Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Site News & Feedback

One time posters !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
One time posters !

I should start by saying that this isn’t aimed at anyone in particular.

I am enrolled with half a dozen or so car related forums, and am active in a couple relating to Land Rover and Mercedes, and view, but don’t often post in a couple relating to MGs.

I am getting increasing frustrated with “One time posters” who usually post saying that they have a problem and advice or seeking assistance. A few members then respond, often very helpfully, sometimes raising relevant questions, but nothing further is heard from the OP, no thanks...nothing. Common courtesy surely requires at least a second post.

The other issue about these posts is that very often the OPs problem would have been answered in any event if they had bothered to search the forum before posting.

Sadly I can't see a way of reducing the number of One time posters

[Rant over]

NJSS

Post #232227011th Jan 2023 11:59 am
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I think that may belong on the 'Whats got on your GOAT' thread!!
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #232228211th Jan 2023 12:43 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Agree. Thumbs Up It's frustrating and inconsiderate.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #232231011th Jan 2023 3:57 pm
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

sadly, that's simply life & you get it on all forum subjects.

Unfortunately the search facilities on most forum software are not very good resulting in too few (if any) answers, use google & you end up with too much.

Some people are quite happy to still help with no thanks from the OP.

If the one times bother anyone then they just ignore them.

Post #232234211th Jan 2023 8:29 pm
SN

As vehicles age this becomes common - more and more disappointed second hand owners finding out how expensive it is to do anything on a Premium 4x4 after just spending a relative pittance on getting the car of their dreams - remember the Disco 3 was actually replaced by the Disco 4 over 12 years ago, and even the Disco 4 production line died sometime around 6 years ago.
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #232236011th Jan 2023 11:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You know a model is getting long in the tooth when your youngest sons mate turns up in a Disco 3 he’s bought, that’s 4 years newer than the one you first got when the model had just launched. Whistle

Post #232236111th Jan 2023 11:51 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Re: One time posters !

NJSS wrote:

I am enrolled with half a dozen or so car related forums, and am active in a couple relating to Land Rover and Mercedes, and view, but don’t often post in a couple relating to MGs.

I am getting increasing frustrated with “One time posters” who usually post saying that they have a problem and advice or seeking assistance. A few members then respond, often very helpfully, sometimes raising relevant questions, but nothing further is heard from the OP, no thanks...nothing. Common courtesy surely requires at least a second post.

The other issue about these posts is that very often the OPs problem would have been answered in any event if they had bothered to search the forum before posting.

[Rant over]

NJSS

I get this and I agree. I too am on a few other car forums and one time posters get fairly short shrift on some of the FB groups where using the 'search' function is much more emphasised BEFORE posting.

I am probably still in my 'short trousers' as a member of this forum but the search function is a mine of information. It always baffles me why new people don't use it. Maybe therein lies a point. Should the search function be higher profile? Easier to spot and with 'use this first' or similar.

Just my lowly view. Back to my crayons and wide eyed glances at the 'big boys' posts...

Thumbs Up
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #232236512th Jan 2023 12:31 am
GLYNNE

England 

Gareth wrote:
You know a model is getting long in the tooth when your youngest sons mate turns up in a Disco 3 he’s bought, that’s 4 years newer than the one you first got when the model had just launched. Whistle

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
My daughter has D4 and my mates daughter a D3 so I know exactly where your coming from. I only mentioned this last Sunday to SWMBO saying how old I feel now Big Cry

Post #232237212th Jan 2023 1:31 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

NJSS wrote:

[Rant over]

NJSS

I think the main reason is they just don’t know the search function is there, it might be a good idea to make it more predominant but then you would have visitors who just “hit and run” without putting any input to the forum. I find what’s worse are members who ask and get advice to rectify a problem and then cannot be bothered to post the final outcome. Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #232238712th Jan 2023 9:47 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

GLYNNE wrote:
Gareth wrote:

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
My daughter has D4 and my mates daughter a D3 so I know exactly where your coming from. I only mentioned this last Sunday to SWMBO saying how old I feel now Big Cry

Laughing Tell me about it. In my head I'm still 26! I've just bought a 2008 D3 for my 17 year old daughter which would have made her 3 when it was built Shocked We picked her up from hospital when she was born in 2005 in my first D3, the Old Bus, which was the best car ever. Big Cry At least I've suffered the pain of ownership so have my eyes wide open! Laughing
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #232239712th Jan 2023 10:50 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Gareth wrote:
You know a model is you're getting long in the tooth when your youngest sons mate turns up in a Disco 3 he’s bought, that’s 4 years newer than the one you first got when the model had just launched. Whistle

FTFY Mr. Green
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #232240112th Jan 2023 11:16 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

NJSS wrote:

I am getting increasing frustrated with “One time posters” who usually post saying that they have a problem and advice or seeking assistance.

+1

Most even don’t bother to say hi or hello…

An mandatory introduction, needed before having to option to post in other topics, might help.
I have seen it on other forum’s but i do not know if software on this forum does provide that option..

Tbh, my motivation to look and help on this forum does decline (i noticed) because of that behaviour Big Cry
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #232247112th Jan 2023 10:31 pm
RSRowe

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

NJSS wrote:
I am getting increasing frustrated with “One time posters” who usually post saying that they have a problem and advice or seeking assistance.

The easiest thing to do, would be not getting annoyed at stuff people post on the internet. You'll live a much more stress-free life.

Sincerely,

Low post count member

Post #232249113th Jan 2023 7:58 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

This ^ Thumbs Up

There are many more issues in the world that you should concentrate your frustration towards, than a random person in the Internet Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #232249213th Jan 2023 8:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bubblehead

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 3

I get the point of the post. I have asked many questions on many groups. Bikes, land rovers, boats, all sorts.
Some I am not a regular contributor to, some I am.
But, in my opinion, basic manners go along way, an introduction, request for help then a thanks are very simple.
If people have the interest to reply in the hope it may help then a simple thank you goes a long way..
 2005 Disco3 HSE Auto 😁  
Post #232261314th Jan 2023 1:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >