Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Changing flexible brake hoses: a few tips!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DDDad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Changing flexible brake hoses: a few tips!

It's a fairly easy job, but everything that can go wrong did for me on the first hose. I got better though!

Having learnt the hard way, I suggest:

1) Be wary of thinking open-ended spanners will work. Buy a 10mm and an 11mm flare spanner.

2) On the rear hoses, try undoing and retightening the 10mm nuts on the rigid pipes that run around the wishbones, before you commit to being off the road. If you can't get these loose without twisting the pipe, you'll need to make up new ones with copper pipe and a flaring tool kit.

I painted mine black with Hammerite when I'd finished. OCD, you see. Wink

3) Clamp the highest part of the old hose(s), disconnect the banjo bolt on the calliper and tape the banjo connector into a plastic bottle to catch the drips. Put the old banjo bolt back into the calliper to keep dust out. Leave the clamped hose connected at its top end until last (see 5 below).

4) The front hoses have a 90 degree bracket halfway up. I really struggled to get a socket (let alone an Irwin bolt grip) on the rusty 10 mm bolt behind the bracket, as it is crowded by the hose itself and the suspension height sensor. I cut through the old hose to make space and, because I'd clamped it and drained it, there was minimal messy leakage in the process.

5) Install the new hoses from the bottom end upwards, leaving the clamped top end in place. When ready, unscrew the top flare connection and quickly connect the new one. Put rags underneath to catch the drips.

6) Once all the new hoses, hardware and copper washers were in place and correctly torqued up (don't over do it, especially the flare nuts), I bled out all the old fluid, which was 3 years old. I used the Sealey tyre-pressure kit at the top end and a Halfords valve & bottle kit at the bottom. Three litres of new fluid did the job. The bleeding order is left rear, right rear, left front, right front.

Hope this helps newbies, like me! Thumbs Up
 Went for a job as a human cannonball. Not the right calibre.  
Post #148980619th Jun 2015 1:09 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks for the write-up as it will help others.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #148981119th Jun 2015 1:15 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Would you mind if I used some of the pics/words to go into this?

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic130828.html
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #148982619th Jun 2015 2:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DDDad

Not at all. Go ahead. I've benefited enormously the other way round! Thumbs Up
Post #149000819th Jun 2015 7:30 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Changing flexible brake hoses: a few tips!

DDDad wrote:

5) Install the new hoses from the bottom end upwards, leaving the clamped top end in place. When ready, unscrew the top flare connection and quickly connect the new one. Put rags underneath to catch the drips

Before undoing any pipework, push the caliper pistons all the way back, and wedge the brake pedal down on the floor.
This stops any fluid escaping from the pipes, and saves a whole lot of mess Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #149001019th Jun 2015 7:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DDDad

I've not tried that one. I'd heard that sealing the filler cap with polythene would achieve the same, but it didn't. Perhaps the elastic band I used was not tight enough to hold a vacuum? The viscosity of the brake fluid is so low, nothing seems to stop it p Censored g out!

What do you think of this quote from the Haynes manual, Section 10.4.2, DM? "Caution: Pushing back the piston causes a reverse-flow of brake fluid, which has been known to 'flip' the master cylinder rubber seals, resulting in a total loss of braking." It says to always open the bleed nipple when pushing a piston back, closing it just before releasing the piston Question
Post #149003919th Jun 2015 8:29 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I bleed them into a bottle when pushing the pistons back. At the end I suck out the remaining fluid in the reservoir and top up with fresh. It does no harm to get some fresh fluid in there.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #149004319th Jun 2015 8:34 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

DDDad wrote:
I've not tried that one. I'd heard that sealing the filler cap with polythene would achieve the same, but it didn't. Perhaps the elastic band I used was not tight enough to hold a vacuum? The viscosity of the brake fluid is so low, nothing seems to stop it p Censored g out!

What do you think of this quote from the Haynes manual, Section 10.4.2, DM? "Caution: Pushing back the piston causes a reverse-flow of brake fluid, which has been known to 'flip' the master cylinder rubber seals, resulting in a total loss of braking." It says to always open the bleed nipple when pushing a piston back, closing it just before releasing the piston Question

It's good practice to do it that way, but I've never damaged a master cylinder yet Neutral
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #149005519th Jun 2015 8:48 pm
DDDad

The most important thing, of course, is to avoid the reservoir running dry Exclamation I understand that, if air gets into the master cylinder, only dealer equipment can bleed it out Question

Last edited by DDDad on 20th Jun 2015 4:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #149005619th Jun 2015 8:50 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Not just dealer equiptment, but yes, a modulator bleed with a diagnostic tool is needed. The Nanocom can currently do this and it's on the request list for the IID. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #149020420th Jun 2015 8:45 am
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Changing flexible brake hoses: a few tips!

Disco_Mikey wrote:

Before undoing any pipework, push the caliper pistons all the way back, and wedge the brake pedal down on the floor.
This stops any fluid escaping from the pipes, and saves a whole lot of mess Thumbs Up

I used DDDad method of clamping at the top of old hose then worked up from caliper with the new.
Then I switched to DM method and used swmbo to 'wedge' the brake pedal for final connection to rigid pipe and it worked a treat with minimal spillage Bow down Thumbs Up

Another couple of tips if not been mentioned before:

Crack the top connection to the rigid pipe BEFORE you remove the clip (I didn't first of all and was then trying to hold the flex end with some water pump pliers and undo rigid with other hand) Embarassed

Also to get better access to the top bolt holding flex pipe to underside of top suspension arm I jacked lower arm up to bring top closer to horizontal, as I'd pre-soaked with penetrant the night before it came out a doddle Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #163127826th Mar 2016 11:30 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Those Brembo discs appear to be painted already. Shocked

Which ones are they, please? The last set of Brembo V8 discs I fitted to my D3 did not come painted.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #163128426th Mar 2016 11:48 am
DiscoJake

They're actually d4 discs as gone for complete front end upgrade hence the shiny painted calipers.

I'm not sure about the d3 but on the d4 brembo do 2 options denoted by the last digits of their part number, 30 or 31 I think which is painted or not.

The main reason I bought them is they were an amazon bargain at £35 a disc as opposed to £70 for the other variant Thumbs Up

Post #163129126th Mar 2016 12:15 pm
DiscoJake

Just had a look at brembo catalogue and yes the painted variant is available for d3 v6 and v8

09.8875.31is the part number for v8 painted Thumbs Up
Cheapest I could see them for was £46 each but could always try Steve at AF

Post #163136926th Mar 2016 4:08 pm
john ryan

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Just done the fronts with hoses from an AF kit. The worst bit is getting the machine screws undone -these attach the hose brackets to the upright, and to the upper suspension arm. After 12 years the miniscule heads had rusted, so I had to hammer on a 3/8 socket - very tight. Have four replacement 8mm x 15mm long set screws ready. A set of Irwins would be a good precaution. In my case the ferrule securing one hose end had rusted away to nothing. Rears still to do, but the AF kit includes the pipe between the two hoses on each side ( and 6 replacement horseshoe clips).

Post #17761759th Feb 2017 11:16 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >