Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

permenant disablment of stop start on D5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
fenair

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
permenant disablment of stop start on D5

I am taking delivery of a 2018 3.0 HSE D5 Commercial Friday, after 3 years of excellent service from a 2015 D4 commercial, on the D4 you can remove the battery cable from the auxiliary battery to prevent the stop start function without having to press the override button every time you start the truck.
The D5 apparently doesn't have a similar set up so does anyone here with actual knowledge of how to disable this annoying function permanently without switch activation?

I am lead to believe the D5 uses a capacitor set up to activate the starter, where is this and can it be disconnected or will this sling up a limp mode fault?

Has anyone done this mod?

TIA
Pat
 Land rover S2a 2.5 109
Range Rover 3.5 2 door
Range Rover 3.9Efi
Disco 1 3.9 5 Door V8
Disco 2 V8 SE Manual
Disco 2 V8 Metropolis
Full Fat Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 V8
Disco 3 S Commercial
Freelander Commercial
D4 Commercial 2015 SE Corris Grey
RR SDV8 Vogue SE
D5 3.0 Commercial HSE Corris Grey 

Post #22600363rd Nov 2021 8:22 am
al cope

England 

Why?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #22600423rd Nov 2021 8:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

From another forum:-

Quote:
Stop/Start is designed to wreck the engine and sell new cars. And whilst it does have a huge impact on the planet - it's not the way you think.

Using the car normally with it running in traffic will keep the engine warm reducing emissions, will keep the battery charged meaning it all operates correctly, means you can drive in and out of gaps in traffic safety without endangering yourself or other road users, keeps the AC running so the windows are clear so you can see to drive safety, and the tiny amount of fuel used during the car's long life is around 99 tonnes less CO2 than the manufacture intended by fitting start stop ... and you buying another car

I agree with Fenair and disable Stop/Start on all my cars.

NJSS

Post #22600453rd Nov 2021 8:56 am
fenair

Why Al, because it will be equipped with a 4000W inverter so depending on repair times on machines in the middle of fields and quarry's we need a lot of power so the engine needs to be running if we get low on auxiliary power, we need the alternator charging, we run 240V & 110V pumps, compressor, power tools and if its night time site lights, maybe land rover didn't think someone might actually use a commercial to work with off road rather than look a big cheese on a building site or desperate to save £250 RFT by having a bench seat in the back to take the kids 200 yards down the road to school.... the option to switch it off once instead of a momentary switch which you have to remember to press every time is a pain, lastly engines with cam belts never last long with excessive start stopping, let alone with 3.5 ton on the tow hitch on a hill, again i'm in the 0.010% i suppose so should be ashamed .. Laughing Laughing
 Land rover S2a 2.5 109
Range Rover 3.5 2 door
Range Rover 3.9Efi
Disco 1 3.9 5 Door V8
Disco 2 V8 SE Manual
Disco 2 V8 Metropolis
Disco 3 S Commercial
Freelander Commercial
RR SDV8 Vogue SE

Post #22600493rd Nov 2021 9:00 am
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I would think there is no physical way to disable it permanently as it’s one of the ways it achieves its lower emissions rating. For this reason I doubt it’s an option with IID or software either….. but worth a check with the IID.

If you are running a large draw (4000w inverter for example) it won’t allow switch off as the battery drain would be huge. You can prevent start stop by making sure the parameters aren’t met for it to enable.

Perhaps use it for a while and see if it’s an issue as the software may actually help you out in your instance.
 A mod a week until I have nothing to improve or add.  
Post #22600503rd Nov 2021 9:09 am
fenair

Was my thoughts, IID didn't show it on the D4, it would be accessible by JLR dealer but they wont do it for the reasons you state as its part of the format of the car, i will be putting a separate air compressor in the rear so will search out the capacitor and disconnect it and see what happens, i can always reinstate and clear the faults down with IID
 Land rover S2a 2.5 109
Range Rover 3.5 2 door
Range Rover 3.9Efi
Disco 1 3.9 5 Door V8
Disco 2 V8 SE Manual
Disco 2 V8 Metropolis
Disco 3 S Commercial
Freelander Commercial
RR SDV8 Vogue SE

Post #22600553rd Nov 2021 9:19 am
Dondiddy

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

[quote="NJSS"]From another forum:-

Quote:
Stop/Start is designed to wreck the engine and sell new cars. And whilst it does have a huge impact on the planet - it's not the way you think.

Using the car normally with it running in traffic will keep the engine warm reducing emissions, will keep the battery charged meaning it all operates correctly, means you can drive in and out of gaps in traffic safety without endangering yourself or other road users, keeps the AC running so the windows are clear so you can see to drive safety, and the tiny amount of fuel used during the car's long life is around 99 tonnes less CO2 than the manufacture intended by fitting start stop ... and you buying another car

That statement in itself is certainly a load of hot air! Whistle

Post #22600593rd Nov 2021 9:29 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I would try the old trick of shorting out the bonnet catch to make the car think its bonnet is open, this normally works to disable it.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #22600783rd Nov 2021 10:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I would seriously just try it out as I don't think you'll need to do anything to it.

As long as its on the engine won't stop if the current draw is large.... also if start/stop has activated and you then request large current it will start up.

Appreciate that you will need to probably depress the brake for it to restart.....

Its annoying, I too use my commercial as a van but all my equipment is battery powered including compressor so I don't have this issue...... I can see and appreciate the frustration for your usage, and II hope you get a work around solution.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts comparing the D4 & 5 when using as a commercial once you've had it a while. Thumbs Up
 A mod a week until I have nothing to improve or add.  
Post #22600813rd Nov 2021 11:06 am
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Doesn't unclipping the seatbelt disable the SS? I am sure it does on the D4 when I was trying ways to stop it. Obviously not the desired effect long term, but would keep the engine running when you are in it.
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #22601713rd Nov 2021 7:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >