Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

EGR Blank ok, also remove the Butterfly?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
craigside

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
EGR Blank ok, also remove the Butterfly?

My EGR valve(s) are on way out on my '06. I've read the posts on here and gained some confidence to do the blanking job myself.

How important is it to also remove the butterfly valve and those pipe stubs? Is it essential, does it affect performance? and is it fairly straightforwards or quite difficult?

Thank you for any advice...

Post #164574425th Apr 2016 8:47 am
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Yes remove the butterfly it isn't a difficult job, and it's recommended that it should be done during the blanking process.

Post #164574525th Apr 2016 8:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
craigside

Hi, thank you for your speedy reply.

I'm going to order the kit now. Do you have an idea of how long the whole job should take?

Thanks

Post #164574825th Apr 2016 8:53 am
Madrilleno

England 

Yes, you need to remove it, although the engine will still run if you leave it in place. It's easy - just don't drop anything inside the housing when you take it out.
 There are two rules for success,
1. Never tell everything you know.

D4 gone!
D5 

Post #164574925th Apr 2016 8:55 am
craigside

Thanks!

Post #164575125th Apr 2016 8:59 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

craigside wrote:
Hi, thank you for your speedy reply.

I'm going to order the kit now. Do you have an idea of how long the whole job should take?

Thanks

first time, about an hour. Use plenty of wd40 type spray on the bolts as they can rust quite a lot!! and be gentle applying the pressure to undo the bolts. you need to apply plenty, but sometimes its worth just holding it on the breaking point for the corrosion to free up with the pressure.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #164581825th Apr 2016 1:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
craigside

Hey...

I did pretty much as advised, removing the pipes and fitted blanking plates. Did the WD40 soaking and used a small socket set, not difficult just fiddly. I did the the pipe removal using the instructions that came with the blanking plate kit (off ebay) - this doesn't mention the butterfly valve? The main hassle I then had was removing the lower RHS Torx screw (next to oil filler cap). In the end I bought a Torx allen key set (£6 at screwfix) that did the job!

However, I then realised that if I followed the 'bell auto' instructions (that include removing the butterfly) the torx screws become accesible when the airbox is lifted up... I then removed the butterfly valve no problem.

I've been driving around today and the diiference is remarkable! No smoke on startup, no lag or hesitation when put foot down, and feels like its running cleaner/more smoothly. I will also mention previous owner had her remapped/chipped, BUT I've never felt any affect (over the past 5 years and 2 months), I now suspect that the remap is now taking effect because the egr has been removed?

I think it took me a about 2 1/2 hours all in, but I have no doubt I could do it in half the time if there was a next time. It isn't difficult just fiddly, the main thing is take care and precautions not to drop anything in the wrong place!

Thank you for the tips and postings that made it DIY do-able! I wouldn't have attempted it without this forum. Very Happy

Post #164690027th Apr 2016 3:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >