DISCO4.COM > Africa

New TorqTune - The Box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
IronMan

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
New TorqTune - The Box

Hi guys,

Been using the new TorqTune box for just over a month and decided it is time for some formal feedback..
The new TT box is basically the TT software contained on in a small box format with jumper settings to allow you to “play” with the performance of the D3. It is simple to install (note the engine must be cold ) and because of the size fits very neat with the supplied cable in the spare battery compartment.
The benefits of this new unit are multiple:
1) When you trade the D3 for a new one you take the box with you Very Happy
2) You get a mask plug which allows you to remove the box for servicing or when you do not want to use the tune – which you don’t want to do anyway Twisted Evil
3) The easy access to jumpers allows you to “tune” the D3 for to your own preference Thumbs Up
4) Small footprint
5) The TorqTune performance speaks for itself, trust me once you have it you cannot be without it.. changing the settings yourself.. even more rewarding! Bow down Mr. Green

The performance:
Like I mentioned above, been using it for well over a month now, have had the opportunity to try and test it in different environments and driving conditions. I must also mention that this is now on a MY08 model and I used to have the normal TT on my MY05 model too, thus no hesitation to go this route again. (TDV6 SE)

Mixed cycle I was getting on average 11.8 l/100Km. With the TT box setting 2 notches up from standard and one below max I now get between 10.9 – 11.3 during a mixed cycle.
What is even more impressive is the numbers when I have the FrontRunner roof rack on. I get 11.4 l/100Km consistent with this, which is very impressive compared to the 12.4 l/100Km I got before!!
What is furthermore impressive is the fact that I’m currently running Cooper STT tyres on the D3 thus in theory I should have seen the figures change which has not happened.

Smoke: I have noticed NO increase in smoke when driving, which is very interesting.

Trailer: I have mot accumulate enough data yet towing my Conqueror Supra trailer. I have extensive data of towing it before the TT box and will use this in a later comparison.

I’m heading off to Swodana again next week for more diving (PADI Mr. Green ).. I will update again on the performance when back.

OK so consumption is one fact, but NOTHING is like it when you put your foot down and this baby rockets past 4000 RPM’s and blast past a BMW X5 3.0d ... the grin Mr. Green it puts on your face is something I guess only us men can appreciate according to IronWoman..
Playing with the jumpers is FUN!! You feel and see how the REVS changes and MAN it GOES!! Mr. Green

Here is the TT Box in the spare battery box location:

Here is the TT Box Size (small, fits in my hand)

Here is the front cover showing the jumpers and how easy it is to set yourself.
 I'm TorqTuned  
Post #30179122nd May 2008 9:34 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Nice review IronMan...

Do you think there is any possibility to route the cabling into the cabin of the D3 rather than leaving the box in the engine bay?

You mentioned you previously had a MY05 with a re-map....how does the new box compare to a 'proper' re-map?

Have you tried it on 'max-power' settings yet?

Cheers and thanks for the info Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #30180222nd May 2008 10:10 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a dual battery system in my D3 '07 S model. I am sure there is enough space left in the 2nd battery box to snuck in the TT box. However, the cables linking the two batteries run in between the engine and the "upper sill" - not sure whether one will be able to get in there where the box plugs into the engine.

Maybe Baben can inform Question

Post #30181722nd May 2008 10:43 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi IronMan

Awesome review!

I have to state right here and now that IronMan actually paid for his 'Box, just in case you think we have some kind of arrangement....

Deon - no problem - this thing is so small you can tuck it in anywhere. Its fairly weatherproof, so it doesn't need mollycoddling. I have the same dual battery setup as you, and can confirm there is room for more cables. It also fits fine in the other battery box, and I am sure we will find more locations as we fit more.

PaulP - I am not sure you would be able to route the cables into the cabin. Firstly there are fairly big plugs on the cable so I doubt you wold get it thru the firewall, plus I don't think its long enough. There is no necessity to have the box in the cabin, TBH. Once you have chosen a setting, you will leave it there, and you don't need another piece of kit to clutter the cabin.

Post #30206322nd May 2008 6:21 pm
MB

England 

Hi guys

how much does the new box cost Question and were does it plug in too Question

cheers Thumbs Up

Post #30207122nd May 2008 6:51 pm
Doc

United States 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

HI Baben

I'm in Durban - anyone here who can fit the unit? Can I try the DIY route. Please PM me a quotation.

Thanks

Post #30207722nd May 2008 7:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
TT Box

Baben,
Could you please PM me a quotation for the TT Box.
Ironman has awakened my diesel power hormones and
they are driving me up the wall.

Cheers.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #30350627th May 2008 5:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

not wanting to put 10fc out of business, how much is that box ?

cheers

pom

Post #30351927th May 2008 6:38 pm
Baben

Doc, Discoeast - done

Pom, sorry mate, I can't help you with this in the UK - can you please chat to 10FC? The Box should be around the same price as a remap

Post #30402229th May 2008 6:39 am
MB

England 

Hi Baben

Does the box work the same as a remap ?

i.e gives out the same hp/nm as a remap ?

cheers Thumbs Up

Post #3049811st Jun 2008 3:12 pm
powerklick

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I guess it would depend on who's remap you actually use.

I know most Diesel Boxes give between 30-40bhp and remaps could be anything from 25-50bhp.

Post #3049831st Jun 2008 3:18 pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

How do these boxes work? Do they just 'trick' the main ECU by altering the signals it receives from the various sensors?

Post #3051441st Jun 2008 11:00 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

MB wrote:
Hi Baben

Does the box work the same as a remap ?

i.e gives out the same hp/nm as a remap ?

cheers Thumbs Up

A remap will always be more integrated into the engine management as it resides at source so to speak. A box would alter what the ECU is doing rather than work with it. As far as I know.

Post #3051591st Jun 2008 11:44 pm
Baben

Powerklick thanks for your answers. Thumbs Up
The box will never be the same as a remap, because it works in a different way. For our market in Africa (hence the reason this is posted on the Africa forum 8) ) the box is a very useful option seeing as it can be installed by the end-user.
The reults of the box and remap are quite different, and I have said this many times in previous threads, plus our (not very scientific Shocked ) performance data supports this, with the exception of fuel economy, which seems to be pretty much the same for both options,

There is a lot more detail in this thread:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic21588.html
Please let me know if I can offer any more details

Post #3051912nd Jun 2008 7:26 am
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Baben,
Any news on the boxes.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #31088616th Jun 2008 4:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >