Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EPB screeching but its not jammed at the end of travel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
D@rren

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
EPB screeching but its not jammed at the end of travel

OK, so a bit different to the normal EPB problem I think. When #I got my D3 had the typical EPB problem of the mechanism being jammed and making the standard noises! I have replaced the cogs in the EPB gearbox and replaced the handbrake cables as one was destroyed. Rear brakes have been adjusted so should be close to where they should be.

Now with it all back together (I have taken the front off the EPB module so I can see what is happening) if I apply the EPB the mechanism is winding as I would expect but then starts making the screeching sound of the cogs slipping. This time it is not because the mechanism has run out of travel, in fact there is still bout 2 cm of travel left.

Any ideas why this could be, my 2 thoughts are either the replacement gears are useless so need replacing again (maybe spring not strong enough or that one has snapped immediately) or possibly the load sensor not detecting that the EPB is actually applied. Was doing this all with the car up on ramps at the rear and did get slight movement when I got the handbrake to release again so it appears that the handbrake is actually working, just making the noise and the car doesn't think it has been applied.

If I exhaust all other options then it may be a case of replacing the EPB module as there is only so much time I want to spend under the car with my arms wrapped around the rear diff. If this is the case are EPB modules VIN locked? I am sure I have seen it mentioned once or twice but from searching around I am not seeing many places that this is mentioned. If so then I assume I would need to sort this after fitting a new module.

Post #234081230th Jun 2023 7:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >