DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Difficult coolant bleed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Disko

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
Difficult coolant bleed

Guys,

Any advice appreciated on the topic title, having a bit of a mare tbh.

I had to give my recently new to me D3 numerous flushes to remove all kinds of crap from the coolant system - I had a real worry at one point the HGs were done but I am certain now they aren't.

It does not overheat, coolant level remains constant, no leaks visible. I have pressure tested numerous times and also vac tested and it holds both as it should.

I have the correct bleed procedure and have carried it out to the letter, slight variation and every which way I can think of.

It doesn't matter what I do I have a steady stream of bubbling from the top overflow hose into the expansion tank and in the morning when started it gurgles through the heater matrix.

How on earth do I get this air out of the system? I am at a loss, actually considering putting an additional bleed point in the heater hoses lol

Any tips for this much much appreciated, where is the air getting stuck? Heater matrix?

Has had new water pump and thermostat and like I say, hand flushed by me about 7 times. Lovely new pink coolant still looking lovely after several hundred miles, FBH works perfectly, heater blows hot (and stays hot at idle), warms up to 87 ish on the gap and no overheating.

Post #212419127th Feb 2020 1:20 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If that doesn’t cure it and you have bubbles coming out into the expansion tank it’s an head gasket, has the engine ever seriously overheated? - if it has its one or both head gaskets blown.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #212420027th Feb 2020 1:55 pm
Disko

I don’t know the answer to that as it’s a recent to me auction purchase. I’m not against the idea it could be HGF as I did suspect that and it’s no huge loss in the grand scheme of things. I’m trying to remain open minded lol

What I don’t get is how can it be displaying no other symptoms if that is the case? It will hold 10 PSI for 30 mins quite happily and it also held as much vac as I could apply.

Forgot to add in first post, also did a sniff test for CO2 with an ebay kit and it didn’t activate that either?

Have covered 2k miles in it now. Reason I overhauled the cooling system as was blowing colder at idle and when I did the belts (first job) I found evidence of a decent leak from the water pump area. I can’t say for sure whether or not it bubbled before my intervention.

Post #212423227th Feb 2020 3:23 pm
Discoveringcomfort

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I watched a test of a cheap chemical test, it did not show up the HG but it was noted that the water level was low in the tank like a Disco, when the level was increased to exclude the air gap it showed positive.
 Series 1 V8
Series 2 Hibrid V8
Discovery 3 HSE V8 

Post #212425427th Feb 2020 4:18 pm
Disko

Interesting, will have a try of that. It wasn’t the ‘cheapest’ test available but as testing alongside other methods didn’t want to go crazy. Tried it on a glass of flat tonic water after and the fluid changed colour in about 30 seconds...

I’m fully prepared to move this one on if needs be but would like to have a smoking gun of some variety as it drives soooo well.

Not a hint of water vapour out the back either Neutral

Post #212426127th Feb 2020 4:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >