Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Some queries & observations following a D4 test drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
luvbus

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Some queries & observations following a D4 test drive

I have had a D4 XS on test drive whilst our D3 XS is in for some recall work. The engine/torque is a revelation over the D3 the auto box is superb and the ride on road is much more predictable and the car can be placed with greater accuracy. It will be hard going back to our manual D3. I thought the headlights were disappointing compared to the D3 (both cars halogen) and I missed the slots & cubby holes in the centre console to stash all the day to day gubbins but otherwise I was hooked!!

Some queries though for the D4 owners/experts out there as there was no manual in the car and some of the information on the sales literature/net is not very clear to me......

To have the the adaptive bi-xenons headlights do you first have to upgrade to standard bi-xenons then to the adaptive ones or is it just the charge for the adaptive ones in the price list?

If you have the rear seat entertainment can you watch/listen to something different in the front?

If you have an iPhone plugged in to to audio system can you control the phones functions direct from the wheel or does the phone have to be linked by Bluetooth as well?

Can the XS nav' be upgraded to the premium nav' by a more cost effective 'third party' or is there more to the upgrade than software?

Do D3 roof bars fit the D4?

AT tyres or active rear diff?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Post #55107513th Nov 2009 11:39 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Re: Some queries & observations following a D4 test driv

To have the the adaptive bi-xenons headlights do you first have to upgrade to standard bi-xenons then to the adaptive ones or is it just the charge for the adaptive ones in the price list?

Halogens can be upgraded to either xenons or adaptive xenons. Xenons (only available on HSEs) can be upgraded to adaptives. Watch out for the price on these.........!

If you have the rear seat entertainment can you watch/listen to something different in the front?

Yes - though you cannot watch in the front whilst in motion, without a hack

If you have an iPhone plugged in to to audio system can you control the phones functions direct from the wheel or does the phone have to be linked by Bluetooth as well?

No idea - I have a phone Whistle

Can the XS nav' be upgraded to the premium nav' by a more cost effective 'third party' or is there more to the upgrade than software?

3rd party software, no; premium nav requires certain additional modules - e.g. TMC, which won't be fitted.

Do D3 roof bars fit the D4?

Yes

AT tyres or active rear diff?

Your choice!

Post #55109914th Nov 2009 12:07 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You can always put At tyres on later, you can't put the active diff on afterwards. So get the active diff. Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #55111814th Nov 2009 12:46 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Full IPhone control from the touch screen. Not really from the steering wheel. Volume and track advance are on the wheel.

AT tyres everytime, having spent the money on an active rear diff on a D3 I honestly believe it to be a complete waste of money. I have been in off road situations with all four wheels spinning at exactly the same speed with no forward motion and the rear diff merrily showing it's loked symbol.

Not sure about the option possibilities but if you can get adaptive xenons do it.......nothing better.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #55130614th Nov 2009 10:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Winger wrote:

Halogens can be upgraded to either xenons or adaptive xenons. Xenons (only available on HSEs) can be upgraded to adaptives. Watch out for the price on these.........!

Winger,
I know from previous posts that the D3 can't be upgraded to adaptives without some very complex re-wiring etc.
I take it that the D4 design is different then?
I do hope so. Would like to have the adaptives as IMHO the 'high beam assist' is shiiite!
 Back in the game!  
Post #55136515th Nov 2009 9:19 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I must be some modern type of Philistine - but Adaptives are also largely in the "gimmick" category in my book. We had them on our last D3 HSE and I have them on the RRS, but dont miss them at all on the D4. And our typical journey takes in small twisty unlit lanes and B roads. I always smile at the little dance the adaptive lights do on start up. And occassionally smile at them doing a small sweep accross a dark corner - but do they really make me feel safer, more confident in what's ahead and allow me to drive just a bit quicker on unlit roads ? To be honest - not really.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #55136815th Nov 2009 9:48 am
luvbus

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Thanks for the replies guys.

Interesting to hear the adaptive xenon's being thought of as a 'gimmick', I thought they were one of the 'must have's'.

The price lists and brochure I have seen led me to believe the standard & adaptive xenon's could be ordered on the XS as options. The standard xenon's being factory fit on the HSE.

I saw elsewhere on the forum dealers are overcharging for the adaptive xenon's on the HSE, what prices should be paid for the different set ups on the XS and the adaptive's on the HSE?

I had also read elsewhere an 'Experience' Tutor had recommended the active rear diff as an alternative to AT tyres but I have to say on a foray down a local grassy green lane, the road tyres on the D4 tended to slip sideways into ruts where the sharper edged AT2's on my D3 would have stayed on the course I had chosen. I am surprised now that the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's are available they are not a factory option. Looks like I may be giving the Cooper LTZ's a try when we take the plunge!

Just got to weigh up the pros & cons of speccing up a XS or going for the HSE which I will still want to put some options on!!!

We are due to c/o the car in March so we also have the gamble of delivery times, VAT and car availability after the increase to weigh up......... Confused

Cheers again for the input,

Rich

Post #55138115th Nov 2009 10:49 am
highlandcow

I share Smarticus's opinion about the usefulness of adaptive lights. I had them on my Freelander 2 and didn't find them particularly advantageous, but if you really want them and you've got the money, then add them to the options list because you can't add them afterwards.

Post #55138215th Nov 2009 11:09 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

DiscoDad wrote:
I know from previous posts that the D3 can't be upgraded to adaptives without some very complex re-wiring etc.
I take it that the D4 design is different then?
I do hope so. Would like to have the adaptives as IMHO the 'high beam assist' is shiiite!

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. Those are "options" at time of order. You are right, retrofitting adapatives would (I guess) be either impossible or prohibitively expensive. The xenon units, though, should by the same process as for the D3

Post #55139115th Nov 2009 11:55 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

luvbus wrote:
I saw elsewhere on the forum dealers are overcharging for the adaptive xenon's on the HSE, what prices should be paid for the different set ups on the XS and the adaptive's on the HSE?

Halogens (XS) to xenons £591.49, halogen to adaptives £846.81. Xenons (HSE) to adaptives £255.32. All plus VAT.

Post #55139215th Nov 2009 11:58 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think of all the options and standard stuff on my car the adaptives are the most important item, contrary to what others say I think these lights allow me to press on that bit harder. I live in the country and I believe that I am that bit safer because of them.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #55148615th Nov 2009 5:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
thriftwood

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I agree - I think the adaptives are very good - anything that gives me an edge in the dark gets my vote. Also find the cornering lights good - When they flash on when entering a corner it helps me remember to do a double check for errant pedestrians, dogs etc. They're fairly new for me so this effect may wear off Wink

Post #55153015th Nov 2009 6:58 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Adaptives..... Thumbs Up (especially for the Sheep , Cow , Rabbit, Dog, Duck and Okapi )

Post #55153215th Nov 2009 7:04 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I remember attending the offical launch of the D3 (5 years ago ?) where one of the designers (A Wheel was him name - hard to forget that) explained to the enthusiastic audience that the adaptive headlights "was as big a step forward in motoring saftey as ABS brakes had been when they were introduced". Strange therefore that LR have made them an optional extra on every spec of the D4 (and a particularly expensive one at that). You dont see any manufacturer these days offering ABS as an option but always fit it as standard - as that system truly did increase road saftey (other than on ice !). Dont get me wrong - adaptives are nice to have (until they break down) but they dont change your life.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #55153315th Nov 2009 7:04 pm
highlandcow

thriftwood wrote:
...Also find the cornering lights good...

The FL2 didn't have them, so I concede that they'd be quite useful.

Post #55154015th Nov 2009 7:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >