Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Africa

Tyres - My Take
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
IronMan

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Tyres - My Take

OK so finally I have made the leap from 18” to 17” Rims. I was very fortunate, went to LR Centurion to get the Winch sorted (see other post). Started chatting to Neels (Sales Manager) and told him I was looking to put some good tyres like Coopers on but the 18” is limited to tyre choice and LR 17” Rims is going to cost the price of a small country! He then said they have a Demo with 17” Rims and Cooper ST tyres on and they will do a straight swap...
Next morning I was there, they swapped the wheels, brand new spare with Coopers the works!! Now must admit I’m very chuffed! I’m on my second set of Wranglers 68K on the clock (18K on the 2nd Wranglers, Coopers have 8K on them)

OK so the proof is in the pudding! 2 Weeks ago I was at Hennops with my 18” Wranglers, Sunday went to Hennops again to go and try the new wheels proper.

Road: Cooper ST’s perform very well. Motorway the road noise is more than usual as can be expected, but the FR Roof rack still out hissed the tyres. Cornering is good and can still go 120Km/h around the infamous M1/N1/N3 split bend.. (aka Buccloe).
Wranglers still win when it comes to road use.. but that is no surprise.

Off-road: Coopers with 70 profile (245/70 R17) gives and amazing performance off-road! I still run them at same pressure. (Road less 20%) The true test comes when they are wet! The Wranglers performed well on dry gravel, small rocks and sand. But last experience after the wade was they slipped all over the place when wet off-road. The ST’s went through the wade and climbed the hill after the wade without a single slip!! They also went over rocks far better. They climbed steep dongas and axel twisters and shaped amazingly well. I don’t have any damage on the rims even after putting almost all the weight on the right front wheel. IronWoman was with me and commented that she could not believe it... that must count for something! Mr. Green

Overall: I can live with the little bit of road noise knowing that I can now go to the limits of the D3’s capabilities. The ST’s are the best choice for me (IronWoman drives the D3 now to work and must go on the gravel road every day). The STT’s I believe would be slight overkill for my usage but the ST’s are delivering the best of both worlds for me as a complete package!
If we were doing 80/20 or less I will stick with the Wranglers, they do perform well with the D3 and its own capabilities as a 4x4.

OK, so off to Lesotho next week to do some Donkey trails and hopefully get plenty of snow!!

Can I also add, my D3 (one of the 1st 40 in SA – 2005 model) SE TDV6 now has 69K on the clock... apart from the minor enhancement packs and an original issue with the fuel sensor, this baby has been ticking over amazingly well!! Mechanically never any issues and it even went up the dreaded Gerotek mountain where Tony snapped away for pics he used in his advertisement!
Will update you all on my return and upload some pics...
Thumbs Up
Ironman out. Very Happy

Post #18441731st Jul 2007 8:28 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Cool - I went and played a bit at Rust De Winter last weekend and I must admit that I was initially a bit skeptical about the AT2's , but even with the trailer in tow the car still did everything easily . VIVA electrickery VIVA

Post #18442231st Jul 2007 8:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AP Moller

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Which is it then? AT2 or Coopers ST?
In 18 inch. I agree that STT is overkill.

Where can one buy? In Cape Town there is no stock.

I'm ready for six new tyres and have been told by Good Year's rep today that the silent armour AT tyres is on their way, to be advised how soon. In Linyanti swamp the road tyres were very slippery in places.

Post #18446431st Jul 2007 10:40 am
heine

Depends what you want to do - I'm happy with the AT2 until proved otherwise , but I guess I will go BFG next time . I initially was put off Coopers because of my experiences with them on my Defender . But the newer spec seems much better in mud and also on tar . FWIW I have never managed to get the Cooper's balanced properly

BTW all comments refer to 17 " . Not sure what the availability of 18 " in any of the above is

Post #18447031st Jul 2007 11:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andrew van den Heever

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Howzit AP Moller.
Can you get ST's in 18 inch? I though Copper only made STT's in 18? I was told by the Goodyear dealer that they could get STT's for me but they would have to order them. Seems a bit of an overkill I agree. Pretty Censored expensive too!

Post #18449131st Jul 2007 11:22 am
sniffmydiff

South Africa 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Cairns BlueLR3

AP,

There is stock of the AT2 in Pietermaritburg TWT, they have about 26.

But for R3800 a pop Shocked they can keep them.

Cheers

Post #18450131st Jul 2007 11:44 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If you want a tyre that will do everything you will always be dissappointed, ie. there is a trade-off between road performance and offroad performance as the required physical characteristics are so different. I also think it is false economy to use general purpose tyres for extreme offroad use, 'cos inevitably you will throw them away after an extreme outing, whereas extreme tyres would be fine.

My STT's have done in excess of 10,000 real offroad km, and are still strong & good for another 90,000. On-road I use the Pirelli's, which are on par with anything else I guess. I wouldn't expect the STT's to do the job of the Pirelli's and vice-versa.

Please try Dunlop for Cooper tyres - they are the importers, not Goodyear.
PM me for details of the right connection at Dunlop, otherwise contact your local Dunlop dealer. I paid just over R2k for STT's

Post #18457931st Jul 2007 1:36 pm
AP Moller

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Andrew,
Yes STT's are in 18 inch for the D3. I found a picture of this Cooper STT 275/65/18on new RR3 at: http://www.rangerovers.net/outfitting/tires/mkiiitires.html#intro
Overkill methinks as I drive 4 km to work. And they are huge. But 8)

Closer to our specs of rim and size see the Cooper ST's etc for D3, with pics:
http://www.coopertires.com.au/images/news/...0blurb.jpg
It will be a while before LRSA comes to the party. For the range of Coopers: http://www.coopertires.com.au/tyres/index.htm with 18 inch also.
XST and H/T+ but they are are on/off road tyres.

The ST-C also looks good at (where to buy) in 18 inch? see
http://www.coopertires.com.au/tyres/stc.htm

Sniffmydiff, R3800, too much for AT2. I need 6. The comment of Heine above about not balancing the Coopers (STT's?) bothers me, if the ST or AT2 does the same.

Baben, please pm the contact details of your connnection at Dunlop. I the Cape, I'm told no stock of ST's in 18 inch. Perhaps the STT's then? I have asked LRCT about the special for extra 5 tyres/ set of rims.
I have written off 4 OE Goodyears in less than 2 years in about 50 000 km. With less than 12000 on gravel/ offroad...

Post #18464431st Jul 2007 3:46 pm
heine

AP don't knock yourself out over the balancing issue - as I mentioned , mine are an earlier spec tyre, and I think Baben is quite happy with his .

Post #18465131st Jul 2007 3:50 pm
2006LR3

South Africa 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

I am new to this site, this is my first LR, this is my first post actually, must say i am very happy with it despite the EPB nigglys, but so far so good.
Was very interested in your tyre comparisons, mine was supplied with the usual 18 Wranglers, I got about 20 thousand out of them so far, might be able to squeeze 25.
Considering replacements, what would you guys recommend? the oringal tyres are available at about 2 grand but i dont llike the roadholding in the wet. I dont do serious off roading, just the mild stuff, new to the nature trails.

Would appreaciate some assistance.

Post #24351111th Jan 2008 11:02 am
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Welcome 2006LR3,

Good to have another Durbanite on this forum. In the 18"s your choices are quite limited. If you go for a highway tyre (HT) then you've got the Wranglers, Pirelli Scorpions and Bridgestone "something or others". I don't think the Michelin's are out yet but should be coming soon. If you want something a bit more substantial then you have to get General Grabber AT2's, which are an all-terrain (AT) tyre. Check out the tyres and wheels section on this site for more info on them, suffice to say I put them on my car in May last year and am very happy with them.

It basically boils down to this: HT smoother, quieter on-road, fast wearing, average to poor off-road. AT: slightly rougher and noisier on-road (but I'd be surprised if you noticed after a week), slow wearing and very good off-road.

PM me if you need help.

Rob

Post #24352911th Jan 2008 12:03 pm
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Ditto on robharveys post.

If you want more info and options, have a look at
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic17252.html
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #24466914th Jan 2008 5:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >