DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

KCE 425i
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Pabloelchico

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
KCE 425i

Hi

AndyViking and I exchanged some thoughts on this Alpine unit / interface a while ago, which I have been meaning to pass on. Some info is below. If anyone has bought one, I'd be very interested to hear any feedback (as I'm still trying to convince the boss indoors that it is a necessary purchase....!)

The Unit
The differentiator for this unit is that you can control everything on your sat nav screen. I think it is the only unit that comes close to this. It should look and feel like the screen on your ipod (which is stored in the glove box).

You need both the Apline unit and an ICD touch screen interface. For the manual on the device see: http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/home/p...kce-425i/.

Dealers:
For Alpine dealer locater see: http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/home/support/dealer-locator/

Indicative prices - delaers

My local LR delaers have not heard of the system and will not fit it. However, they recommended that I contact a local fitter (who also happened to be on the Alpine list): Crescent Audio (5 Croydon Road, Penge, 020 8778 3391) quote the KCE 425i for £200, the ICD interface (for touchscreen) at £380, and £60 to fit (2 hours labour). Total £640. I spoke to Ben.

For comparison, Car Audio Technics (01277 230 730, based in Essex) quoted £540 for parts and fitting of approx £80 plus Vat (2 hours labour). So roughly the same as Crescent Audio. I spoke to Richard.

Buying it yourself
Ebay normally has a few Alpine units available. Mixed prices generally on internet from £175-£200.
I also spoke to ICD. They estimate an RRP for the interface of £350 - £400. However, ICD normally sell to trade only, but they mentioned a retail partner who might sell to punters like us. Their number is 0121 502 0999 (I spoke to technical support, who then mentioned the retail arm). To be honest, for a idiot like me (when it comes to vaguely DIY things to do with the car), it doesn't seem a material saving over getting a dealer to buy and fit it.

Warranty
Andy made a good point re whether the unit might invalidate the warranty. I spoke to my local dealer. Although technically a botched job could knacker the system and indeed invalidate the warranty on the affected parts, he says it is rare that the whole warranty is invalidated. Indeed, if there are problems (i,e. a battery being run flat by excessive gadgets) they tend to ask for the offending gadgets to be removed before proceeding with remedial work. I guess it just depends on how pragmatic the delaership is......

Hope this is useful. If anyone has any first hand info, I would be interested to hear

cheers

Post #44164420th Mar 2009 3:49 pm
AndyViking

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I also have the Alpine sales brochure which gives a bit more colour to the thing - PM if you would like a copy as it is 3mb in pdf format and I cannot upload to the gallery at this size (or at lest cannot figure how to...) Embarassed
 D3 - 2008.5MY HSE, Stornaway Grey, RSE etc - all the toys
Grabber AT3s, Smoked Sweeping Side Repeaters
D4 Steering Wheel with BBS boards
IID BT Tool - happy to help with fault codes 

Post #44167820th Mar 2009 5:01 pm
mac.marty

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

there is a secont thread on the Alpine which also includes pictures. The Alpine ICO did not support Land Rover 6 weeks ago and I mailed their support and they could not give me a timeframe. (don´t know if this changed by now) But a little box to break into the most and a y-cable for the IR remote will give you "sort" of control on the navi screen based on the regular TV input layout LR has. (check the links in the other tread). All other input you can do with a IR remote control.

Martin

suggest you continiue here.... http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic23886-15.html

Post #44190121st Mar 2009 7:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >