Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Winter rubber or studded tyres for ice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Skendall

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

Great responses, thank you all. Having sent the original post before work, where do I start?! The ice driving looks awesome, love to have a go.

What sparked my question was seeing a stunt team try to get an Aston Martin power sliding on ice, and with studded tyres it would not slide (so laws of physics can work in our favour Wink, I had not realised the uk law so that was helpful; and you're right, not practical to change back and forth in the uk.

Yes, it was specifically the Hard Knott and Wrynose passes in the U.K. Lake District that got me thinking... I have a Land Rover so I don't need to 'go the long way round'... However I tend to be fairly cautious when in doubt (and brain always engaged) especially with my kids in the car! Even the alternative route this weekend saw me going over ice bound mountain passes in -4 degrees c; I used the hill decent mode on the down hill bits. It was midnight and very dark up there. Heavy frost and very icy too... loads of cars spun off and hit walls etc. Touching the break got the anti-lock breaks working straight away, but the hill decent control seemed well in control.

I am tempted to try the best winter tyre, but the hard knott pass is very steep (down hill), and slide sideways on a bend and you have a long Drop! I was hoping someone would say "yep, always do that route in any conditions and have no worries" but maybe not. Smile.

I'll build up my confidence and experience with winter tyres gradually (without the kids in the car) and if anyone does do that route then it'll be great to hear from you.

Great forum, and having had 3 Range Rover Classics, the next generation Range Rover, a Freelander 2 (now my wife's car) and now the LR3 I'll be on here quite a bit.

Thanks again for all the responses. Safe driving.

Post #174086028th Nov 2016 8:48 pm
Skendall

I meant to say am still on a train so can't wait to get home so I can watch those clips fully. Am going to Scottish highlands at Christmas so hoping for lots of snow.

Keep the posts rolling. Thanks again.

Post #174087128th Nov 2016 9:00 pm
Skendall

No one has mentioned chains! Are they not an option... would they not dig in to ice?

Post #174087528th Nov 2016 9:12 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Not really. They tend to turn into ice skates. Too much surface contact area

Post #174089728th Nov 2016 9:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >