Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Reversing aid not working as advertised...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
iPaul

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Winger wrote:
Well, your point is well made, but the problem is not with your camera system, but the owner's manual.

The manual you have has been updated. Check the part number on yours, I suspect you will find that it is not LRL 10 02 53 102.

I will provide the updated pages for you - and you will see that the language has been changed.

So - by all means take issue, but not until you have read page 2.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...ystems.pdf

Well, It looks like I'm on a hiding to nothing in that case.

Why on earth would they produce such a half-arsed cut down version of the parking aid for non surround camera cars? Having the static lines is IMHO more annoying that having no lines at all. It hints at the functionality which could have been yours if you'd ordered the surround cameras (which I did try to do, but could not wait 3 months to have a car built to that spec, rather than take the HSE arriving the following week at the dealer).

Excuse me while I just sulk by myself in the corner for a while Big Cry

Cheers,

iPaul

Post #5600903rd Dec 2009 9:25 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Paul,

Surely it depends on what you were told/sold at point of sale, irrespective of spec change mid order - you should have been told maybe Question
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #5600943rd Dec 2009 9:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Budweiser

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Picking up my HSE D4 next week. My dealer told me there is 0 supply of the surround camera option at this time - LR have run out of cameras???? It's a nice toy to have and will impress friends but as stated earlier I am not convinced it has any real value for me (don't go off road in a serious way). Sad for you as you're not getting what you thought you were. Best wishes.

Post #5602193rd Dec 2009 11:20 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

We have a camera on the Qashqai and it has solid white lines which don't move in relation to the steering wheel. To be honest I prefer reversing sensors in some ways as I keep forgetting to look at the screen and just wait for the beeps like the the D3. Ideally it should have both.

Post #5603174th Dec 2009 9:32 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine does have both.........
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #5604204th Dec 2009 12:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mikeyp

United Kingdom 

iPaul,

Not sure why you would want lines that move as you turn the steering wheel. Seems like an unnecessary distraction to me. I mean, you turn the wheels, the vehicle turns, and you can see which way the Censored end is going from looking at the camera.

I have a 7.2m long motorhome with a plain old camera and colour screen, and no rear window and no parking sensors. No fancy lines or other aids. Its simple and it works. In fact so well, I feel I need to fit a camera on the Disco3 that I recently acquired.

I do sympatise with you for not getting what you were expecting, but am sure you'll get used to it either way.

Post #5762737th Jan 2010 8:54 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

iPaul wrote:

Why on earth would they produce such a half-arsed cut down version of the parking aid for non surround camera cars? Having the static lines is IMHO more annoying that having no lines at all. It hints at the functionality which could have been yours if you'd ordered the surround cameras

Well you can imagine my incandescent fury when I purchased a packet of Walkers Crisps recently - not only were none of them a match for the shape and size of the crisp on the front of the packet, but Walkers didn't expressly tell me that the cheese and onion crisps I had bought weren't bacon flavour. Evil or Very Mad

I think I may jutht scweam and scweam and scweam until I make mythelf thick. Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #5763317th Jan 2010 9:57 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

NoDo$h wrote:
none of them a match for the shape and size of the crisp on the front of the packet

should have brought pringles Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

getting back to camera/reversing wasnt this brought up last month and the fact is it's an aid and should not be relied on, as the warnings say in the manual Exclamation

but they should have informed you if they knew it was one of the selling points of why you went for the D4, I suppose the real Censored is their attitude at first of "some do, some don't"

if you can live without it ask for somethign in return like first servicing free etc Thumbs Up
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #5769278th Jan 2010 5:09 pm
CountryTanker

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
Wavy yellow lines...

Stepping away from the legal issue for a second....... Whistle

Whilst considering this the other day ahead of my D4 order this week, is there anyone out there with Adaptive Bi-Xenons but without Surround Camera System? Surely the steering sensor must be enabled in these vehicles to make the Adaptive head lights work and therefore the reversing guidelines should vary as they are supposed to regardless of whether there are surround cameras fitted or not? Question

Just re-read this and not sure if it makes sense, anyone get my logic.....

Can anyone verify?
 1996 D1 (Legendary workhorse) - now KIA
2010 D4 HSE 

Post #57880411th Jan 2010 9:46 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Popelka wrote:
but they should have informed you

No, they shouldn't. The list of things a car doesn't have is huge. "Sir, amongst the many things this car isn't equiped with is a nuclear reactor, time travel, a wheelie bin, three bananas (aftermarket bananas will not invalidate your warranty) and a small hen called Keith. She's a bit confused is Keith."

If you buy a car which has the potential for optional extras and you have a specific one in mind, you damn well better check you have ordered the right options. If it's a stock car you have to check the specsheet. To say after the event "but I thought" isn't really the dealer's fault.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #57881311th Jan 2010 10:12 am
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Is the small hen called Keith available on Defenders Al, or do we have to stick to Roger the Bunny Wabbit.
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #57882311th Jan 2010 10:26 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Sammy the Squeaky Squirrel in our 90 Confused
Post #57882811th Jan 2010 10:38 am
Dan W

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

NoDo$h wrote:
Popelka wrote:
but they should have informed you

No, they shouldn't. The list of things a car doesn't have is huge. "Sir, amongst the many things this car isn't equiped with is a nuclear reactor, time travel, a wheelie bin, three bananas (aftermarket bananas will not invalidate your warranty) and a small hen called Keith. She's a bit confused is Keith."

If you buy a car which has the potential for optional extras and you have a specific one in mind, you damn well better check you have ordered the right options. If it's a stock car you have to check the specsheet. To say after the event "but I thought" isn't really the dealer's fault.

...but if you test drove a car, then ordered one, you would be entitled to think you were buying what you just drove. The dealer should be pointing out the features you just saw, that you would have to specially order. Not sure about your rules over there, but here in the colonies not saying something is legally as bad as telling a mistruth, and can be determined as misleading by omission.

Given iPaul's experience in trying to get it "fixed" tells me that the dealer has no idea what he's selling, and therefore the responsibility is with Landrover as they are responsible for ensuring their agents/dealers are trained appropriately.

I'd hit them up about it if i genuinely thought I was getting it
 2012 MY13 SDV6 SE D4 Ipanema Sand with Almond leather
2012 TDI Passat - they reckon the DSG is crap, I reckon it's awesome
2010 MY11 Mitsubishi Challenger - Gone (it was a "Challenging Year")
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #59190528th Jan 2010 10:57 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Land Rover are clearly not responsible.....if a dealer lets people who know nothing about the product sell it, then the dealer is responsible. If you don't know about a feature as a salesperson you should ask.

From my experience of dealers...not just LR....sales people seem to know very little about the spec and technical aspects of vehicles they sell. I have posted regarding a dealers knowledge of the spec of the D4 recently, which was to be honest poor.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #59205228th Jan 2010 1:45 pm
Dan W

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

mwestcrew wrote:
Land Rover are clearly not responsible.....if a dealer lets people who know nothing about the product sell it, then the dealer is responsible. If you don't know about a feature as a salesperson you should ask.

From my experience of dealers...not just LR....sales people seem to know very little about the spec and technical aspects of vehicles they sell. I have posted regarding a dealers knowledge of the spec of the D4 recently, which was to be honest poor.

I agree about the knowledge of sales people, and if I have questions about a car in a dealership I ask to look at the owners manual. Given the owners manual has changed a couple of times it would appear Landrover also are a bit puzzled about what they are selling to the punters. iPaul may not have asked about the static lines on the parking assist when he bought the car, but he's asked about them now, and Landrover (including it's representatives - the dealer) still can't answer him.

So if Landrover are unsure, the dealer won't know any better and the salesperson has no hope. The documentation that iPaul got with his car, supplied by Landrover (ie the manual), lead him to believe it should work. That is not the sales person's or the dealer's error.

I'm not suggesting Landrover should be upgrading iPaul's car, or even trying to make him happy - of course they'll fob it off, but my point is that even if iPaul wanted to check no one could have helped him, and that is Landrover's shortcoming.
 2012 MY13 SDV6 SE D4 Ipanema Sand with Almond leather
2012 TDI Passat - they reckon the DSG is crap, I reckon it's awesome
2010 MY11 Mitsubishi Challenger - Gone (it was a "Challenging Year")
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #59317429th Jan 2010 11:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >