Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Passenger side sunroof drain tube replacement access problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
LRkarlak

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4

Right...

Found the split elbow joint and replaced with the new one.

I am really struggling putting the CJB back in though.. The 2 rear connectors. Is it just a case of trying and trying ? There just does not seem to be enough space to work behind there and pull the locking lever down.

Thought best to pop in for a cuppa and step away from it for a while...
 D4 HSE Lux. my 2015 . Mariana Black  
Post #236237718th Feb 2024 3:36 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Yes, good idea ( cuppa).Refresh, restart etc.
You're right it is a real struggle. Everyone says so. Do keep at it ( or get someone with small hands to have a go. ). Try different angles etc and you'll get there eventually. Many of us have been there! All of a sudden it will go and you wonder why it didn't before.
Ty here is a trick on here suggesting winding twine around in a certain way then pulling down can help pull the locking levers down. I tried but didn't quite work for me. Might even be a reference further back in this topic.
I hope you remembered to disconnect the batteries before hand.
Good luck, well done on the fix. Keep at it and don't let it get to you. It's just a big dexterity puzzle.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #236238118th Feb 2024 4:00 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

An extract from a previous post , in case it’s useful.

The trickiest part of this job, as everyone has stated, is the removal and replacement of the two rear connectors. Once the front and bottom connectors are off, release the bottom of the CJB by removing the 10mm nuts and let it pull forward off the two bolts. This allows you to get your hand up the back of the CJB. These two back connectors have release catches that push upwards (away from you as you lie on the floor). In the closed position they are located half way down the connector and stick out from the back. Note there is a third socket halfway down the length of the CJB at the back that is unused. Seems obvious but when you are putting it back together by feel alone it's helpful to remember this.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #236238518th Feb 2024 5:01 pm
LRkarlak

And............... Its done Very Happy

Everything is better after a break for a cup of tea. The 2 rear connectors just need perseverance as others have said, what a git of a job though. Battery reconnected and a nervous wait to see if she started Shocked

Not a lot to add to the other posts, but a big thankyou for the pointers. Have added some photos, our CJB had the 2 lower connectors. Not going to put the trim back on today, will leave that off while the carpet dries out...

Having said that, Son and I swapped out the broken heater fan-unit of his 1989 Volvo 240 last year. I would say that job was much more of a pig overall..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Looks like I have had a scrap with an angry cat !!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #236238818th Feb 2024 5:19 pm
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hi, I'm sure I posted about this before, maybe it was a P.M.......
I managed to overcome footwell flooding (passenger side) by diverting water direct from the A-pillar tube down to a gland in the floorpan. I slid / eased slightly floppy plastic tubing down BEHIND the CJB.
Tubing was chosen for a neat push-fit over the in-situ tube inside the A-pillar, which I cut about half way down the pillar. At a guess I'd say the tube came from garden watering section of a DIY store ? Black thin-wall plastic.
Once tubing appeared below the CJB, I routed it down under carpet and padding to the steel floor.
I'd found a blanked-off hole there, plugged with a rubber grommet (clearly as-built at factory), replaced the grommet with a rubber 90-degree knuckle joint (can't remember where I got that either), terminated the tube on that joint.
Thus water from front-left of the sunroof drain gutter thereafter exited the car via the extended tube and the floorpan.
This solution "worked" for couple of years until I sold the car (an early D3 V8). Critical point is that YES the tube effective cross-section where I pushed it behind the CJB was an unknown, and it must have been squeezed to an extent - but I DID test the fix at the time with the car suitably tilted - poured water into the sunroof drain gutter, which appeared on the ground below the floorpan; water didn't "backup" so the drain throughput seemed reasonable; floorpan remained dry.
I guess the WEAK point of my solution might be that a slightly "flattened" tube could maybe become blocked by grit and debris over time.
For me, the advantage of NOT winkling-out the CJB was the big incentive to devise the above fix.
Hope somebody finds this useful Smile)))

Post #236240419th Feb 2024 5:13 am
RPAtotheStars

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi,

I have just taken the CJB out for the second time! I did the repair and like others lost skin and blood getting those connectors back on. Then when I started her back up the car said the tail gate was open and a few other issues. I tracked the tailgate down to one of those connectors on the back C0586 pin 10.

After lots of thinking and checking the connector it all looked ok then I notice that the pull down clamp was broken, see pictures. It should be a complete circle but it was broken.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So back together again, more blood loss, tea and swearing and it was in pull the clamp down and it wasn't home as much as the other connected. Pushed it in and it seated perfectly. All back together and all issues gone! Yippee!.

So if you are going this make sure those connectors are seated perfectly as you really don't want to do that again!!

Tomorrow is to replace the front Inner left parking sensor, hopefully easier.

Post #23633532nd Mar 2024 6:41 pm
LRkarlak

I had a connector clamp do the same. Not sure if it was me putting it back, or if it was like it before I removed it.

Just need to careful putting it back in, but it did hold tightly once pushed back firmly in place.
Post #23633592nd Mar 2024 8:47 pm
MiniNick

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Just completed the replacement of the elbow on the passenger side of my Disco4 (thanks to this thread). What a horrendous task that is, getting the rear plugs into those sockets genuinely had me in a panic that I might not be able to get the car back together! Finally got it seated and no faults on restart.

Just wanted to add a massive thank you to LRkarlak who was able to answer a last minute question of which of the rear sockets was in use on my MY15.

Lets hope this elbow lasts another 9 years!

Post #236428213th Mar 2024 9:59 pm
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Easter Monday was spent trying to replace the elbow. Censored me what a pig of a job. Mine had a very tiny leak that wasn't initially visible but it tracked down the body work after a while and once started I assume capillary action took over.
Fortunately I had the moral support and help from fellow member Oswiperus to have a go when panic was starting to set in!! Plus the use of his workshop and more dexterous hands!!

Now for the drying out period. All last nights rain and the cill was still dry so hopefully now sorted. Passed its MOT as well today so falling in love with it again Very Happy
 Today is the oldest you've been and the youngest you'll ever be again.  
Post #23657673rd Apr 2024 8:58 pm
Captain Crosscheck

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Good to hear you got assistance from a fellow forum member, we have a good community here! And as for falling in love again, why should you be better off than the rest of us here Laughing

Post #23658914th Apr 2024 9:55 pm
Lrstaylor

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

My solution to this was pretty simple and took 15 minutes
https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic59578-75.html
Page 6

Post #23658964th Apr 2024 10:50 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for the link, but the issue with the D3 is that there isn't a fake intake vent on that passenger side wing, so it's not easy (basically impossible) to get to the drain valve from the outside. Hence the pain of having to get to it from inside the cabin.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #23659105th Apr 2024 6:46 am
Lrstaylor

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Same principle for the d3 iv done 2 so far once the new pipe is pushed threw the tube and out of the old elbow it will drain without issue. Thumbs Up

Post #23659375th Apr 2024 11:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >