Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Blind Spot Mirror/Solution For MY12 D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:
Land Rover don't treat this as a joke. All the Range Rover family have blind spot monitoring now. Optional on lower specs. I see it's also an option on the Disco4 now as well. Not one that you'll be specifying though eh Steve? Thumbs Up

http://rangerover-mobile.landrover.com/gb/...hnologies/

The new Evoque I had for a couple of days recently had it fitted. The only problem was that I hadn't read the manual, so I didn't have clue what the various different lights and symbols etc. that appeared on the mirrors meant.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Actually I do have it on both our cars and it IS a very useful feature I agree. My point was that there is no need for perfection if there is competence. Gadgets can fail and whilst they do make our live easier it can sometimes be at the risk of eroding basic driving skills. I am not for one minute claiming perfection, far from it ( Have you seen my signature?! Rolling with laughter ) but our increasing reliance on technology can sometimes come back and bite us in the ar$e Sad

Best,

Steve Thumbs Up
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #132513215th Aug 2014 8:59 am
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

astonbuilder wrote:
They sell blind spot mirrors and now engineer blind spot sensoring into cars because there's a need for it and it can aid safety.

I have full rotational mobility and as a motorbike rider feel I am more than aware of "what's around me" but in 33 years driving I've had my share of "whoa, Censored me" moments and/or the mirrors on what JLR product I'm driving have flashed before I've seen the car in my blind spot (not saying I wouldn't have seen it but the mirrors were quicker).

Personally think the OP is valid and a call for help, however 'stupid' usually given useful response on here not an educational speech to 'be perfect like I am' Rolling Eyes

Hope you find what you want that works for you and aids yours and others safety Thumbs Up

Re read my reply Aston old chap. I am not claiming perfection, I am merely questioning the increasing reliance on technology over core driving skills. Technology which can either fail or as has been pointed out elsewhere, is confusing if we are not aware of its' purpose. I do not insult you just for expressing an opinion, I would be grateful if you would extend me the same courtesy. "Education is only obstructed through ignorance" as someone of importance once said, probably. I agree with the technology, I have it specc'd on my own cars, my point is that we should not rely on that tech to the exclusion of what are core driving skills. You as a motorcyclist would know that better than most I'm guessing. You don't change lanes on a bike without a lifesaver, why do it in a car?

Peace and love,

Steve Thumbs Up
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,

Post #132513615th Aug 2014 9:15 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Not sure where I 'insult' you personally, was making a generalisation on a number of replies and thus used inverted commas to emphasise that point. I don't think I gave patronsing quotations to make my point either but guess its how we interpret things differently, eh, 'old chap' Wink

Nowhere do I say rely on technology alone (even if that 'technology', note the use of inverted comma's again - yep, that probably comes actross as patronising I admit -, is something as simple as a convex mirror or as complicated as BLIS type technology systems). No manufacturer either says rely on the technology, in fact in these PC days and litigious society we now seemingly live in they give multiple warnings about NOT to rely on it.

I do use 'lifesaver' looks in my car, its a natural instinct/habit (for me) so thanks for the hint but you're preaching to the wrong person on that one. However many people only trained to drive cars and never having sat on a 'bike in their life probably don't have a clue what 'lifesaver' is, however bleedingly obvious it is to those in the know.

If sticking a convex mirror on or paying for technology helps then that's a good thing for me. I remember back in the eighties when little blind spot mirrors that screwed onto the edge of the mirror casing were actually a fashion accessory on cars Laughing

Peace and love accepted, reciprocated with etheral hugs and kisses Thumbs Up

Post #132514515th Aug 2014 9:33 am
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,

Post #132514615th Aug 2014 9:36 am
Washwipe

England 

steveraspberry wrote:
I always find checking over my shoulder before manoeuvring usually does the trick Rolling Eyes This is a joke post right? LOL

Sometimes things happen to quickly, even if you have checked over your shoulder, only yesterday whilst in Lane 1 of the M5, I needed to get in to Lane 2, it was clear, a very nice Firenze D4 with Black Pack was just I front of me over in Lane 3, I checked, nothing was in Lane 2, I indicated and started to move over, the dozy bimbo following the D4 decided to undertake the D4, and enter Lane 2 to complete her undertaking manoeuvre Evil or Very Mad

Post #132541315th Aug 2014 9:19 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Some brilliant views here...the use of technology

Sensors that look at where you cant or probably won't (blind spot detection) is just brilliant
but will sense something where some drivers won't & wouldn't know why to look there anyway...over your right shoulder. A good driving habit...maybe a bit old school but a good habit..that might just save a catastrophe.

OK...when in the UK & driving a RHD car...the thread commences with those struggling to see when in Europe & driving on the right....which is an issue on RN routes with rocket propelled Frenchmen zooming up at warp speed. Scary.
Were probably at the start of a sensor revolution where all the perimeter of the car is sensed...in some way
We almost all have parking sensors & believe them - saves bumps & scrapes that cost money to fix - these are at parking speed & if they fail (like Disco ones do) the damage should be slight & usually to the other vehicle.
Blind spot detection is at road speeds (whatever road its in use)....is something very different
To me at least - OK use it (if you have it) as an addition to mirrors & the look over your shoulder...

I have the forwards facing Radar on my new Golf...which has a variety of functions:
ACC - which monitors the distance & speed of those in from when using cruise control....brilliant & it works flawlessly.....actually a bit spooky. The handbook does state where it won't work or is limited.
Brakes assist - where of you are approaching something faster that you think (moving or stationary) it will warn you very loudly...then prepare the brakes & then apply the brakes...hard.I haven't brick wall tested it (yet) but it does deploy itself at quantum speed....works when Cruise is off
Parking sensing - it simply puts on the front parking sensors when approaching something ahead of you...simple & effective (wish my other cars had this) always there defaults to on even if you enter set up & turn it off
......all standard kit at SE level & above
- all these are very good & I use them BUT I dont & won't depend on them..it doesn't eliminate the observation & care you have to take to make up for automation known or unknown limitations or failure (I won't mention what in my signature lines).

You can also get side & lane assist...extras
Actually my new 7 series Golf is the most integrated vehicle I have driven....finding new things everyday that are working in the background. It hasn't told me to take a break (coffee cup symbol) yet. If Jag?LR used this level of infotainment / automation / integration as a benchmark they wouldn't go far wrong. Has to be used to be fully appreciated.

I said before that setting your mirrors can be a revelation into what blind spots can be eliminated...a simple fix......Setting mirrors is today easy...more remote movement by buttons nowadays with memories that are set for the driver...so there is no excuse to have existing mirrors "not set". I see many just jump in to their cars & start setting mirrors whist they are driving...which is wrong wrong wrong (my eldest got a right blocking from me when she did this recently)...& she usually lectures me !
How many clean their mirrors ?...

My VW Golf has a dipping n/s minor when reversing....like most cars these days......it works "dips" if you leave the mirror adjust button on LH side position - which means you can swap to the reverse dipping off if you need to FAST without having to mess your mirror driving settings up & without going into deep menu territory when you are doing something far more important like reversing & ensuring you dont damage your car or someone else's. Someone thought this one out.

Simple, effective & purposeful. Like all automation should be. A solution to a problem or issue that is there & needs to be improved. In most cases AUGMENTING whats done not replacing it......Simply. (a good place to mention dipsticks see below)
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #132551216th Aug 2014 8:04 am
MeanDorris

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks for all the replies.

Reading around on proper setting up and positioning of the wing mirrors certainly did help (essentially pushing them out wider than I had been and checking the handover between the rearview and the wings).

I also now have an MY15 on order with the Exterior Detection Pack which includes the blind spot monitor and closing vehicle sensing so interested to see how this operates, but in my opinion it can only be a good thing that they are starting to offer this technology.

Very Happy

Post #13523094th Oct 2014 7:55 am
astonbuilder

Example of a blind spot mirror doing its job properly. On a Hyundai Elantra we had in the US

Click image to enlarge

Post #13524364th Oct 2014 12:59 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

The last car I bought had those stick on jobbies on when I bought it, ripped them off and binned before I left Kent Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #13524394th Oct 2014 1:04 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I might be wrong, but I think the blind spot mirror on the above Hyundai is actually part of the whole mirror, not a stick on. Good idea IMO. But each to their own etc. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography (now semi-retired) 

Post #13524494th Oct 2014 1:57 pm
astonbuilder

It is. Was just demonstrating what good design can do

Post #13524554th Oct 2014 2:23 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I thought it was Thumbs Up and yes it's a great bit of design. It seems totally logical to incorporate them into wing mirrors to me.

I'm sure, many years ago, I had a Volvo which had the end section of the drivers wing mirror as a blind spot. I think it had a dotted line showing the division.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography (now semi-retired) 

Post #13524664th Oct 2014 3:09 pm
David W

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

After a near miss where somebody just seemed to appear from nowhere just as I was about to pull out (suspect it was something to do with it being a 4 lane motorway) I invested in a mirror very similar to the one below, cheap, cheerful and as far as I was concerned absolutely perfect. As long as it is placed in the correct place (though this one looks adjustable) you could see to almost 90 degrees ie right at your shoulder.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/interior-...car-mirror

Post #13529145th Oct 2014 6:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >