Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Loss of power in TDV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Namlandy

Namibia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Hi, problems again. Start getting engine system fault mesage on screen, as well as power loss. I already done the EGR valves and it was ok again for about 400km.I took it in to Steves Auto Clinic, they open up and report turbo is faulty. I asked them to close up without changing the turbo and to dino test again, every thing was 100% again. I take it to the road for 1450 km again, problems again. If it is the turbo, why is it on and off? I thought if turbo is faulty it will stay faulty.

Post #76395719th Feb 2011 3:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
scholsio

United Kingdom 

Possible the modulator on the turbo is starting to seize up

Post #76398819th Feb 2011 4:34 pm
Namlandy

If it is the modulator, can it be replaced on its own? I can not think it could be the turbo. My turbo packed up once on a Nissan and that was just smoking. Before I start taking my Disco apart I want to make sure, this is not a days work. If I switch on and off again it seems to work for some time.

Post #76402219th Feb 2011 5:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
penpoll

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi. my D3 year 05 tdv6 HSE lost power twice - both times I had just gone through water - not that deep though!

Post #84015526th Sep 2011 5:31 pm
oceanwarrior

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Loss of Power

I bought my Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE (2008) from a Landrover Dealer with 41k on the clock on Wednesday and drove it home. On Thursday, driving it through the City center it lost power 4 times!. I was moderately accelerating on each occasion and driving at 25 - 30 mph on each occasion. The fault message 'engine system fault' appeared on each occasion. The loss of power felt like the car was slowing to a halt and then after a few seconds it came back to normal again. The 'condition' lasted between 1 and 4 seconds. I have booked it in to my Local Landrover Dealer for them to diagnose. Thankfully I have a 12 months warranty ahead of me although 1 day into my ownership of my Discovery 3 has not filled me with a great deal of confidence! I will post the outcome of my visit. Any suggestions ? I am thinking fuel delivery issue?

Post #91392125th Mar 2012 8:40 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Could be anything from a blocked fuel filter, to a faulty turbo. Need the fault codes read first Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #91392425th Mar 2012 8:56 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
Re: Loss of Power

oceanwarrior wrote:
I bought my Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE (2008) from a Landrover Dealer with 41k

Unfortunately probably why it was chopped in the first place. It took 9 months to solve the similar issues I had, had I known how long it would take to sort I'd have chopped it in a heart beat. If it was me I'd throw it back at the dealer and find another. Mine was only fixed after changing the fuel filter (to one that caused more issues, thanks Ratstones!! Twisted Evil ), intercooler, MAF sensor and MAP sensor, only finally fixing it with the turbo being changed. 9 months of it shutting down, including on busy motorways (very dangerous) and hills, meant SWMBO refused to drive the car til it was fixed, it was that bad. Now fixed & all well but D3 is only an offroader and has been replaced as main family transport. Mr. Green

Post #91397825th Mar 2012 10:40 am
Namlandy

What to replace next? Done the egr valves and had a look at terbo, was running ok. When driving engine system fault come up, and lost off power. On the hawkeye tool I get some codes: P404-exhaust gas recirculation, P48- Turbo boost control selenoid"A" circuit high, P6A-Map mas or volume air flow correlation, P299-Turbo charger underboost, and P132B-turbo boost control A performance. If I step on the throtel it is smoking black. If I stop, switch of and on again it is running fine again. After reset done it once again and run fine for 600km again. I need some info to fix this problem, It is iretating to drive a car with all this nonsens. Bow down

Post #91460626th Mar 2012 8:43 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Split in intercooler hide poss if black smoke. You've got a fooked turbo with those turbo codes, might just need new actuator link.

PS, IMHO, might need more techie input. Whistle

Post #91461026th Mar 2012 8:51 pm
Namlandy

I had a goot look at all that hoses, took them out block them and put air press onn them, put under water, all ok. I think your second one sounds more like it. I use my my Disco maybe once a week for a few km. Stay almost next to sea, verry rusty enviroment, ten to one shaft was stuck. Where can I get some picks how to remove the actuator link? This is my last resort. Thanx

Post #91463226th Mar 2012 9:19 pm
ParaG

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Folks, Been having big loss of power on 'kick down' acceleration with lots of smoke for several weeks on my 54 plate TDV6 HSE. No warning lights at anytime. Checked forum and suspected EGR valves. Had Cambelt change and service last week at local Stratstones. No engine problems reported. Problem still apparent after service, so purchased blanking kit from Bell Autos and have just completed removal of pipes etc this afternoon. Problem still persists! Any thoughs compadre's before it goes in for diagnostic? Many thanks Gareth

Post #94046010th Jun 2012 2:09 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Get yer tea leaves read (fault codes), without that we'll all just be guessing and suggesting the usual suspects. Thumbs Up

Post #94047010th Jun 2012 2:30 pm
ParaG

Cheers DSL. Me thinks that may be only option.

Post #94050110th Jun 2012 4:36 pm
Mark100football

England 
Engine system fault

Hi I have been a land rover tech for 10yrs and have changed about 15 hpp with this fault,loosing drive and suspension fault,engine system fault and F coming up on dash,there was a problem with the bearings breaking up and metal getting in fuel system,first check is taking fuel filter off and drain into a clear cup and check for metal.hope this helps

Post #94324616th Jun 2012 8:45 pm
ParaG

Cheers Mark100, Had tea leaves read on Friday. One EGR valve had gone south but the remaining culprit was a split Intercooler hose. New one installed - happy returns to overtaking again!
Many thanks all.

Post #94332416th Jun 2012 11:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >