Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Stinus is looking for buying advice MY14-15-16?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stinus

Belgium 
Stinus is looking for buying advice MY14-15-16?

Hello Forumisti,

I'll shortly introduce myself before consulting your advice.
I am Stijn from Belgium, a long time reader on this forum, but never actively posting as I never owned a disco3/4...yet.
I am a 38y old father of a 3 year old girl and 5 year old boy, looking to welcome our 5th landy family cruiser in the course of 2023.

Beginning of the millenium I drove a 110 300tdi for 6 years in which i really had a blast of a time. It was pre-kids, pre-marriage period, i didn't have a lot to worry about, but it was really fun. That car had been all over Europe on some epic camping trips.

Click image to enlarge

Then swmbo came in the picture and the green container had to be exchanged for something a little bit more sensible and we had a disco2 td5 for 3 years. Coming from the defender, the experience was range rover-like to us Laughing More comfortable, practical, civilized and pretty reliable as it was with us. I cannot say we really had issues in those 3 years, I rember one rear airbag was replaced, but that was it.
Again, some nice memories and vacations with that one.

Click image to enlarge

The city of Antwerp imposed a low emission zone and our disco2 was not allowed anymore. Kids were on the way and it was turned in for a brand new MY18 discovery sport HSE, the first car I ever bought brand new at the Land Rover dealership. Strangely I don't have much pictures of this car, I wander why Mr. Green I must admit; the car has been flawless in those 5 years, although elected numerous times on the bottom of reliability lists and customer satisfaction lists. To us it was perfect.

We moved outside of the city before corona struck the world and the first thing I bought was a 2003 defender 110 to add to the family fleet. I had it for 2 years, trying to relive my younger years, bring back those times, but it never really came to a succes. It was a commercial type with only 3 seats in the front, so the 4 of us actually never went together with it and apart from eating a lot of money it didn't bring as much joy as I naively expected from it.

Click image to enlarge

Out the defender and in for something else in which the whole of us could fit and enjoy. So 1.5 year back I bought a '92 Saab 900 turbo convertible, wich has been a real cool and nice ride. I call it the rocket. Especially on a nice summer evening, there are not much cars which I would trade in for that one.
Click image to enlarge

In 2023 the disco sport will be written-off and preferably exchanged by a new car. As it's mainly used by my wife for a 7km return trip to her job, it's utterly stupid to have a bigger diesel. Our idea is to go small and electric which would suit these small trips much better.
But then we need another practical long haul capable vehicle to make our trips and family vacantions etc with.

And there I saw my opening to look once more to the green oval. Mr. Green
I want to turn in the disco sport and infortunately also the saab to get a Disco4 in return and keep it until it falls apart. I agree with what another forum member described as Land Rovers pinnacle regarding, design, practicality, capability, all together combined.

So I am looking for your good advice in here. I am planning to go for the youngest I can afford and am currently looking at MY14/15/16. SDV6 HSE spec or higher has my preference.
Are there better or worse years between them? I think the specs are quite the same.
Only post MY15 has adblue added so euro6, apart from acces to LEZ area's I don't see any good or downsides on it in performance or realiability.

The stickys on here are almost all relating to MY16, howcome is that? Rolling Eyes

I almost went through the complete video list of Christian and Vera's LR Time; I took already some good tips from them. I am also planning on buying the gapII diagnostic tool to take with me on test drives. But shouldn't you every time register the vehicles chassis number in order to have the tool working?

Thanks already for the help in this and hopefully you'll see me more often around here. This is definetly one of the true good remaining automotive message boards on the net. That there is such a lively community is a great result of Solihulls built quality. Laughing
 insert coffee first 

Last edited by stinus on 21st Dec 2022 1:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #231962521st Dec 2022 11:08 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Welcome stinus! Great write up. You're already familiar with LR products, that'll stand you in good stead for life with a D4!
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #231962821st Dec 2022 11:12 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Nice intro, and welcome !

As late a model D4 as you can afford (with a good warranty) Thumbs Up the models from late 2015 had ad blu so will be Euro 6 compliant and slightly later (someone will know the exact date) had a gearbox remap that apparently gives a much experience... gone is the lag pulling away from roundabouts !

Looking forward to more great photos once you have secured the car Thumbs Up
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #231962921st Dec 2022 11:26 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

June 2015 was when Adblue came in. But obviously check if you are buying a model registered close the that date.
The downside seems to be they are a little more prone to oil dilution issues, depending on whether you do a lot of short journeys. Having said that I've had it once in 7 1/2 years. Easily resolved with an interim oil change.
Another useful change that came in from then was full size spare as standard.
Good hunting
Cheers
Gary
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #231964021st Dec 2022 1:00 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome Stijn and what a great introductory post Thumbs Up

As I understand a Gap IID tool will read all the codes on any vehicle but until it is registered to a specific vehicle you will not be able to perform any amendments or delete any of those codes.

Happy hunting Smile
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #231965821st Dec 2022 4:28 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Dare I say 'search function'?

So much on here re that advice...

Happy to add mine again but there are better and many threads on this...

Good luck with your search, you'll be well informed from here..

Thumbs Up
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #231968921st Dec 2022 9:23 pm
stinus

Belgium 

thanks for the welcome.
I'll spit a bit more through the search function.

Those latest years are all similar in on board entertainment system?
 insert coffee first  
Post #231977822nd Dec 2022 2:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >