DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

ikea allen key vs roof rails
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
christoff

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
ikea allen key vs roof rails

Hi all...

I will be picking up my 1st Disco (SE, 05MY) tomorrow Very Happy , and have found this site very useful and informative. I particularly enjoy the rather tinted view of Disco ownership - I remain very nervous about reliability..hey-ho.

Wife wanted an XC-90 Whistle , if my Disco starts to break I'll never hear the last of it. Big Cry

Anyway - My Disco won't be coming with roof rails and I've read on here that the fitting procedure involves hack-saws and torque wrenches.

On the basis that my DIY capabilities extend as far as Ikea furniture and thats about it (I wouldnt even contemplate relatively easy things like changing brake pads Embarassed ) do you think i'm suitably skilled up and experienced to have a go at fitting these myself without incident?

I'd be interested in hearing your experience of fitting these things - particularly from those of you that approached this task with the amount of trepidation that I would. Thumbs Up

Christoff.. (anticipating permagrin!)

Post #16950121st Jun 2007 9:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Roof rail fitting requires a Torx driver (tx25 IIRC) and a hacksaw to cut the existing trim Wink
don't worry too much about any rough edges as they will be hidden underneath the roof rails... if you think it'll be an issue, you can buy the pre-cut versions from the dealer Wink

Post #16951921st Jun 2007 9:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoHead

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I fitted them myself and have had no experience doing this kind of thing before getting the D3. Since getting it I've fitted the radio buttons, a dvd player, an A bar to the front, and the roof rails.

Each one has taken a certain amount of "heads down and give it a go" type attitude but all have been fine. This site is a wealth of information that really does help.

The only bit on the rails that is nerve racking is cutting the existing channel covers. Just measure once, twice, and a third time for good measure and you'll be fine.

Post #16952321st Jun 2007 9:59 pm
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Don't worry about owbership the car is sxxt hot, we are all perfectionists here, im not sure many people have ever been left stranded, in fact I have recovered 2 people, never, been let down apart from a few niggles that have been sorted out. The trick is find a good dealer who doesn't take the p!ss
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #16952521st Jun 2007 9:59 pm
christoff

Thanks.

Would you know if i was to grab an ebay bargain from our mate in Yeovil, would it come with all the instructions and be obvious to me where I was to cut?

I hope you sense my nervousness and lack of confidence !! Embarassed Sheep Sheep Sheep

Post #16952621st Jun 2007 10:00 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Nick will sort you out.

Otherwise look here http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/extfree2viewlrprod/index.jsp

Post #16952821st Jun 2007 10:02 pm
SPORTYBUS

Northern Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

rogue wrote:
Nick will sort you out.

Otherwise look here http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/extfree2viewlrprod/index.jsp

Great link Rogue..... I haven't came across that one before! Thumbs Up

(Wish I had before (i) Fitting Tow bar + Electrics. (ii) Front + Rear Mudflaps. (iii) Side Bars. (iv) Interior Rubber mats. (v) Reflective mirror caps. (vi) Sill protectors. etc.) - Ok, don't be a drama queen, only the mirror caps were difficult Embarassed
 Est-ce que bonjour, vous aime ma nouvelle découverte brillante gentille trois, je pense qu'elle regarde les boules de chiens, pas vous ?  
Post #16954221st Jun 2007 10:23 pm
christoff

Thanks all...

There are times when a mans got to do what a mans got to do.. I can just imagine Mrs Christoff and the rest of the clan standing in bemusement watching me dismantle our new pride and joy after just a week or so of ownership....

Picture the scene..

3am, very quiet, very dark except for the lights on the drive shining out on me in my stripey PJ's, sweating, cursing, going a bit mad a-la Chief Inspector Dreyfuss (pink panther films)..

"It's OK kids, your dad's not been feeling too well lately, I'm sure he'll get better soon".
"But mum, he's trying to saw the new car in half".

F**K it - lets have a go. I'll let you know in a week or so.

btw, Rogue, thats a hell of a site - first time i've seen any mention of it on here...

Post #16954821st Jun 2007 10:32 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

GTR (owenerinfo) gets mentioned quite a bit. Absolutely brilliant piece of work by Land Rover's web people. Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #16955221st Jun 2007 10:41 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

GTR & the Owner Info sites aren't the same thing Mr LackOdo$h. One's free, one isn't Rolling Eyes
 The End  
Post #16958921st Jun 2007 11:27 pm
christoff

Was hoping to get the car today, but my cover note didnt arrive in the post as planned, but thats royal mail for you.

It's got me wondering whats the first 10 things to know, do, be aware of, change or complain about upon getting the car.
eg - roof rails, sat nav on-the move, 1st experience off-road etc etc.

I'm sure many of you have thoughts - so I'll post something elsewhere then stand well back for a day or so and read with interest.

I'm now off to order some stickers. Zambezi with Privacy, so I'm going external and orange.

Cheers.
Christoff.

Post #16960821st Jun 2007 11:53 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Slimer wrote:
GTR & the Owner Info sites aren't the same thing Mr LackOdo$h. One's free, one isn't Rolling Eyes

I claim cider as a mitigating factor, milud (hic). Thud
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #16961822nd Jun 2007 12:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >