Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

SatNav weaknesses
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

After reading this post, I set off from hatfield today (office) although I know the route well and a couple of cheeky short-cuts Whistle

So Home ETA when sitting in office car park. 6.24pm set-off and take my first short-cut. Sat nav maybe took 30 seconds to update my route and ETA + five mins as it sees my back-road as a slower road.

Hit the M1 and within seconds route ETA is 6.19 pm.

Bit of traffic, bit of "good progress" and it's still on 6.19. Avoid M6 as Sally traffic, TMC and M1 info boards say there is an accident. Pull onto Drive via accept new route option at 6.24 pm.

So - 95 Mile trip and it's right on the money. Mustn't grumble
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #4782968th Jun 2009 10:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I find it OK, I always review the routes before selecting the one I like best (usually the one I would pick form teh map). Sometimes it seems to struggle to find a third route!!!!

Then it is OK. I use the screen as a map when on route so you can spot if it is doing something silly like just cutting a corner. I don't really use it properly though until I am near my destination and so far have got there fine everytime Thumbs Up

Time estimating thing seems to work alright on long runs, bit of waste of time if you re only going a few miles.

I am hoping that a new disk will solve its aversion to the bit of A34 near Newbury!!!
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #4783589th Jun 2009 7:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mikeknowle

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

stapldm wrote:
I get the best routes offered when I have the major roads option set and the minor roads option unset.

Thanks for the tips such as this one and the TMC toggle on/off - I'm going to have a play with the settings and see how it goes. Most helpful...

Cheers
 D3 HSE...120k and climbing.
----------------------------------------------------
My other car is a K1600GT, look it up if you have to... 

Post #4786849th Jun 2009 4:49 pm
Gaza

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

90BHP wrote:
Gaza wrote:
I've posted here before that it refuses to use the A34 on any trips I make from home in Poole to anywhere north of Oxford. It insists on me going via the M25!

Make your selection from the 3 routes option. Mine will use the A34 to get to Southampton from Warwickshire via M40 or M25 depends if I choose, Short, Normal or Quick Thumbs Up

It gives me three options: via M25 or a bizarre route over to the M5 and then cross country (A419???) towards Swindon and then down the A338. I can't recall the third but is is a variation of the others. The easiect way is to set a waypoint on the A34 and then it is happy.

Post #4787539th Jun 2009 5:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >