Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

It's snowtime ☃️ ***All snow stuff here***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 34 of 34 <123 ... 323334
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Get down to Halfrauds tomorrow and buy ALL the T-Cut !

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #235955020th Jan 2024 8:42 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

gstuart wrote:
Will be interesting to see if he gets any pics in the daylight and the right way up , thk god it was a modern car with there safety features , may I ask what make of car it was plse,

Just like everyone just so pleased they came out safe and sound

Plus hope the police arnt pursuing any action seeing it was down to the icy road

2010 Fiesta Econetic.
I did look at the NCap testing before deciding on getting it and for the size of car they seem pretty solid with knee/head/side airbags as well as the normal ones.
It had over 250k miles so very little monetary value although it was a really good, economical car and drove better than many 40-60k mile examples we tried.

Police attended, as well as ambulance to check them over.
It's statistically quite often the most 'dangerous' road in the country and the conditions were very bad last night. Police were probably happy the only thing that was a mess was the car and everyone was alive and well.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #235955920th Jan 2024 10:57 pm
highlands

Hardware wrote:
Get down to Halfrauds tomorrow and buy ALL the T-Cut !

That'd definitely cost more than the car is worth, even with my trade card! Very Happy
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto

Post #235956020th Jan 2024 10:58 pm
Captain Crosscheck

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Good to hear they could all walk away from that one! Ice is scary, and not to be taken lightly. I really appreciate the safety of the Disco.
dantheman wrote:
We're coming to Oslo in a months time. Is Feb usually better or worse than Jan??

Well, February is usually colder, but I can't make any sense of this winter. First extreme cold, then snow, now bitter cold again, then more snow, and tomorrow is bringing buckets of rain!! FFS, this week is going to turn the whole south of the country into a skating rink covered in water.
*activates off-road mode

Post #235957021st Jan 2024 2:18 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

highlands wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Will be interesting to see if he gets any pics in the daylight and the right way up , thk god it was a modern car with there safety features , may I ask what make of car it was plse,

Just like everyone just so pleased they came out safe and sound

Plus hope the police arnt pursuing any action seeing it was down to the icy road

2010 Fiesta Econetic.
I did look at the NCap testing before deciding on getting it and for the size of car they seem pretty solid with knee/head/side airbags as well as the normal ones.
It had over 250k miles so very little monetary value although it was a really good, economical car and drove better than many 40-60k mile examples we tried.

Police attended, as well as ambulance to check them over.
It's statistically quite often the most 'dangerous' road in the country and the conditions were very bad last night. Police were probably happy the only thing that was a mess was the car and everyone was alive and well.

Bless u for the reply and very impressed all the airbags worked as intended particularly seeing it was 14 x years old

Hear so many horror stories when vehicles leave the road , saw one video the other week of a pickup going off the road and upside down landing in a deep river

Thks again and all the best to everyone

Post #235957321st Jan 2024 2:45 am
Worms

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Highlands, glad everyone is ok.

The last few days have indeed made for "interesting" road conditions, but reinforced why our maritime climate is often much worse for drivers than the stable, continental cold winters that are experienced elsewhere. The snow we had earlier in the week was nice dry stuff that was pretty easy to get around in, despite the -5C to -8C temperatures, brought in by the northerly arctic air-flow. But once we reverted to wetter westerly air, the snow was that very heavy, wet stuff that was much more problematic. The misty rain onto subzero roads at the beginning of last week was no fun either.

This being my first winter in the D3, I found it handled well, but always with that thought at the back of the mind that it can easily become a 3-tonne sledge. The Grass/Gravel/Snow setting seems to kill the acceleration in a way that it never did in the FL2 - I'm assuming that is partly down to the automatic box putting me into a higher gear but it leads to much less feeling of feed-back from the road.

I was also disappointed about the lack of space around the pedals for driving in boots! Much more difficult than I expected and way worse than any of my previous LRs.
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW - still got this, non-runner on SORN.
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #235957821st Jan 2024 8:06 am
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Captain Crosscheck wrote:
Good to hear they could all walk away from that one! Ice is scary, and not to be taken lightly. I really appreciate the safety of the Disco.
dantheman wrote:
We're coming to Oslo in a months time. Is Feb usually better or worse than Jan??

Well, February is usually colder, but I can't make any sense of this winter. First extreme cold, then snow, now bitter cold again, then more snow, and tomorrow is bringing buckets of rain!! FFS, this week is going to turn the whole south of the country into a skating rink covered in water.
*activates off-road mode

We'll prepare for every eventuality then!! Heading up to Geilo on the train. Looking forward to it.
 Today is the oldest you've been and the youngest you'll ever be again.  
Post #235958321st Jan 2024 10:41 am
highlands

Worms wrote:
This being my first winter in the D3, I found it handled well, but always with that thought at the back of the mind that it can easily become a 3-tonne sledge.

Yep. There aren't any tyres legal in the UK that'll deal well with ice.
It is disconcerting when you totally lose grip in a D3...some of which is the obvious embarrassment if you come a cropper in bad conditions in one...something not so much felt doing the same in, say, a Fiesta! Wink

Worms wrote:
The Grass/Gravel/Snow setting seems to kill the acceleration in a way that it never did in the FL2 - I'm assuming that is partly down to the automatic box putting me into a higher gear but it leads to much less feeling of feed-back from the road.

I don't think it's so much the gear it puts it into, but rather it massively reduces the sensitivity of the throttle, so it's easier to apply very little throttle if on e.g. wet grass.

Worms wrote:
I was also disappointed about the lack of space around the pedals for driving in boots! Much more difficult than I expected and way worse than any of my previous LRs.

I noticed that a bit in a previous manual D3 but haven't had any issues since going down to 2 pedals.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto

Post #235961521st Jan 2024 4:48 pm
Captain Crosscheck

The throttle response in snow/grass/gravel is a total waste if you know how to drive on snow. The Disco isn't exactly a racehorse to start off with, and when I tried snow mode for the first time it was hopeless getting used to. For grass and loose gravel it would make more sense, but it's not for me when it comes to snow.

Post #235962521st Jan 2024 6:34 pm
Worms

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

That's interesting. I'll need to read-up on how the GGS setting on the D3 differs from FL2, as I used that a lot in winter and it made cornering on slightly slippery roads a lot better. It was so easy to switch it on and off, with little perceptible difference to throttle response.
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW - still got this, non-runner on SORN.
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #235966422nd Jan 2024 9:19 am
Captain Crosscheck

I find it dulls the throttle way too much. After having driven on $hite Norwegian winter roads for 20+ years, I feel I kinda know how to. E.g. driving to a cabin we usually go to, up a lot of steep hills, snowy and icy, you sometimes need some welly. If said welly does not appear when asked for, you can easily loose your footing and direction.
That said, the Disco is great on snow! A lot of people here drive 4x4's, and I've always found it a bit over the top, but after having experienced it I'm not sure I'll go back to a regular var again.

Post #235966822nd Jan 2024 10:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 34 of 34 <123 ... 323334
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >