Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Powercoat or plastidip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jlrjim

Powercoat or plastidip

So I have the 20" aero viper wheels in silver from the factory, and contemplating turning them into black pack versions, much like those on the new disco sport black pack cars.

If I Powercoat them gloss black, will I ever be able to return them to the factory silver finish?

Alternatively will Plastidip with the plastidip glossifier on top give a good result compared to factory black pack wheels? And will I be stripping and redoing them every year or two?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Post #143396227th Feb 2015 9:44 am
Iguana

Ukraine 

I ended up stripping off all the plastidip on my wheels, after going for a tyre replair....the damage to the plastidip when they were repairing the tyre was bad.....but I found, even normal driving etc, saw some damage - so gave up on it completely, back to std silver now
Click image to enlarge

I'd go for powdercoat, as it's harder wearing Thumbs Up (No idea if you can take off the powdercoat though)
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #143404427th Feb 2015 11:50 am
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Both have pros and cons
Powercoat is harder wearing, but is still prone to damage from tyre fitters, and unlike plastidip, it can't be touched up easily... it ideally requires sandblasting and redoing. There are touch up powder paints that can be used, but then that's probably as durable as plastidip anyway.

I plastidipped my wheels a year ago, and they're still looking good despite the 38C summers in this part of the world. I've even offroaded with them and still have no damage to the finish. If done correctly it shouldn't come off alone.

I understand that with low profile tyres it's much easier to hit a rim and damage the finish offroad or against a curb, compared to my 265/70/17 tyres, so that might be a contributing factor. In these cases, plastidip will be less resistant than powdercoating, but that's not to say powdercoating is invulnerable. And as said before, if you do chip a small piece of finish, it will likely cost much more to fix if powdercoated than if plastidipped.

Your money your choice though Thumbs Up

Oh, and plastidip is DIY and very cheap (around £17 per can I believe, and you need 3 or 4 cans for all 5 wheels), powdercoating needs to be done professionally

EDIT: and to answer your other question, with plastidip you can go back to stock with some patience and a power wash. Powder coating needs chemical stripping of sand blasting, so definitely not "reversible"
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #143409827th Feb 2015 1:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >