Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Blind Spot Mirror/Solution For MY12 D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
MeanDorris

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Blind Spot Mirror/Solution For MY12 D4

Can anyone recommend a blind spot mirror or solution for a D4 (MY12)?

Have had a couple of scary moments pulling across to the left on European motorways Shocked

Post #13215957th Aug 2014 12:56 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Specsavers Laughing

Post #13215997th Aug 2014 1:01 pm
MeanDorris

To paraphrase Edmund Blackadder, it's a good job I'm wearing my corset.... Whistle

Post #13216087th Aug 2014 1:08 pm
Washwipe

England 

If your not towing these are ok, fitted in a couple of minutes with a Phillips Screwdriver, so you can remove it when your back over here.
You can use if towing but just depends on what mirrors you have.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milenco-Blind-Sp...27e46750de

Post #13216817th Aug 2014 5:51 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

I always find checking over my shoulder before manoeuvring usually does the trick Rolling Eyes This is a joke post right? LOL
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #13220348th Aug 2014 11:28 am
MeanDorris

Thanks Washwipe.

No steveraspberry, not a joke.

Looking over your shoulder when you are in a UK model car sitting on the right, and crossing out into the left hand faster lane of a European motorway doesn't help that much, the Disco is high and visibility is not great past the posts, and a car can sit right in your blind spot where you can't see it...

Post #132353111th Aug 2014 2:07 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

Dorris,

Surely I can't alone in being able to drive a right hand drive car on the continent? I'm guessing there are plenty of others on here who can manage that task with consummate ease. Personally and no offence intended but if you are struggling to perform this basic safety driving skill then there must be a question mark over the driving ability or lack thereof. I also drive Discoveries, a lot of them and I am also paralysed from the chest down so my ability to rotate my core is compromised. I can still do the necessary safety checks and I still teach advanced and off road driving. If I can do this mate then you certainly should be able to and if you can't then there is a serious problem to be addressed and it's not with the car Rolling Eyes

Best,

Steve
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,

Post #132355311th Aug 2014 3:09 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

there is a bit of a blind spot in the left hand mirror when driving on the right. but its easily rectified by looking in the wing mirror before you need to look in the mirror !

don't leave checking your mirrors until the last moment. you should know what is behind and alongside you all of the time.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #132355511th Aug 2014 3:17 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,

Post #132355911th Aug 2014 3:19 pm
MeanDorris

Probably all of those things, I do not disagree...

... but have been driving a disco for thousands of miles on the continent for about 5 years, and have never had an issue, except last year, during one trip, with the family in the car, had 2 near misses.

Yep, probably if I looked in the mirror before I needed to look, yep, quite possibly didn't have my mirrors set 100% correctly (the wife and I share the driving so they get moved a lot).

However, don't see any problems with looking for a simple solution to help mitigate the issue if I am not being perfect Thumbs Up

Post #132359611th Aug 2014 5:18 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Land Rover don't treat this as a joke. All the Range Rover family have blind spot monitoring now. Optional on lower specs. I see it's also an option on the Disco4 now as well. Not one that you'll be specifying though eh Steve? Thumbs Up

http://rangerover-mobile.landrover.com/gb/...hnologies/

The new Evoque I had for a couple of days recently had it fitted. The only problem was that I hadn't read the manual, so I didn't have clue what the various different lights and symbols etc. that appeared on the mirrors meant.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography (now semi-retired) 

Post #132359811th Aug 2014 5:26 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

They sell blind spot mirrors and now engineer blind spot sensoring into cars because there's a need for it and it can aid safety.

I have full rotational mobility and as a motorbike rider feel I am more than aware of "what's around me" but in 33 years driving I've had my share of "whoa, Censored me" moments and/or the mirrors on what JLR product I'm driving have flashed before I've seen the car in my blind spot (not saying I wouldn't have seen it but the mirrors were quicker).

Personally think the OP is valid and a call for help, however 'stupid' usually given useful response on here not an educational speech to 'be perfect like I am' Rolling Eyes

Hope you find what you want that works for you and aids yours and others safety Thumbs Up

Post #132362111th Aug 2014 6:25 pm
FenRob

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I was surprised to find my D4 had no wide-angled part of the mirror - every other car I've had since the mid-90s has had this. I always check over my shoulder too, but it does seem like an omission.

Post #132362411th Aug 2014 6:32 pm
Dickbrowne

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I have to stick my neck out (see what I did there?) and agree with the op - there is a significant blind spot.

I drive up to 30k miles each year and am a cyclist and a motorcyclist so have good awareness, but have had more reasons to take action since driving my Discovery than many cats in the past.

As a result, I've changed my driving technique. I always check and double check and always use a lifesaver before changing lane, but there are occasions when lane changes have to be made quickly - maybe somebody else has forced it upon me and my immediate reaction wasn't to brake (HGV's for instance may change lane suddenly to maintain their momentum, yes I should be aware that it is going to happen, and there's always the left hand pedal if I'm not sure about changing lane, but let's face it, sometimes we will all move over a lane which we've not checked properly rather than sacrifice 25mph or so).

Sometimes, on a long journey, I may not check my mirrors as often as I should. Can anybody say that they don't also have this "fault"?

I'm a good driver, but I'm not perfect.

So, to mitigate the risk,mix have two small self-adhesive aspherical blind spot mirrors on my door mirrors, they are unobtrusive and actually work quite well. Like me, they ain't perfect, but the intention isn't to use them for detailed examination, but when I give that final check of the mirror before moving, I also glance at the blind spot mirror and on a number of occasions I have seen movement in the mirror which has caused me to consider the manoeuvre.

My last car had a blind slot sensor which was great, but the last 10 or so have had those mirrors which curve at the outside edge, which is so much better. Why LR chose to not fit blind spot mirrors to such a high vehicle is a mystery.

We should all be aware of everything around us at all times but we are human and, given the number of accidents on the motorways caused when changing lane, the mitigation of that risk with such a simple change is both logical and sensible.

BTW, these are the mirrors I use - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-SUMMIT-BLIND-...25903e3ae6

Post #132512115th Aug 2014 8:07 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Adjust your mirrors

may sound too simple...but
I have taken all my cars to Europe....the disco & jag I simply rest the nearside mirror to a wider setting (looking further out)...
Disco - I played with settings in a car park with traffic cones to get the best options & found with the Disco I achieved a virtually bind spot free view....the biggest thing is to re program your head to work from the LH mirror insitinctively as opposed to the RH one - the quick milli second glance before you pull out.
Not the same with the Jag as its a cabriolet the behind the passengers head portion of the hood when its up - is a massive blind spot for joining roads from slip roads, despite various mirror resetting trials......I did find that you can swap the mirror glass onthe XK to a LHD one...bit costly though as these are dipping ones.
So thanks for the link to sticky-on mirrors that are large enough to actually see things...
maybe its time to ressurrect wing mirrors (actually on the nearside front wing) as the nearside one solves all these issues...with these they are in your normal fron field of view & you dont have to look accross the car.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #132512715th Aug 2014 8:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >