DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

SatNav weaknesses
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well I never knew that!

Thanks NJF Thumbs Up
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #45306912th Apr 2009 7:12 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Me neither, will give it a go tomorrow. Thumbs Up

Post #45307312th Apr 2009 7:20 pm
NJF

I found it by accident ... Smile

Post #45307812th Apr 2009 7:30 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Find anything else??? Question

Post #45308012th Apr 2009 7:32 pm
NJF

DSL wrote:
Find anything else???

The last time we used the satnav to go somewhere unknown was to visit Ian62 in deepest, darkest Germany. We typed in the post code and couldn't find a bloody thing after more than 6 hours of driving. Lesson learned: post codes in Germany cover a very large area and can leave you wandering (or wondering) in a German wood at close to midnight. It's worse than giving a map to a Rupert. Whistle

Post #45308112th Apr 2009 7:42 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

NJF wrote:
post codes in Germany cover a very large area

Censored now the secret is out...why do you think we approached camp4fun the other week from totally the opposite direction than we were supposed too... Whistle Laughing

Post code works great in the UK; less so in many other countries.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #45308512th Apr 2009 8:10 pm
Barry C-All

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I have also purchased the latest disc in the hope that the thing might improve, alas, not the case.Overall, it is not that bad if you have an idea of where you are going anyway, but if compared to the sat nav in my previous cars, BMW X5 's,the LR system is very lacking in knowledge and readability. Confused

Post #45309712th Apr 2009 8:38 pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I went from x5 to D3 and you really notice the nav problems. As you say, its fine if you know where you are going in the first place Rolling with laughter
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #45310212th Apr 2009 8:42 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

The LR satnav always brings me where I want to go. Maybe it takes strange routes but most off the time I don't know as I won't be familiar there.
Maybe Tomtom does a better job, as it is Dutch it probably would. Laughing The LR system works too. It will bring you to the place you put in. Whistle
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #45320812th Apr 2009 11:02 pm
Gaza

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I find the sat nav to be very poor compared to my X3s. I've posted here before that it refuses to use the A34 on any trips I make from home in Poole to anywhere north of Oxford. It insists on me going via the M25!

I also find the ETA to be very optimistic. E.g. 20 miles to destination of which 5 are in 30 mph limts and the sat nav says I'll be there in 12 minutes. Confused Confused

Post #45422614th Apr 2009 8:50 pm
999XCM

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Here are my grievances:

1) The system is horribly inaccurate. Sitting in my driveway and programming "home" gives the wrong address - many houses off.

2) The LR3 doesn't switch to a dark background (light colour roads) display at night. (During the day: black roads on light background). My Garmin, and MB and BMWs do this no problem.

3) The LR3 display doesn't automatically dim. The Garmin will dim to nearly black if it doesn't see much light through the windscreen. But if you enter a town from a dark country road, the display brightens up automatically.

4) The database of POIs is horribly limited. The Garmin has essentially a "Yellow Pages" (business telephone) directory built in. The LR3 doesn't have businesses, etc.

5) When searching for a POI, the LR3 requires that you input the name -- for example, searching for a fast food restaurant doesn't return all the restaurants (I use the term restaurant rather loosely here), but instead requires you to enter the name you're looking for.

6) The LR3 doesn't allow you to search along your route or at your destination. The Garmin can find a hotel "near here", "near desitination", "along route", etc. -- very handy if you're looking for a hotel an hour or so up the road.

7) The LR3 requires you to stop the vehicle to perform such as search (perhaps this is a USA feature only).

8) The LR3 requires the user to put in addresses backwards: first the town, then the street, then the number. The Garmin allows the number then street, and will search on this information, giving that address in every town, beginning with the closest. You can then limit your search to a particular town if need be.

9) When I start the vehicle, the screen always comes back on -- even if it was off the last time I stopped the car.

There are more, but as far as I'm concerned, #1 and #2 are so bad I want this system out of my LR3.

Post #45428814th Apr 2009 9:38 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Andrew,

Concur with all your valid points!. Just come back from Devon and Dartmoor and it tried to take me some very strange routes!

I have made a topic before on the inaccuracy of the destination time, miles are spot on though, as it should be. I think the sat nav works out the time of arrival on your current speed.... but then it confuses me again and does the opposit!!!.

It tried to take me down a public footpath 2 foot wide at one point. Also I was 1/2 mile from our Barn, when it wanted to take me nearly to Newton Abbot and back into the village the other end!.

BMW/TomTom are far superior IMHO but I also have checked a map first, or the net. Also I have pretty good memory so generally dont do to bad.
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #45430814th Apr 2009 9:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Each to their own I suppose, I think the D3 sat nav is good. It never seems to get me lost, and always finds the desination. It may have some peculiar ideas on how to get there, but common sense usually prevails. I also have a Tom Tom, its good but also not perfect.

Anyway, how the hell can a satnav accurately predict time of arrival when it does not know how fast you are going to be going, how many tractors you will meet, how many coffees you will stop Confused I usually don't pay much attention to it until nearing the end of the journey, when accuracy improves.

I did try the sat nav in my pals Q7 the other day, and it was no where near as user friendly as the D3.

Post #45431714th Apr 2009 9:56 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Gareth wrote:
Anyway, how the hell can a satnav accurately predict time of arrival when it does not know how fast you are going to be going

All other Sat Nav's when they calculate the route, its works out the speed limits for the route and then the miles. So you should have a pretty good ETA..... I also used to arrive early with Tomtom Mr. Green
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #45432514th Apr 2009 10:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

NeilD wrote:
Just come back from Devon and Dartmoor and it tried to take me some very strange routes!

It tried to take me down a public footpath 2 foot wide at one point. Also I was 1/2 mile from our Barn, when it wanted to take me nearly to Newton Abbot and back into the village the other end!.

Yep, The Tamar Valley seems to really confuse it! Laughing

Gareth wrote:
Anyway, how the hell can a satnav accurately predict time of arrival when it does not know how fast you are going to be going

No idea, but TomTom (and others) seem to have cracked it. Thumbs Up

I also agree with the "night colours" comment.

The problem is probably that LR specced the SatNav in 2003-ish, and although they update bits & pieces on the DVD updates, they simply haven't caught it up to market standard. I wonder what they've done for the D4?
 Andrew  
Post #45434614th Apr 2009 10:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >