Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Injectors.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Think of it this way. No 5 was at near max limit and it still wasn't happy with the overall smooth running, it couldn't add any more fuel into no 5, so instead it dropped the fuelling on the other cylinders, thus making a smoother running. But it was probably running ok, just didn't have any reserve to adjust to if things got worse.

What it is looking for is 1000 over all 6 cylinders, in an ideal world.

If you add together all your first set of figures and divide by 6 the average is 980. Not too far out, but it would contribute to slightly uneven running.

If you do the same with the second set, it's 1019, so as you see, you have improved things, but not by much, but you have brought all of them closer to the magic 1000, thus allowing a greater margin before unevenness occurs.

But in the real world what are you achieving? My guess is, it runs about the same.
If one injector is pegged at 1400 and you can feel a misfire, then it would be worth changing. Or I have had an injector pegged at 690 and the engine smoking (the other extreme).

But really, the old adage is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, else you will be renewing all injectors as a new set will flow evenly.

HTH
Regards
Steve

Post #158480630th Dec 2015 5:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

^^^ Very much from the same school of thought as my own indy over here in Hampshire. Thumbs Up

The wide availability of diagnostic tools such as the IIDTool is a good thing but not when users of them start swapping out parts based on what the tool is telling them, rather than what the engine is telling them.

I fully intend to leave mine well alone until such a time as I'm getting a misfire or excess smoke (of which I have neither, at the moment, despite three injectors running at ~1200-1300).

Idling when cold is a little lumpy. That is all.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #158481430th Dec 2015 6:14 pm
MyBelovedLucia

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi all, I have a situation with my car that after extended idling white smoke is produced from the exhaust and billows out when pulling away for a short time only there is also quite an acrid smell about the exhaust any time!

My question is after being quoted between £1500 to £2500 to have the injectors replaced, what damage can be caused by continuing to run the car like this and what advantages will I receive from paying out the big bucks and having the works carried out?

Any comments and thoughts would be gratefully received
 All the Best  
Post #176895625th Jan 2017 9:21 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Get them to check the injector balancing figures and see if they can spot an odd one.
I have had this and it was just one injector

Regards
Steve

Post #176910426th Jan 2017 6:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
A.J.M

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

To end this one.

Last month I spent £1170 at Island 4x4 for 6 new injectors. All correct VDO ones with new copper washers and clips.
Threw old set in the bin bar 6 which refused to come out. I've not had a free day since the 27th of march to try again at it but it will be coming out.

Mine had poor fuel economy, would smoke badly if left idling and was running poorly.
The IID tool was showing the values were over 1300-1400 and near 650 for others, so I bit the bullet and stuck a full set in.

Fuel economy has went from the 20-22 back up to 25.8 for first full tank used.
Car is on the BP Ultimate diet as it goes for new glow plugs next week.

Post #180234911th Apr 2017 10:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >