Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

TdV6 Cracked sump issue?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wslr

TdV6 Cracked sump issue?

Just wanted to ask around as local Franchised Dealer and TOPIx has no reported issues, but I had a vehicle in the other day which had a crack or what looked to be a crack along the bottom of the sump from the oil drain plug.

To be honest, to me it just looked like the usual poor manufacturing you come to expect these days, but I thought I'd ask around to check from the owner's experience. It is a late 07MY.

Post #69505920th Sep 2010 9:00 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Nope. Defender sumps are a different matter. You'd have to properly drop a D3 to sump it. Or perhaps drive along a grass verge and hit a mile marker hidden in the nettles Whistle
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #69506420th Sep 2010 9:06 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: TdV6 Cracked sump issue?

wslr wrote:

To be honest, to me it just looked like the usual poor manufacturing you come to expect these days,

Really Rolling Eyes ...book in a tour of Ford's Dagenham Diesel Centre and I think you might just agree to take that back. Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #69509220th Sep 2010 9:56 pm
wslr

I'm sure Ford Dagenham Diesel Centre is a model of perfection. Having to deal with Land Rover imperfections pretty much every day I've become quite negative. I'll refrain from saying how I feel in the future.

NoDo$h - Yep, I read the Puma sumps are iffy. I can't see this particular sump being an issue - It is a few years old now. As it originates from close to the drain plug it could possibly be a tech induced stress fracture. It certainly hasn't taken any trips off road to find a hidden mile marker Laughing I just promised the owner I would ask around and let him know and quote on a replacement. Thanks for the comment.

Post #69512320th Sep 2010 10:51 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

No worries. Easily done when in any 4x4 though. The amount of times the "lesser mortals" in their suicide boxes assume that I am actually in a hovercraft and can therefore drive over culverts, rocks and dead dear hidden in the grass on the verge..... Evil or Very Mad Mrs Do$h just brings her 90 to a screeching halt in the middle of the road and looks on, trying not to laugh, as the twonks get a taste of their own medicine. I'm not that brave Laughing
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #69512420th Sep 2010 10:57 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

wslr wrote:
....possibly be a tech induced stress fracture. .

Those techs with their spanners eh Laughing Not attempting to deprive you of your opinion ...just thought it was a bit of a sweeping statement Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #69513120th Sep 2010 11:12 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

wslr wrote:

NoDo$h - Yep, I read the Puma sumps are iffy.

The Puma sumps themselves are fine, its the quality engineering and testing that goes into putting a new engine into a car, and not noticing the propshaft was fouling the sump Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #69516521st Sep 2010 6:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >