Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Low-level "grinding"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pdes

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Low-level "grinding"

Not sure if I have a problem or if this is a new experience! I recently changed jobs which meant that for the first time in 25 years, I could drive to work. This involves using a stretch of the A1 which is alway stop-start for at least 5 miles. During this slow-speed driving, I have become aware of what can only be described as a low level grinding sensation. It is not audible but is a feeling coming up through the steering wheel. It is somewhat cyclic, i.e. seems to "throb" with the rotation of something, e.g. the wheels. I appreciate that this could be simply the way things are and I could understand that some mechanical sensations are likely with so much metal on the move but, as I said at the start, this is new to me so I need someone in-the-know to give me some guidance. The Disco is due for its first service in Feb and has done 11000.

Thanks.............
 D4 HSE MY2015
8 Speed
Causeway Grey
Towpack
Surround cameras (joke!)
Vision assist
Extended roof rails
Rear Ladder
Remote heat
Prospeed sliders with steps 

Post #24713218th Jan 2008 9:51 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Throbbing and Grinding in the car! When I was 17 I had this girlfirend.............. Whistle

Probably not the same sensation, check wheels and tyres for damage, check for freeplay at the road wheels related to bearing loosness or steering ball joint wear or suspension damage, get wheels balanced again(Common cause). Grinding is an indicator for the wheels bearings being excessively loos, or a cracked wheel, have you aftermarket wheels on?

Post #24716518th Jan 2008 10:26 am
pdes

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

ianv wrote:
Probably not the same sensation, check wheels and tyres for damage, check for freeplay at the road wheels related to bearing loosness or steering ball joint wear or suspension damage, get wheels balanced again(Common cause). Grinding is an indicator for the wheels bearings being excessively loos, or a cracked wheel, have you aftermarket wheels on?

With such a low mileage and the problem only being apparent at low trafic-jam speeds, I doubt that wear and tear or wheel balancing is the cause. However, I will certainly have the bearings checked for looseness as the service. Wheels are the standard offering on an SE.
 D4 HSE MY2015
8 Speed
Causeway Grey
Towpack
Surround cameras (joke!)
Vision assist
Extended roof rails
Rear Ladder
Remote heat
Prospeed sliders with steps 

Post #24717518th Jan 2008 10:40 am
PeanutBob

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I've had that same low level grinding feeling through the steering wheel for the past 1-2 years occurring at approx 2000 revs or 25/35 mph. I had it checked out a few months ago but nothing was amsis. There have been other posts on this matter last year I seem to remember, see vibration and noise at 1500-2000 revs.

Post #24729118th Jan 2008 2:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >