Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Reversing aid not working as advertised...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
iPaul

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Reversing aid not working as advertised...

I took my D4 in to the dealer today, to have the tow bar & electrics fitted and fix a couple of minor issues. The problems were that the analogue clock did not talk to the LCD screen, so changing the time in settings on the LCD did not adjust the clock. That was fixed OK. The other issue was with the reversing aid on the LCD screen.

When I select reverse, the LCD screen switches to the rear view camera and it draws the yellow lines on the screen to show you where the wheels and perimeter of the car are aimed. It is supposed to detect the turning angle of the steering wheel and curve the yellow lines to show where the wheels will go. On my car, the lines stay straight as a straight thing regardless of the number of turns I apply to the steering wheel. The dealer was not able to fix that. Their initial comment to me was "some cars do it and others don't"! Evil or Very Mad To add insult to injury, in the Disco 4 XS they loaned me today, the reversing aid worked perfectly. As I turned purple in the face, that stance was modified to "We're talking to LR UK about that, so hopefully they can advise us how to enable the feature"

Having just dropped £50k on a new car, the possibility that one of the "features" may not ever work in my car, is something I really didn't want to hear. Combined with my disappointment at the quiet deletion of the rear seat headphone jacks from the HSE spec, i'm feeling just a little miffed at the moment. My question to the assembled masses of disco3.co.uk/disco4.com is have any other D4 owners had this issue with the reversing aid, and how did it pan out for you?

The car is 2 weeks old and the sort of foul mood I'm in now, I'm ready to reject it unless they can get this sorted. It's going to leap out of the screen every damned time I reverse the car and taunt me about foolishly spending so much money... That would be a real shame, because otherwise, I love the car to bits.

Harrumph!

iPaul (taking deep breaths)

Post #5599933rd Dec 2009 7:43 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Shame to hear you have not had a constructive answer yet Paul, I feel for you.

Have you tried a different dealer at all?.

Did you know about the rear controls when you looked at it / test drive / sold it. Did you compare it to another car on the forecourt / showroom?. If so I'd be peev'd.

Good luck buddy Thumbs Up
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Last edited by NeilD on 3rd Dec 2009 8:41 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5599983rd Dec 2009 7:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

iPaul, would your own car have the surround camera system installed, or just the reversing camera?

Post #5600143rd Dec 2009 8:29 pm
NeilD

Winger, just the reversing one from memory (saw the car at the SE Meeting last month Thumbs Up )

Post #5600153rd Dec 2009 8:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

"It is supposed to detect the turning angle of the steering wheel and curve the yellow lines to show where the wheels will go."
It is! Shocked
Mine just shows permanantly straight lines too. I thought that's all it did.
Will be getting this checked out. Wonder if there's anything else I am missing out on!

Post #5600173rd Dec 2009 8:34 pm
NJF

Paul, I had the same issue on a MY10 RRS I test drove last weekend. The reversing aid did not bend with the steering angle. I understand your disappointment and I would ask them to make it work if it was my car but I personally wouldn't be fussed about it. I prefer to reverse the old fashioned way. Wink

Post #5600193rd Dec 2009 8:35 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

NeilD wrote:
Winger, just the reversing one from memory (saw the car at the SE Meeting last month Thumbs Up )

Voila!

Post #5600213rd Dec 2009 8:36 pm
NeilD

Youtube Video:

Post #5600233rd Dec 2009 8:37 pm
iPaul

Hi Neil,

I'll give them a couple of days to see what happens before approaching another dealer. In all honesty, I can't see any dealer who didn't supply the car being remotely interested in fixing the problem, or having a car on the forecourt I could swap (i.e. reject mine and buy theirs) for...

The rear seat headphone jacks were one of the features I was quite looking forward to, having seen them on Disco 3s and the D4 I test drove at another dealer, and were a differentiating factor between the Disco and the other cars I looked at buying. My kids and I don't really share the same taste in music, so having them listen to something else while I have Radio 2 on, would lead to greater harmony in our family unit. At the time I did my research back in September, I'm sure they were mentioned in the online LR spec sheets, but I didn't explicitly confirm it at the time of purchase to the dealer, because you generally don't need to check that the standard kit list is still valid... I swallowed hard when I picked up the car and they were not fitted, and tried to be all grown up about it. The reversing aid problem, just picks at and reopens that old wound now...

I'll keep you posted, but as I said, I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had the reversing camera issue, and whether that was resolved to your satisfaction or not.

Cheers,

iPaul

Post #5600253rd Dec 2009 8:37 pm
iPaul

Winger wrote:
iPaul, would your own car have the surround camera system installed, or just the reversing camera?

Hi Winger,

My HSE does not have the surround cameras. The loaner I had today did have them. Are you suggesting that surround cameras are required to make this work? Why on earth would they display the lines if they don't really show where you are going? I could see folks suing over that... "I hit the other car but the reversing aid showed I would miss it..."

Cheers,

iPaul

Post #5600273rd Dec 2009 8:42 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

You are expecting a feature on your vehicle to work that simply isn't fitted. It is working perfectly on yours.....

(NeilD - read the title of the YouTube clip.....not helpful!)

Post #5600313rd Dec 2009 8:44 pm
NeilD

Agree, but shows it working Thumbs Up

(not my clip so cant change the title Mr. Green

Post #5600383rd Dec 2009 8:46 pm
iPaul

Just re-read the owners handbook, to check I'm not going mad. On page 147 in the section on "Rear View Camera System" it clearly states:
Quote:
Overlaid on the rearview image are dashed lines representing the perimiter of the vehicle and solid lines representing the predicted path of the vehicle (based on the position of the steering wheel).

There is extra functionality mentioned on page 150 in the section on the Surround Camera system, where it says that:
Quote:
Overlaid on the rearview image are dashed lines representing the perimiter of the vehicle and solid lines representing the predicted path of the vehicle (based on the position of the steering wheel) and the distance information from the Parking Aid system.

So, granted, you get extra info if the Surround Camera system is installed, but regardless of whether surround is installed or not, the lines should display the predicted path of the vehicle based on the position of the steering wheel.

I rest my case, m'lud.

iPaul

Post #5600523rd Dec 2009 8:55 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Well, your point is well made, but the problem is not with your camera system, but the owner's manual.

The manual you have has been updated. Check the part number on yours, I suspect you will find that it is not LRL 10 02 53 102.

I will provide the updated pages for you - and you will see that the language has been changed.

So - by all means take issue, but not until you have read page 2.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...ystems.pdf

Last edited by Winger on 3rd Dec 2009 9:14 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5600673rd Dec 2009 9:08 pm
Ecosse

iPaul wrote:
Hi Neil,
At the time I did my research back in September, I'm sure they were mentioned in the online LR spec sheets, but I didn't explicitly confirm it at the time of purchase to the dealer, because you generally don't need to check that the standard kit list is still valid... I swallowed hard when I picked up the car and they were not fitted, and tried to be all grown up about it. The reversing aid problem, just picks at and reopens that old wound now...

iPaul

Hi iPaul - welcome to the world of LandRover Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Went through similar issues in the early days of the Disco3 - bought mine based on advertised bluetooth, cabin heater etc, but by the time it arrived spec had "varied" Big Cry

Post #5600733rd Dec 2009 9:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >