Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

potential caravan change advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
dunton10

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
potential caravan change advice please

In 2015 I downsized from a twin axle Elddis Crusader to a new Coachman VIP 575/4. Transverse island bed with an end washroom. We've caravanned for over 30 years and had a variety of vans usually keeping them for between 5/7 years.

Ive always missed the space of the twin axle but mainly I cant get on with the layout, despite my wife liking it.

To cut a long story short there have been a few issues with the coachman from new which i found frustrating as I bought it after much research, based on perceived better quality build and customer service above industry standards. After last winter lay up damp was found in march 2017 which was eventually repaired at the Coachman factory in September 2017.

So I've been thinking of changing as Ive lost confidence and I dont want to throw good money after bad and make a bigger mistake. So I though I would ask for opinions on here.

Ive seen two vans that I like the look of both rear fixed bed, central washroom models albeit different bed positioning.
1. A Swift elegance 650 2017 and
2. Lunar Delta RI 2017

Both have fors and against in my opinion.
Swift
larger lounge area/plush bedroom/looks very upmarket/ but importantly modern HT construction. Better build quality/better aftermarket back up?

Lunar
I like the gas locker lid/excellent lighting/large panoramic sun roof (potential for leaks?)/ v large bathroom/lounge seats seem better than Elegance. Seems light and airy and £4k cheaper than the elegance but old style construction methods.

Anyone got any experience/feedback on either of these? Problems/issues whilst owned? What have you liked etc.

i really want to like the Lunar but having researched on line there seems more horror stories with the Lunar than the Swift particularly delamination of the floor and damp/leaks and I keep thinking "leaky lunar". is this justified?

Equipment levels are much the same as the VIP, and seem similar between both these contenders.

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance. Should I perhaps just keep the VIP that would please the wife!

steve
 Currently 2015 D4 SE Tech, Corris Grey
RLD Protector, led interior lights, timed climate, towing equipment
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #192985024th Mar 2018 7:01 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think the UK caravan industry is very poor. There are too many horror stories with most of the major brands.

Personally I’d look at the continental offerings if I was in the market for a new van.

Post #192985424th Mar 2018 7:26 pm
Pelyma

England 

Sadly I think you’re right Gareth. Our Fleetwood is 10 years old and damp has been a constant problem with sky lights, windows, awning rails and panel joins having been completed and never been an absolute cure.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #192985724th Mar 2018 7:50 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have a 2007 swift 590 which has just been serviced at a dealership. Less than 10% damp registered at all test points. Service manager said this was practically unheard of!

But back to the OP, my in-laws have a 2016 lunar and have had nothing but trouble. Including serious damp in the front panel. Neutral

Post #192986824th Mar 2018 8:17 pm
Washwipe

England 

Have a Swift Elegance coming up three years old, can’t really fault it, problems have been dealt with by Swift,
Panaramic Window seal became detached which Swift sent a couple of guys out and replaced the window at home, not through the dealer.
Fridge failed last year, a few of the Swift owners have had issues with them, supplied by Thetford, always had Dometic units in the past, replaced at the last service.
Certainly feels better built than the Baileys we’ve had in the past.

Post #192988524th Mar 2018 9:21 pm
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If you want problems buy a Landrover Rolling with laughter

Post #192988924th Mar 2018 9:27 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Naaaa! Buy a Merc!
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #192989124th Mar 2018 9:35 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Not that it helps as you are looking at newer vans we have a 2009 Swift Charisma TA with negligible damp, how much of that is down to it being pitched for most of its earlier life remains to be seen.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #192989324th Mar 2018 9:37 pm
dunton10

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Interesting, keep them coming folks.

Sean that's what im worried about problems with the caravan and the disco. where to spend the money first.
Seriously the D4 has been faultless and the D3 previously only had a couple of issues in 8 years of ownership.
I hate it when things dont do what they are supposed to and the main thing I want my caravan to do is keep the weather out. the rest are luxuries that ive become more accustomed to as I've got older.

I hope Russell is on later with his thoughts on his Elegance.
 Currently 2015 D4 SE Tech, Corris Grey
RLD Protector, led interior lights, timed climate, towing equipment
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #192989724th Mar 2018 9:44 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

We currently have a 2015 Lunar Clubman which we’ve owned from new. We’ve had a few ‘niggles’ with it, but none more so than others have had with other makes. It’s true that Lunar use traditional methods of construction, but it doesn’t make it any worse than ones built using new methods with fancy names - SoLID, SmartHT, Alutec, etc., etc. I work closely with the caravan industry, and basically, those using the newer methods suggest that if water gets in, it won’t cause problems. To me the answer is simple - don’t let water get in in the first place.

With ANY make (UK or continental), due to the nature of them being nailed together by humans, they all have lemons - believe me, I’ve seen plenty of so called bomb-proof Continental models with issues. It’s a bit like German cars. When was the last time that you heard a BMW owner admitting that they’d made a mistake?

Coachman have a reputation for building good quality caravans, but sadly over the past few years there’s a question mark over that reputation, as you’ve experienced.

Rather like cars, if you do encounter any issues, you want a dealer that you can rely on to sort things out.

What I will say is that Swift models do feel more solid than Lunar. Lunar have a reputation for building lighter weight caravans, and the weight has to be saved somewhere. I’m not saying they’re flimsy, but they don’t feel quite as solid.

Take your choice - Boggy Bailey, Soggy Swift, Leaky Lunar etc., etc.

We are happy with our Lunar now that the minor ‘niggles’ have been sorted. I have no product loyalty at all, and indeed have owned several Swift products in the past. I’d be happy to have either (providing we get a good one of course, which is a lottery).

Post #192992524th Mar 2018 10:34 pm
trailhound

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

One of my pals bought a new top of the range Lunar last year and has had really bad issues. So bad he went to the caravan show and made a bit of a scene. The van was swimming in water. He's now been offered an upgrade (really!) but they cant deliver it. He's missed planned trips at the end of last season and the beginning of this. Nightmare. I like my AluTec Bailey - No damp - boring as f Censored k Yawn

Post #192994224th Mar 2018 11:30 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

We like you change our caravans frequently, 3/4 years and have had many makes.
My favourite was Dethleffs but they are either very expensive or not available in UK spec any more.
However I have had Lunar, this only lasted 18 months before we got rid, it was falling apart, had damp, a battery that exploded due to faulty battery charger (Lunar did cover all costs), worktops that were separating and just plain poor quality all round.
Then went to Bailey Barcelona one of the first and the new construction, initially thought the van was great, but in 5 years we had the front locker floor replaced twice and when we changed it , they needed doing again, the mattress fell apart within the first six months and we had cupboards that needed screwing back to the walls every six months or so, not good.
We now have a Swift Elegance 645 which has just had its 3rd service and absolutely love it, to the point we went to the caravan show last month and did not come away with a new van as the Swift could not be beaten in our view. Yes we have had issues, the tyres were a problem from day one, wrong ones fitted, but were swapped at Swifts expense with no issues, fridge as already said was an issue, but this was initially repaired but did not improve things, then they fitted a new one which has improved things, bathroom mirror silvering failed but again replaced with no issues and that is about it from memory. Damp what is this damp you speak of, checked every year with no issues what so ever to the point the service centre said they may down scale there body shop as they don't get damp issues any more from the new Swift vans, they do however from the Bailey vans (they do both).

Will I buy another Swift, yes but probably not till they go to the wider body vans.

I would certainly recommend them as the van and the service offered has been first rate Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #192996625th Mar 2018 7:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think that's the problem with buying new vans on a regular basis, once you've got a good one and you sell and buy another, what if that turns out to be duff? We have an Elegance 580 which is great for us and I can't see us now ever changing.
Yes, Swift have had to fix things but they were minor on the face of it, and I continually repair stuff when it goes wrong and falls apart.

Post #192996825th Mar 2018 8:38 am
Cornbeef

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

We have just been through the same dilemma buying a new van. We came to the same conclusion that it would be either the Luna Delta RI or Swift Elegance.

We took some advice and examined both vans in detail and what swung it for us in the end was inside the gas locker on the Lunar, the interior bulkhead appears to be stapled in place and the gas locker door appeared a bit flimsy. But what really decided it for us was inside. The wall panels are joined horizontally half was up the walls throughout the van with what looks like sticky tape covering the join. The ones we saw looked like it would peel off and dust would collect there. Once we saw it it really was the deal breaker for us so we ordered a Swift Elegance instead.

It's really is personal choice because we loved everything else about the Lunar.

Post #192999525th Mar 2018 10:14 am
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

We have a Bailley currently, 2 years old and no faults so far. Lunar seem to have a reputation for more problems than other brands, Coachman have a good reputation, particularly for after-sales, from what we hear.

We have near-neighbours who got a Hymer a year ago and have had nothing but problems with it (20-some at the last count I heard) most of them the direct fault of the manufacturer, rather than the dealer. They dearly wish they'd rejected it as not fit for purpose in the first few weeks, but they persevered. Mention the name Hymer to them and it's as if they were sucking lemons Rolling with laughter

The point of mentioning this is to point out that "it's German, so it must be OK" ain't necessarily the case ... Whistle

Post #193005025th Mar 2018 1:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >