Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

First week - didn't make it!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Manorfarmer

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Keswick GreenDiscovery 3
First week - didn't make it!

Seems that I am not the only one with 'teething troubles' - took deliver of my 14MY HSE with all the bells and whistles last Monday (a few hours late because they 'lost' the car somewhere between Solihull and Bristol!).

Next morning had to take wife to train at silly o'clock so programmed FBH. When we got into car we found it nice and warm - so far, so good. Pressed start button, car fired then died. Wondered what I was doing wrong. Tried again. Fired, ran a few seconds, died. Mental check again - nothing wrong - it wouldn't turn/fire if it thought something was wrong so tried again and again and again - eventually got it to run and took wife to station. Restarted after dropping her off no probs - put it down to air in the system or similar for a car that has only done 23 miles. Drove 120 miles to Taunton and back - no probs.

Next day same again, eventually started, drove up our lane with a couple of farts and splutters but no actual stop however disinclined to drive into Bristol. Called Guy Salmon (supplier) and they suggested calling LR Assist.

Can't speak highly enough of that organisation. Tech was on-site within an hour and fifteen, found 3 minor faults on the diag. log, one was 'too long cranking' but others not related to starting. Fault, of course, wasn't present when he tried to start car but agreed that a car with 154 miles on the clock shouldn't being doing what I was telling him it was even if it wasn't doing it now. He followed me as I drove to Guy Salmon and they, with LRs help, are trying to sort the problem which has, thankfully, shown up when the Guy Salmon tech had a play.

Presently looking at crank sensor and wiring loom. Now six days without lovely new car and getting more Censored off by the day. Evoque, via Enterprise Rentals, is NOT as nice as my Disco - you have to use the zapper to unlock the doors Rolling Eyes and I keep banging my head when I get in and out! And enterprise don't let you tow - fortunately have still got old Disco 3 for that.

If anyone has similar experience or any bright ideas I would be happy to pass them on to Guy Salmon tech.
 Manorfarmer
200 Series
300 Series
TD5 x 2
D3 HSE + TV
D4 HSE 

Post #125168312th Mar 2014 11:24 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

No idea about fault, but I would be pressing very hard for the loan of an equivalent car. When my car had some bits missing on delivery, the DP agreed to loan me his new FFRR until it was fixed, and I got two bottles of finest wine given to me as a means of apology.

Don't ask, don't get etc....

Post #125169212th Mar 2014 11:47 am
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sorry about your problems Manorfarmer. It's highly disappointing to have even minor issues when we get our new toys. I guess the easiest way to fix it is through the diagnostics tools, so keep fingers crossed, I hope they will soon come back with a solution and then you may enjoy a really great car. Smile

Post #125170712th Mar 2014 12:19 pm
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Theres a few stories on collection and breakdown of the new D4 in the last week or so ....

Shame but hopefully worth it all in the end Thumbs Up

Post #125170912th Mar 2014 12:23 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

That dodgy looking salesman says it all Whistle

Post #125171312th Mar 2014 12:29 pm
Tiger

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Right getting really worried now. We've sold our totally ace Disco3 and new MY14 car is on order.

But...

Stop / Start is pants
New model teething issues

The reason why we went for a Disco is that after 10 years we thought it would be sorted, saying that we also have a Defender and that still leaks after 60 years of product development.

Post #125171512th Mar 2014 12:32 pm
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Calm down guys!

The new Discovery is a great machine! It's got plenty of toys and not that many problems if you read through the threads. Minor issues appear on all cars, more so on such a complicated vehicle as the Disco. I also have a climate recirculation issue and a bit squeaky dash but such things happen. As long as they can be fixed it's ok!

@ Tiger: Although I started the Start/Stop thread, allow me to say once more here, that I find it a very good and with instantaneous response system. There is space for improvement but I wouldn't say it's pants. Many people dislike S/S, but I believe they would also do so on any other car they had.

All in all, the new Discovery is a great vehicle, its technology has really evolved all those years, I do believe it's the best you can get before the new D5 comes out (maybe even after it comes out, if you get my spirit) and at an comparatively attractive price if you consider what you get. And last and most important it's an amazing vehicle to drive around on and off road, always giving you the Mr. Green in the end!

Post #125173312th Mar 2014 12:58 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

I agree with Promethius. There are always reactions to new tech. I think we need to give it a bit of time to settle into it. There are teething problems with most dealers. I've just had a phone call to tell me that whilst the valeters were preparing my wife's D4 for collection in about an hour, one of them have managed to scratch the bumper badly enough that it needs repairing and painting! Censored happens, it's no big deal and they will sort it. I appreciate that some people have had battery problems etc but I think that has been tracked down to the same source, valeters leaving the doors open, stereo on etc. so hardly JLRs fault really. I understand the frustration some are feeling but in the grand scheme of things, these issues will get sorted, the new tech will either get used to or some genius on here will find a way to bypass it. Everyones' a winner!

Peace and love Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Best,

Steve Thumbs Up
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Last edited by steveraspberry on 13th Mar 2014 12:45 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #125178912th Mar 2014 3:07 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Discotres wrote:
That dodgy looking salesman says it all Whistle

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

As Gareth says they should at least provide you with an equivalent motor Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #125188712th Mar 2014 6:55 pm
Manorfarmer

Thanks for all the words of support - if this goes on much longer I may 'push' for a Disco to replace the Evoque but have 'old' D3 for towing at the moment (was hoping to sell that to ease the cash flow of buying the new one!)

Surprisingly a couple of hours after my original post I had a phone call from Pete at LR Customer Services who had seen the post, called Guy Salmon, discussed my fault with them and then they had given him my phone number - very pro-active! No progress on the fault Sad yet but at least I am certain that Solihull know about it - watch this space.

Russell - thanks for the PM
 Manorfarmer
200 Series
300 Series
TD5 x 2
D3 HSE + TV
D4 HSE 

Post #125212613th Mar 2014 12:14 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

steveraspberry wrote:
I agree with Promethius. There are always reactions to new tech. I think we need to give it a bit of time to settle into it. There are teething problems with most dealers. I've just had a phone call to tell me that whilst the valeters were preparing my wives' D4 for collection in about an hour, one of them have managed to scratch the number badly enough that it needs repairing and painting! Censored happens, it's no big deal and they will sort it. I appreciate that some people have had battery problems etc but I think that has been tracked down to the same source, valeters leaving the doors open, stereo on etc. so hardly JLRs fault really. I understand the frustration some are feeling but in the grand scheme of things, these issues will get sorted, the new tech will either get used to or some genius on here will find a way to bypass it. Everyones' a winner!

Peace and love Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Best,

Steve Thumbs Up

Have to knock a few quid off in my subsequent negotiations with you in the future now knowing it's got 'accident damage' on it! Rolling with laughter

Post #125213413th Mar 2014 12:34 am
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

£2?

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #125214113th Mar 2014 12:47 am
Manorfarmer

6 week report

Fault EVENTUALLY traced to crankshaft sensor which entailed removal of gearbox to replace it! Not nice on a brand new car. Has been good as gold since getting it back.

After Sales Manager at Guy Salmon was very understanding and he agreed to service my 'old' Disco 3 FoC which has now been done (and it is now for sale if anyone is interested!).

JLR HQ Customer Services (Pete) sent a nice Champagne Hamper as well which was a nice touch but I would still rather not have had the grief.

Am enjoying the car now. Particularly like the feather touch on the brakes that allows you to control the Eco Stop/Start (when you remember!) and the auto headlight dipping system is much better than I expected it to be. Also like the Fuel Burning Heater, especially the remote operation.

Does anyone know how to set up the trailer assist with the three big spot sticker? Guy Salmon don't and referred me to the handbook - which says consult your dealer!
 Manorfarmer
200 Series
300 Series
TD5 x 2
D3 HSE + TV
D4 HSE 

Post #126836511th Apr 2014 5:34 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

This might help.
You'll need to leave the three black spots on the trailer at all times to make use of the hitching up aid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgwe2gAkO0E
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #126838011th Apr 2014 6:26 pm
Manorfarmer

Thanks D4mation - it isn't 100% clear in the video as to whether the '3 dots' has to stay on the trailer 'for ever' or just during the initial setup - do you know?

I have three different trailers and only one set of 'dots' although it won't be particularly difficult to replicate them.

One thing the dealer or JLR got wrong was the trailer pack is single 13 pin plug rather than the 2 'old fashioned' 7 pins that I 'thought' I had ordered (invoice just says 'trailer pack!)
 Manorfarmer
200 Series
300 Series
TD5 x 2
D3 HSE + TV
D4 HSE 

Post #126844111th Apr 2014 8:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >