Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

D4 v D3 issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
arnie8

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
D4 v D3 issues

Hopefully in the near future I will be in a position to upgrade from my current D3 to a late D4. I am sure there are many of you D4 owners that have upgraded from a D3. So, can you advise if the D4 has any major issues that the D3 did'nt have.

I have owned my D3 from 4k miles through to 88k miles over the last 8 years. It is only an S spec 7 seat manual that was previously owned by LR. Although only being an S spec vehicle it came to me with decent ICE, heated front screen, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, heated cloth seats, climate pack, rear parking sensors, tow pack, privacy glass, cruise control. NO sunroofs - I learned my lesson with a D2 and twin sunroofs!!.

Over the years I have had the usual problems of Clutch (manual) issues, new front Diff both done under warranty. But also 2 sets steering arms, lower front suspension arms, failed suspension air compressor and now on 2nd new set of discs on each corner. Plus failed rear tailgate release cable breaking - fixed myself. The only other disapointment was the tyre wear. I went through 2 sets of Pirellis, each doing 18k miles, before fitting All Terrains, which have now done 50k and just sbout ready for swap.

Funnily enough I have never had a problem with the EPB. Probably because rarely off roaded, but more likely that as it is manual I use the EPB , rather than with Auto simply leaving it in Park.

I believe the failure list of parts above is quite typical for my D3, can anyone tell me if I can still expect to have these same issues, but more importantly have LR come up with even more points of failure that I would be likely to encounter over typically 5 years of ownership.

My spec for a D4 would include all my D3 features but with auto box, GS Spec, less than 10k, front parking sensors, etc....

Can you confirm command shift works OK? I tow a tinshed occasionally and like to use the gearbox to help brake when going down some Cornish lanes.

Cheers,
Arnie8

Post #13549399th Oct 2014 4:18 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

You could be describing my old manual D3 with that list,it's uncannily similar to my list of repairs/failures....I guess,as you point out, the weak points are pretty well known and documented.
Reading through posts on here,I personally don't see the same D4 issues cropping up time and time again,but of course they're newer and generally will have fewer miles on them.
I found my Scorpions lasted much longer,and just took them off after having covered more than 30k on them.
I had my from diff replaced on both,but I'm led to believe that is highly unusual on the D4,from the Dealer and LR themselves.
Compressors seem to be holding up well,but I've had a new set of front discs due to "warping" and I'm not alone.
Can't answer the tintent question,but feedback on here suggests its superb for that too,in either 6 or 8-speed spec Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #13549489th Oct 2014 4:31 pm
ROY_H

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Had my D4 for about three months now. tow a Coachman Pastiche 520/4 so fairly heavy single axle.

Towing is superb. It's my first auto (previously had a 300tdi and a TD5 manuals ) and have just finished a holiday towing from Devon to Keswick, over to Huntingdon, down to Salisbury then back to Devon (don't ask !!) Totally flawless. Extra power/torque over the TD5 was very noticeable.

What I did do when towing was if we were on windy roads I put it in Sport mode and if I felt it was particularly tricky used the command shift. Mine is stick change which I'm happy with as it is my first auto so I have the comfort of something familiar.

In all, the capability and flexibility is there and I never felt I was out of control, just learning some new driving techniques (oh, and the wife constantly reminded me we were towing the van Rolling with laughter )
 Morris Dancers: Drinkers with A Dance Problem  
Post #13549659th Oct 2014 4:59 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I think you'll find it's an all round better car. Performance-wise, with the higher BHP, there's a noticeable difference. Effortless driving, in fact. I actually think that Land Rover really must have listened and learnt. The D3 is an excellent car, but the D4 does seem to be panning out to be much less prone to "common faults".

As for towing, it regularly wins "best tow car in class" and in 2010 won "best overall tow car". (I think that was in Auto Express magazine, in conjunction with the Caravan Club but stand to be corrected on that. One of those car magazines anyway). I tow a 4 berth single axle tin tent and it is superb.

I understand the spec you are looking for, but if you manage to find one with a reversing camera, it's a doddle to reverse up to your caravan - you can see the tow bar at the bottom of the picture, so can reverse up to within an inch!

Post #135618311th Oct 2014 8:54 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

The D4 has won the heavyweight class every year since it's launch at the Practical Caravan/What Car?/Camping and Caravenning Club's Tow Car Awards, and was the overall winner in 2010 (it's first year). It still probably remains the best all-rounder in the "competition", but a new winner has to be found each year (for the purposes of interest). I bought mine on the back of being one of the judges at the event, and other than the new RRS I haven't driven anything to better it! The opposition is getting much closer, but so it should five years on!

Post #135645312th Oct 2014 8:22 am
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

The brakes on the d4 are bigger last longer. The front suspension is uprated to RRsport. Apart from that they fall to bits exactly the same as the d3. They are the same vehicle with a bit more leather on the dash.
 D4  
Post #135716413th Oct 2014 10:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >