Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > IIDTool Help

LR 3 - suspension gaga- have iid tool, need a little help.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Zimmer

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
LR 3 - suspension gaga- have iid tool, need a little help.

I have posted this on other forums too, so hoping someone here can help a bit.

I'm new to the Landrover world, with a 2007 LR3 2.7D.
When purchased, it had a fault with the suspension setting and diagnostics showed up as the rear ride sensor fault. This was replaced. (the rear passenger side, part number LR020159)
I decided I better purchase a Gap IID gap BT device and when it arrived, I calibrated the suspension, 466 mm front and 485 mm rear. Each wheel lifted and fell no problem when calibrating.

The faults are gone and all seemed fine until I move the suspension switch. When I push it forward, the dash reads "off road" mode for a second, the vehicle rises and then goes into "extended" mode.
When I push it rearwards, the dash reads normal suspension mode, vehicle starts to lower, then rises back up and says extended mode again. Keeps doing this every time I try to select "normal" mode.
When I push the switch rearward, it shows "access mode" for a second, starts to lower then says "extended mode" and starts to rise.

The solution of sorts is take it for a drive. The dash then shows suspension fault amber, then red, 30 mph etc etc.
I stop the vehicle and restart the engine, the suspension fault goes away and the suspension switch indicator stays in the middle and it drives away with no more faults until the suspension switch is operated again.

Calibrated the suspension yesterday, removed fuse 26 and this morning 3 of the 4 suspensions had fallen by between 10mm and 25mm (not good eh).

Today, I played around with the switch etc etc until I eventually got "normal mode", or what it deems as normal i.e just the little line lit on the suspension switch. I then checked for faults - none, no symbols on the dash . To be certain cleared all faults with iid
Performed yet another guided calibration, all done exactly with the measuring tape. When the calibration was complete iid said to push eas to enable and started counting down from 6 or so. I ignored this but I went into menu on iid which re enables eas, and did that.
Switched off ignition. Started engine again, all fine, no errors, suspension switch with just line lit all OK.
Pushed suspension switch once downward, it said access mode, immediately said "extended mode" and started lifting the vehicle.
Brought it for a spin, got the usual warnings, stopped, started and kept messing about with the switch until it returned to normal on the switch. When I got back, I checked with the tape and the two front ones were correct and the two rear ones were risen to about 505mm.

My own observaions or assumptions and probably wrong.

I would have expected if there was a wiring issue on the ride sensors, that either the landrover dash or the iid tool would notice something wrong and tell me.

The fact that the suspension switch gets the correct response on the dash, depending on the direction it's pushed, suggests to me that the switch is operating correctly.

Leaks or no leaks, the bags do move up and down fine during calibration.

I swapped the suspension relay R7 / R9 - no effect.

Any ideas for a landrover novice and an iid novice ?

Post #207697518th Aug 2019 10:08 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It could possibly be water in the switch assembly etc which is known to cause problems like you have. With the sinking I would say that the valve blocks front and rear need cleaning and new "O" rings

Post #207700219th Aug 2019 4:07 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi zimmer

Great u followed the link and know the members here are extremely knowledgeable

Going through everything I’m just also wondering if the suspensions ecu has been checked , to ensure no water ingress, bad pin in the connector etc

Hopefully one of the members here can put here’re finger on it

Post #207700619th Aug 2019 5:19 am
gstuart

Globetrotter448 wrote:
It could possibly be water in the switch assembly etc which is known to cause problems like you have. With the sinking I would say that the valve blocks front and rear need cleaning and new "O" rings

Hi buddy

I’ve been chatting with the OP over on LZ and gone through the usual tests errors etc

Seems the main issues is the system keeps going into off road height

Also wondering if maybe a soft drink has been spilt onto the switch , therefore causing a short across the switch and keeps making the suspension go up

Also wondering about the suspensions ecu , it keeps loosing calibration of the height sensors

Know ur wizards here Thumbs Up

Post #207700719th Aug 2019 5:24 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

The issue is that air is not escaping out of the suspension struts quick enough when the car is requested to lower.

This could be:

1) The exhaust valve. This is part of the compressor. You can get service kits, however the bolt can snap when you go to fit it, so be warned.

2) It's possible the air valves (front and rear) are full of white stuff and blocking things.
If the car lowers after the car has been parked overnight, this also points to this.
You can get seals on ebay for ~£15, but the rear one is a pain to change.

3) ensuring the park brake is off when you request the car to lower helps.

4) suspension calibration. But you have done that

Normally when you drive above 30mph the car will lower itself.

Post #207717219th Aug 2019 4:52 pm
gstuart

Nice one pete

Always great having a fresh set of eyes on it Thumbs Up

Good to know , as when the suspension lowering and then going straight back up to extended i assumed was height sensor, switch or ecu

But makes sense if it doesn’t go down quick enough will return

Knew u would know Bow down

Post #207718919th Aug 2019 5:32 pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 

I had the problem with the suspension going into extended mode when the car attempted to lower to access mode. For me, it ended up being a worn/sticking front strut. I replaced both front struts and the problem was resolved.
 Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey 

Post #207719719th Aug 2019 6:04 pm
gstuart

Hi

That’s really weird u saying that as when I first got mine the front useto go straight Into extended , also dropped over night

Replaced front struts , sorted , plus what a difference it made on the ride quality

Did have to do other work but stopped that annoying extended error Thumbs Up Bow down

Also tested it again when I removed the front strut

Post #207726419th Aug 2019 8:09 pm
Zimmer

Thanks all for the replies guys and gstuart, you must be sick of me by now. Laughing

Didn't have chance to go near the discovery, other than I calibrated the suspension once more and made sure NOT to touch the switch, and will see what happens.

Having an electrical background, I am used to fault finding but clearly not on landrovers.

My own uneducated observations on the theories, bear in mind I am not disputing anything, because I haven't a clue, but just thinking out loud.

@globetrotter firstly thanks for the reply
re. the switch being dodgy/wet theory
it seems dry, there is no sunroof and each time I press forward or rearward, it always delivers the appropriate message on the dash. Also the virtual buttons on gap iid exhibits the same traits as the normal button. Also once the switch is left untouched, there are no suspension messages appearing on the dash, while any physical movement of the switch immediately brings up a suspension message. Conventional wisdom would suggest unlikely to be open or short circuited in the the actual switching mechanism.

@Pete k again thanks for the reply.
re. the air exhaust blocked theory !
If after calibrating the suspensions, and I push the switch forward once, shouldn't I get "off road" mode, before any deflation would be required ?, I don't, it always carries on to "extended mode"

@gstuart thanks for all your help.
Haven't looked at the suspension ecu or anything yet.

@knwatkins
Thanks for the reply
Dunno m8 Big Cry

To be honest was hoping iid tool was going to tell what was wrong, but alas.

Post #207728219th Aug 2019 8:53 pm
gstuart

Hiya

Nothing like a challenge Whistle

Also wondered , have u checked ur steering wheel angle is correct and also using the iid checking the live data for ur wheel speed sensors to ensure everything is 100% and can rule it out

What colour was that new height sensor please , thks

Also some ECU info for u in case below in next post Thumbs Up

The air suspension control module is located behind the instrument panel, on the driver's side 'A' post. The control module is attached to the 'A' post with a single screw and two plastic clips

Last edited by gstuart on 19th Aug 2019 10:29 pm. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #207729219th Aug 2019 10:03 pm
gstuart

Oops, messed that up abit , sorry about that , here’s the connector numbers

Also wondering , ref connector C2030 PIN number 20 , If u put a multimeter probe into the back of the height switch wires at the ecu

With nothing being touched , See if there voltage , then press the lever up or down, check readout , then ensure the switch isn’t being touched and see if a signal is still being intermittently sent surely that proves if it’s ok or not and not shorting out

Plus I would also assume u can back probe other wires at the ecu

Also when u press the lever and it starts going to extended mode, open ur drivers door please, height should stop

Don’t know what u guys think plse , Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #207729319th Aug 2019 10:09 pm
Zimmer

Thanks again m8, will have to start checking some of those connections.

Haven't checked wheel sensors or steering angle.
Only used iid to read/clear faults and calibrate suspension.

I am pretty certain there is no intermittent fault in the switch, because it has never brought up a suspension message on the dash when it is left untouched, but there is an instant response, every time the switch is physically moved in either direction.

The height sensor was black as far as I recall. It came in this box and was fitted to the rear passenger wheel.

Post #207730319th Aug 2019 10:54 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just out of the blue, you do have it in highway mode (other switch) Embarassed

Post #207730919th Aug 2019 11:57 pm
gstuart

[quote="Zimmer"]Thanks again m8, will have to start checking some of those connections.

Haven't checked wheel sensors or steering angle.
Only used iid to read/clear faults and calibrate suspension.

I am pretty certain there is no intermittent fault in the switch, because it has never brought up a suspension message on the dash when it is left untouched, but there is an instant response, every time the switch is physically moved in either direction.

The height sensor was black as far as I recall. It came in this box and was fitted to the rear passenger wheel.

Hi

Thks and Indeed was just a thought

Also as the ABS and steering wheel angle sensor are part of the suspension it was just ensuring those systems were spot on and easy to rule out Thumbs Up

don’t know why but that height sensor is bugging me , thought it had to be white for the rear left, I’ll check that out if I may , also something I think about 3 and. 6 pin connectors for them

But at the end of the day there are gurus here who really know there stuff when it comes to these vehicles

Will let u know what I find out about the height sensor, imagine it’s right, but just wish to 100% check it Thumbs Up

Post #207733020th Aug 2019 7:10 am
gstuart

Found this and says it should be white

Could the wrong sensor possibly have been in the wrong box ????

Doubt it, but are u able to see the part number on the height sensor plse Thumbs Up

Part number lr020159 is correct , but going by the tech sheet should be white

Yeh i know I need to get out more Whistle

Ps, ur find the iid has such an extensive amount of diagnostics, inc a lot of live data for all the height sensors , compressor etc , is very impressive

Link to the iid manual , good evening reading Laughing

https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/support/documents/IIDTool/

Post #207733120th Aug 2019 7:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >