Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Differential overfilled?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

the plugs usually are tapered thread so just lightly tighten and I normally put a blob of grease over the plug so its not rusted in next time you want to remove it
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #205420718th May 2019 5:41 pm
CoopLR3

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Thanks for the tips! I put a little Teflon tape on the outermost threads and torqued to 40lbs.

I think I solved the mystery as to why fluid came out of the fill hole. It drained 60 oz (1.77 L).
Specs for my E-diff call for 54.4 oz (1.61 L). So it was overfilled. Now for the test drive...

Post #205424918th May 2019 8:03 pm
CoopLR3

My experience changing the drivetrain fluids begs the question... how much fluid?

The rear e-diff drained 1.77 liters, but specs are 1.61 liters, which is why so much fluid came pouring out when I removed the Fill plug. (I suppose someone used range Rover Sport specs in the last service?)The fluid was mostly clear amber and there was minimal dust on the magnet, though fluids haven't been serviced in several years, if at all. So, it must have run overfilled for years, with no problems. So are overfill disasters a myth?
Also the 1.61 liters I put in did not reach the fill hole. Could I be underfilled now?

The Transfer case oil only drained 1.27 liters, specs say 1.5 liters. I assumed this was due to fluid loss, but during the refill, oil began running out of the fill hole at less than 1.5 liters.

The front diff drained .83 liters (some out of the fill hole), but calls for .69 liters. The .69 I put in did not reach the fill hole. Was it overfilled before or did I underfill?

Quote from the Owner's Manual Capacities page:"The following capacities are approximate and provided as a guide only. All oil levels must be checked using the dipstick or level plugs as applicable".
If that's correct, then fill and spill is the proper method. But then why do so many insist on using the listed capacities, and not to the fill hole?

Post #205444019th May 2019 7:52 pm
CoopLR3

LR3 documentation contradicts fill quantity for the differentials, but confirms transfer case is spill and fill...

From Owners Manual
The following capacities are approximate and provided as a guide only. All oil levels must be checked using the dipstick or level plugs as applicable.

From Workshop Manual
Front Diff = CAUTION: Do not fill the differential with lubricant up to the filler plug. The filler plug is only used to fill the differential with lubricant, not to act as a level indicator.

Rear Diff = CAUTION: Do not fill the differential with lubricant up to the filler plug. The filler plug is only used to fill the differentail with lubricant, and not to act as a level indicator.

Txfr Case = Refill transfer case with the recommended fluid, until the fluid is level with bottom of filler/level plug hole

I guess the only way to know is to tally how many differentials fried after Spill 'n Fill vs specified quantities. Anyone know of such data?

Post #205500721st May 2019 11:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >