DISCO4.COM > General

Misfuel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

pete57 wrote:
How do you reply and make it say "Pete wrote" because my replies never show this?

Use the "Quote" button to the bottom right of the post you want to quote from Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #269569th Nov 2005 9:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
W6CJW

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I know its a new 35k car but hey £20= 21 lts ish! Old Indian rope trick! fill the beast to the brim with derv another 60 ish ltrs motor will run fine drive for 100 miles top up again repeat every 100 miles for 400 ish miles.... Surprised works every time Very Happy (when the motor has a big tank and a little petrol added)
Not much use with gobal warming but in very cold climates and in the UK many years ago some lorry drivers would add a few gallons of petrol to stop the derv freezing in the winter.
 D4 3.0 HSE cameras,Hybrid TV, 20" alloys, heated wheel, privacy, Tow pack.
Departed RRS TDV8 HSE Full Arden kit in TEAL and colour coded everything.
Departed Disco 3 2.7 HSE

I never drive faster than I can see! 

Post #269859th Nov 2005 1:11 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

W6CJW wrote:
I know its a new 35k car but hey £20= 21 lts ish! Old Indian rope trick! fill the beast to the brim with derv another 60 ish ltrs motor will run fine drive for 100 miles top up again repeat every 100 miles for 400 ish miles.... Surprised works every time Very Happy (when the motor has a big tank and a little petrol added)
Not much use with gobal warming but in very cold climates and in the UK many years ago some lorry drivers would add a few gallons of petrol to stop the derv freezing in the winter.
Need to be careful with that, the petrol will increase injector tip temperatures, possibly causing them to melt Shocked it can also cause damage to the catalytic converter.... which costs a lot more than having the tank drained  
Post #269889th Nov 2005 1:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pete57

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:
W6CJW wrote:
Need to be careful with that, the petrol will increase injector tip temperatures, possibly causing them to melt Shocked it can also cause damage to the catalytic converter.... which costs a lot more than having the tank drained

Thought about brimming it, but the car had only 6 miles on the clock. daren't risk it.
Pete
 D3 Buckingham Blue SE Auto
BMW 325i Convertible
Fiesta 1.4 Zetec
Fiesta1.4TDCi 

Post #269999th Nov 2005 3:08 pm
kishan

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Misfuel

Hello Every One,

I am Kishan & writing from Sri Lanka. I'm new to the web site Smile

I placed my order for a Disco3 SE TdV6. 2006 model due to be shipped in Jan 06.

My question is has any of you lot had a problem with topping up fuel ?. The dealer here told me All 3 Discos that were imported a 4.4 V8 & a 4.0 V6 had the problem of fuel gushing out when tried to top up. They eventually rectified the problem with a local modification to the fuel overflow line which they say was the cause. Confused

They still haven't imported any TdV6s yet & I will be in the 1st 5-7 units that will be comming.

Hope my choice is right.

regards,

Kishan

(Previously owned Toyota Landcruiser Colorado)

Post #2785414th Nov 2005 8:04 am
BN

England 

kishan wrote:
Hello Every One,

I am Kishan & writing from Sri Lanka. I'm new to the web site Smile

I placed my order for a Disco3 SE TdV6. 2006 model due to be shipped in Jan 06.

My question is has any of you lot had a problem with topping up fuel ?. The dealer here told me All 3 Discos that were imported a 4.4 V8 & a 4.0 V6 had the problem of fuel gushing out when tried to top up. They eventually rectified the problem with a local modification to the fuel overflow line which they say was the cause. Confused

They still haven't imported any TdV6s yet & I will be in the 1st 5-7 units that will be comming.

Hope my choice is right.

regards,

Kishan

(Previously owned Toyota Landcruiser Colorado)

Hi Kishan, welcome to the site. Some of your fuel pumps in Sri Lanka are faster than in other countries and the cutouts not so sensitive. They are less well regulated unless you go to international branded stations and even then they have variations. Have you found the same problem in internationally known filling stations?

Post #2786014th Nov 2005 10:04 am
DrLex

Iceland 

pete57 wrote:
...On collecting the car I was presented with a bill for £470.09. This did include £38.89 of diesel fuel. ... Crying or Very sad

Not really of comfort, but the weekend Telegraph's motoring column had a story of similar woe, except for the fact that the car was a German one (BMW X5 or MB M320) and the key was not turned. The bill was still of the same order as Pete paid, but the quote for if key turned was mentioned to be £6,500 Shocked Shocked Shocked
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #2790114th Nov 2005 2:12 pm
BN

England 

DrLex wrote:
pete57 wrote:
...On collecting the car I was presented with a bill for £470.09. This did include £38.89 of diesel fuel. ... Crying or Very sad

Not really of comfort, but the weekend Telegraph's motoring column had a story of similar woe, except for the fact that the car was a German one (BMW X5 or MB M320) and the key was not turned. The bill was still of the same order as Pete paid, but the quote for if key turned was mentioned to be £6,500 Shocked Shocked Shocked

That is just b****y absurd.

Post #2790214th Nov 2005 2:14 pm
pete57

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

pete57 wrote:
DrLex wrote:
pete57 wrote:

I was told that if the key was turned and the engine started , the bill would have been in the thousands! Glad i didn't have a BMW X5. Pete
 D3 Buckingham Blue SE Auto
BMW 325i Convertible
Fiesta 1.4 Zetec
Fiesta1.4TDCi 

Post #2797514th Nov 2005 9:06 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

when I took delivery of my TD4 last year I was specificly told that if a mis fuel happened and the key was turned LR would only honour the rest of the warranty if the whole fuel system was replaced at a cost of around £5500!
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #2797614th Nov 2005 9:09 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

On a larger scale, the Glasgow Evening News reported that on Wednesday 16th Nov a tanker driver put diesel into the petrol tank at Morrisons Supermarket at Burnside near Glasgow. Morrisons claim that only a small number of vehicles were filled before the error was detected.

In Evening News also said that in the Summer a similar mistake was made at an ASDA Supermarket in Dunfermline. However in this case it took 10 hours for the cause of the problem with vehicles to be traced back to the filling station. I suspect people thought they were at blame.

Makes one wonder how often this sort of thing happens.

Post #2861220th Nov 2005 7:40 pm
BN

England 

zig wrote:
On a larger scale, the Glasgow Evening News reported that on Wednesday 16th Nov a tanker driver put diesel into the petrol tank at Morrisons Supermarket at Burnside near Glasgow. Morrisons claim that only a small number of vehicles were filled before the error was detected.

In Evening News also said that in the Summer a similar mistake was made at an ASDA Supermarket in Dunfermline. However in this case it took 10 hours for the cause of the problem with vehicles to be traced back to the filling station. I suspect people thought they were at blame.

Makes one wonder how often this sort of thing happens.

Cross filling is thankfully rare. It is down to the tanker driver and manager to cross reference each other when refuelling the stations tanks.

Post #2861920th Nov 2005 9:11 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

a few years ago, a mate of mine had the keys for a ( and still might have ..) peugeot 405 diesel, and it being empty, started to brim it at a pit stop. At 3 gallons he noticed it was a green pump, and without any drama switched to the black one to finish off the other 9. ( 2 of us were in the car at the time trying ignore night and were paying no attention to anything ) , and off we went within 10 mins of stopping, loaded up with ginsters and fiz.

About 90 mins later, the conversation got around to " a funny thing happend to me at the last pit stop ". Something about the counter lady thinking someone had driven off without paying for 3 gallons of green, and not having the ability to count the full complement of ginsters,

the 405 didn't miss a beat but is wasn't ours
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #2862420th Nov 2005 9:51 pm
Paul J.

United Kingdom 
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but ....

I had the misfortune Embarassed to misfuel today Big Cry

Having read this thread many moons ago, I was careful to remove the fuel pump fuse before switching on the ignition to release the park brake. I have told the dealership of these actions. Does anyone know what bill I should expect for the fuel tank to be drained and flushed in these circumstances?

Sods law meant the I had put £50 of Tescos 'Finest' green pump in before realising my mistake Banging Head so I'm already that much down (plus £20 taxi fares for the family & shopping bags)

Paul

Post #760225th Aug 2006 9:26 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I don't know how much it will cost you, but it will be a hell of a lot less than it would have cost if you had not pulled the fuse. Comiserations, but well done also Wink

Post #760275th Aug 2006 9:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >