Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Help please..rattle noise under load & buzzing at 1.5kk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CaptainSUV

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Help please..rattle noise under load & buzzing at 1.5kk rpm+

Hi all

Love my car but has developed a rattle like tappets or injectors that doesn't sound when in netural/park and with revs but gets worse under more load when driving. Been advised all is ok by a garage (sat in passenger seat) but to me its not right. Never had the clicking tapping whoosing noise 1k miles ago.

At circa 1500 rpm onwards when I take foot off the gas I can get a wooshing sound - harder driven louder the woosh when off the gas. Really sounds like I have an air leak causing the pinking under acceleration/loaf- air/fuel mix problem but have not had the engine management light on?

I've already tried injector cleaner in the diesel and also running with higher octane fuel and done recently done an oil change 6k since last full service.

No smoke, slightly rough tick over when cold, but definately a metallic pinking rattle under load and the shhhhhh when crusing at say 55mph which stops with a slight increase/decrease in speed (accelerator).

Thought about trying egr cleaner spray?

Good service history and only 90k on a 56 plate. Not using any oil. Had a look at hoses etc but nothing looks out the ordinary.

Worried it may be something serious and therefore not driving at the moment just in case its an injector or diesel knock. Planning on doing another oil with filter change (only did an oil change 1k ago) this weekend then getting it to another garage to review. But as I say no engine light faults showing on the display and other than running noisier it performs as normal. Put it like this if I had headphone blocking out any noise it drives perfectly.

Grateful of any advice, please...

Thanks!

Post #164714127th Apr 2016 8:14 pm
brightyuk

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Maybe worth posting a video of the sound.

When you did the filter change did you ensure the filter was located correctly in the lug.

Adam
 Vehicles
2016 D4 Landmark Indus Silver
2005 D3 HSE Silver
Detent Circlip 'How to Guide'

Post #164724527th Apr 2016 10:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBB

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Turn up the radio Very Happy
 There is no I in team, but there are five in Individual Brilliance

Disco gone, emigrated to a VW Amarok 

Post #164726827th Apr 2016 11:48 pm
CaptainSUV

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Brightyuk

It had a full service 8k ago. I did just an oil change 1k ago (easy via dipstick) as I didn't have the 32mm socket. But sound been aroung before my oil change just seems to be getting worse. So going to do oil and filter together - now have the huge socket.

It does sound like valve train or pinking as not constant ticking. I do hear other cars sounding (rattle sound) the same at times. New and old. But not the buzzing at constant throttle or whoosh off gas.

Really think its air/fuel mix related but had no indication on dash. Hence poss egr or split pipe?

Thanks

Post #164728428th Apr 2016 2:10 am
WillyEckerslike

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The whoosh sounds like it could be intercooler/turbo pipe. However, the ticking sounds like the crossover pipe could be a candidate.
Have never heard EGRs making a sound like you describe.

Post #164728528th Apr 2016 2:34 am
Dave T

England 

I heard a strange noise on one once that was an injector slightly loose, without hearing your noise its hard to compare, but easy to check.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #164729828th Apr 2016 6:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >