DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Restricted performance / exhaust gas smell in cabin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jamietb

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Restricted performance / exhaust gas smell in cabin

Hi all,

I’m hoping you might be able to give me a bit of advice please. I’ve literally just purchased a 2012 D4 3.0 SDV6 - it made the 178 mile journey home without any problems then from day 2 of ownership I’ve ran into issues.

I could smell some exhaust gasses in the cabin and I got the restricted performance warning while driving with hardly any power above 2800rpm. A scan with my IID showed the following codes:-

P1247-00 (27) Turbocharger boost pressure low
P0480-13 (2F) Fan 1 control circuit - General electrical failure - circuit open
P0528-00 (2F) Fan Speed sensor circuit no signal

I then found the right hand EGR pipe as you look at the engine wasn’t properly connected to the butterfly valve thing (sorry i don’t know the proper name) at the top of the engine. I removed the EGR pipes from both sides to clean them as they were really coked up and I cleaned the butterfly valve as well which to me feels a bit sticky when closed - I don’t know if this is normal?

After fitting this all back I found the radiator fan had eaten its cable and shredded the connector. I’ve ordered some new connectors to rebuild the cable but temporarily connected it back to the loom with some wagos to test Laughing

The fan control circuit error has now gone since reconnecting the wiring but I still have the fan speed sensor error. I’m not sure if I’m looking at the right values but “Fan speed indicated” was showing 0 - if I increase the revs then it starts to show a value then back at idle it will continue to show a value for a short time then it drops to 0 again. Is this the likely cause of the fan error? I’m not sure if there are other things I should check or is it a case of just replacing the whole fan or possible the module? This morning the speed sensor error decided to change to this one:-

P0483-27 (2A) Fan performance - General signal failure - signal rate of change is above the threshold

Click image to enlarge

Along with this I did get a one off error after testing - I don’t know if this relates to the sticky butterfly valve I mentioned?

P045F-77 (27) Exhaust gas recirculation B - Control stuck closed - Mechanical failure - commanded position is not reachable

Lastly, I get an exhaust gas smell in the cable and from the engine bay on the right hand side as you look at the engine. It’s difficult to test on my own but I have seen some exhaust gases come from this area when revving and the engine almost makes a farting noise sometimes as you go over 3000rpm. I can’t really see any cracks etc visually - is there a particular area I should look or is it best to get it smoke tested?

Thanks everyone and sorry for the long post.

Jamie.

Post #233808330th May 2023 10:18 am
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Jamie, can't help with the fan issue but for the exhaust issue I would definitely suggest getting a smoke test done, could be a number of issues.
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #233809830th May 2023 12:34 pm
Jamietb

Thanks - sorry for the slow reply just trying to fit this in alongside work etc.

As an update, I’ve just done a smoke test and I can’t identify any leaks anywhere. I’ve actuated the bypass valve to the secondary turbo and still nothing.

There is what appears to me to be quite a lot of oil around the rear crankshaft seal. There’s also oil up near the secondary turbo but it looks like it’s on a bracket rather than coming from the turbo itself? I’m going to get the lower intercooler pipe off tomorrow to check for oil as there was definitely “some” in the top pipe but I have no idea how much is too much and what this really means. Would it point to the turbo seals maybe?

If anyone has any tips on where else I should be looking / checking that would be really great.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #23388167th Jun 2023 6:17 pm
goldypurple

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Check the Crossover pipe and the EGR pipe that connect near the crossover, this can cause gases in the cabin. Also produces restricted performance error.

Post #23388678th Jun 2023 10:46 am
Jamietb

Sorry for the slow progress with this but just wanted to give an update. It was indeed the crossover pipe and the oil leak is from the oil filter housing so both being replaced.

Thanks all Thumbs Up

Post #23413716th Jul 2023 7:05 am
onetwentie

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Jamie

I also have the restricted performance and similar codes (last time I checked).

This crossover pipe that you and goldypurple mentioned.. where is it? are you able to post a picture? did replacing the pipes get it out of limp mode?

thanks

Post #23581048th Jan 2024 12:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >