Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Slow height changes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4
Slow height changes

I get no warnings but if I select a change in height it is very slow, up or down?

It eventually updates the display but it can take a minute or more.

Or is that normal Question
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #233901910th Jun 2023 11:58 am
KevinD3

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Nope, worth checking whether the desiccants in your pump need replacing
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

My Wife thinks the D3 is a hobby, The D3 thinks the wife is 💕 

Post #233902110th Jun 2023 12:37 pm
HairyFool

Can i tell which compressor is fitted without taking the cover off and looking?
Post #233906311th Jun 2023 8:51 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Sounds like you may have a small leak in the reservoir

Not big enough that it will still make its target pressure, but enough to leak out over time
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #233906611th Jun 2023 8:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HairyFool

Not likely to be a dessicant issue as having removes the cover I found a brand new Dunlop branded pump.

Little bit bothered that the aluminium support bracket is cracked around the bolt holes.

The car isn't used for days at a time and does not appear to settle so not a slow leak that I can see. I did notice that the powder coating is coming off the front of the air tank with some corrosion underneath. How thick is the metal of these tanks?
Post #233935913th Jun 2023 8:20 pm
protohyp

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

consider that sometimes the newfound pressure of a new pump will quickly move existing dissecant already in the valve bodies around. Doesn't matter if you have a new compressor or not because the valve bodies are what distribute the air and if they aren't replaced at the time you replace the compressor this is what can happen. It also doesn't mean that you just may generally have a leak but you can easily do a soap and water test on fittings to find out why its filling slowly.

You can most likely expect a yellow suspension light soon or "suspension raising slowly" warning on your dash.

When a dealer suggests they want to change everything to refresh the system they really aren't far from wrong. its just they charge an arm and a leg to do it.

Also consider where you park. If you park on an incline the amount of pressure that needs to be released from the gallery once the vehicle self levels is more than if you park on flat land. Honestly a minute to raise isn't too bad. Usually gallery pressure settles to 30-40 psi once the reservoir is filled to about 250 psi and you hear the compressor fart. It will release some of that to self level when you turn off your car and the vehicle does its thing over night. Now it needs to fill gallery pressure up again to about 250 psi to energize the system to raise and that will take some time. You can see this cycle from the GAP iid tool if you have one.

Post #233988519th Jun 2023 9:09 pm
HairyFool

The system generates no errors despite taking a couple of minutes from selection to the 4x4 display updating with the height change. The movement is so slow as to be imperceptable just sitting in the car.

It doesnt drop even when left for a week suggesting no leak. Unless both valve bodies have a problem the issue should lie within the pump/accumulator section as there is no noticable difference between front and rear. Neither is there any difference going up or down.

A flow diagram might help to diagnose, is there such a thing?
Post #233988719th Jun 2023 9:42 pm
protohyp

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

filling the gallery pressure from overnight self leveling provided you dont have any leaks should take between 20-30 seconds.

filling the gallery pressure between access, standard and off-road should take as long as you say its taking.

Remember that the compressors priority is to fill the reservoir not the struts. after a compressor fart as I mentioned before the gallery pressure will sit just under 40 psi. If you want to go from Standard height Offroad height the gallery will release a little pressure from that 40 psi to start the process of lifting. Now the compressor must again fill the gallery pressure up to at least 250 psi or until the vehicle reaches off-road height. This takes time. Its not unusual for it to take as long as you say it does. Once it reaches this and the gallery pressure its stable you will hear the fart and the gallery pressure will again stablize at 40ish psi. If for some reason the fart lets out too much pressure the compressor will go again until its happy. Sometimes people mistake this for a compressor problem but its not the case.

Now if you are talking about starting up the car in the morning and it takes two minutes to refill gallery pressure then you have a leak somewhere and need to address it. So the latter paragraph may explain why you're not getting any suspension errors because everything is perfectly normal provide I am understanding correctly that you're describing raising the vehicle via the mode switch in your center console.

Post #233989119th Jun 2023 10:07 pm
Lightwater

Australia 

KevinD3 wrote:
Nope, worth checking whether the desiccants in your pump need replacing

There is more water in the air than people realise. The attached photo is the water collected in the moisture trap after pumping up one tyre on a humid day.

A compressor is typically compressing air 7 times, so you end up with 7 times the amount of water in the system. Whether it's for tyres or lifting a car.

The water has to go somewhere. It won't take long for a dessicant trap to be saturated, then the tank starts to fill with water, which needs to be purged.

A moisture trap is not quite as effective as dessicant, but they self empty each time you purge the system.

My air tank for tyres is upstream from moisture trap (benifits & disadvantages, another topic), after a 3 month holiday airing up & down a lot, I will have 1/3 of a cup of water in the air tank (which can be easily removed).
 Visitor - Freelander owner  
Post #233990920th Jun 2023 7:10 am
Harry365

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Raising the car should take about 10 seconds. A minute isnt acceptable.

Parking on an even slope doesn't affect the self leveling any more than parking on level ground. The vehicle can only level the body relative to the chassis. Parking with 1 wheel on a tree stump might cause excessive drain overnight but shouldn't be an issue.

Each airbag is controlled individually and all are isolated from the reservoir. A leak in the reservoir wouldn't cause the vehicle to lower overnight.

The pump will burn out if it continues to be overworked. Check desiccants/find the leak.

Post #233993120th Jun 2023 11:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >