Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Wet passenger footwell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Chefdemarlon

United Kingdom 2005 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenLR3
Wet passenger footwell

Hi guys ive found out i have a wet passenger footwell ive read about the drainage pipe down the side of the car but it hasnt rained in a good few days so could this still be the issue or is there anything else to check or look at cheers

Post #194770724th May 2018 9:38 am
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I’ve been through soaking carpets since I got the car in January, and hopefully now sorted it.

The 4 main causes seem to be

1: A pillar external trim clips - need an upgrade kit
2: Sunroof drains blocked - front drains run down internal A pillar and exit thru body in the passanger and drivers passanger side is a PITA to get to
3: A/C unit drain hoses blocked - again both footwell, but towards centre consol this time
4: cabin air filter/ plenum chamber - water runs down windscreen, past scuttle panel seal, and into upturned air intake for ventilation system air intake; easy check ... just locate air filter compartment behind glove box, open the door to access the filter, and see if it’s wet.

Most of this comes from the LR TSB found here

Look here for other TSB's on the forum

Big issue is if it feels wet on surface of carpet, need to check if it is saturated underneath, as you don’t want water collecting around the wiring looms in the channels running from front to back of car.

Need to lift the plastic tread plate at front door so you can expose the edge of the carpet and stick a hand under it to feel how much water there is beteen the metal floor of the car and the rubber sound dampening on the underside of the carpet.

I’ve got a few posts asking for help on all this, and in them are links to LR water ingress guides and photos etc on how to deal with this.

I’ve even got a YouTube vid linked somewhere on how I flushed my drains, but tbh you need to replace the drain elbows if they have never been done.

If you need more direction, feel free to drop me a PM

Post #194776124th May 2018 12:21 pm
Chefdemarlon

Wow thank you for reply ive been looking into this and ive noticed the grommet that attaches to the sunroof drainpipe isnt even in the body of the car so the pipe is just hanging lose so i take it the water has come from there so i will fix this is there a way to dry the water up or just let it dry itself there isnt loads of water but still very damp

Post #194777524th May 2018 12:58 pm
XDAndy

You might want to be a bit careful with the drain elbow.

Reason it may not be attached is that the rubber may have perished.

You can get a replacement hose + elbow direct from an LR dealer for under £5. The part number you want is

EEH500120

Its for a Range Rover Sport, but the difference is the hose is longer so needs to be cut down if replacing everything.

If just replacing the elbow with the new style, then you don't use the hoses anyway.

The 'official' Disco 3 one is

EEH500100

but it is £15, and the LR bulletin on replacing the D3 drains actually references the RRS one as the part to use so save your money I think.

LTB00218

I've replaced all 4 for under £20

As for drying the carpet, it is worth it as the underlay is thick rubber and becomes saturated. Will take forever to dry and may start to smell.

To lift it you need to pull up the plastic tread plate trim by the front passenger door. It's held in by metallic clips

IPN500090

and runs all the way to the back door as a single piece. Carefully and firmly pull it up to get it free, at least thats how I got mine up. You may find the clips are corroded/broken/missing, so may need to be replaced.

Once up it is worth pulling out the other bits of trim in the footwell; "instrument panel end panel", "closing trim panel" beneath glove box, and also the trim panel on the door side of the footwell, where the bonnet release lever is.

Once these are out this will let you lift the carpet a lot more easily to get under it.

Also worth checking for any standing water in the wiring loom channel that runs front to back under the tread plate trim.

If there is any, dry it up now as otherwise it can get into wiring splices and cause massive problems due to corrosion.

To force dry my carpet, I've used a HVLP spray painting turbine, with the hose placed under the carpet to force air through the space. It warms it slightly to accelerate drying, but not anywhere hot enough to cause damage, but do keep an eye on it.

In addition, overnight, I've held the carpet up and even pushed a chemical dehumidifier box under there.

It took weeks to dry it all out, with several sessions of force drying, but worth doing as the underlay is so thick it will never dry on its own.

Even when you think it is dry, go back and check a day or two later as I found water had tracked down from other areas in the carpet, so all seemed soaking again. It really does helped a phenomenal amount of water!

Follow the guidance on checking your sunroof drains are not blocked as well as from the age of the car this is possible, and as you are dealing with drains might as well get it all done now so you know its ok.

I didn't follow the LR advice, but used Hozelock micro irrigation tubing to push down the drains and flush them. Somewhere on one of my previous posts I've linked a youtube vid of the process.

Others have used net curtain wire to push down to clean.

If you need any details on removing bits, PM me.

Good luck!

Post #194780424th May 2018 3:01 pm
Chefdemarlon

Thank you very much for your reply i will check all 4 like you say thank you very much for help cheers 👍👍

Post #194780624th May 2018 3:20 pm
XDAndy

very welcome.

Hope it helps

Post #194780724th May 2018 3:25 pm
Chefdemarlon

Thank you very much for your reply i will check all 4 like you say thank you very much for help cheers 👍👍

Post #194780924th May 2018 3:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >