DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Engine Rebuild/Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

knwatkins wrote:
NJSS wrote:
£3k supplied & fitted is IMHO far too cheap.

Go to someone decent, recommended by members here, for a price.

You could start with Oval Autos; see this post:-

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/oval-autos-...light=oval

Website here:-

https://www.ovalautos.com/

They are in Cradley B64 7RW, so much closer to you than "down south".

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

If you are determined to go with the £3k deal "down south", let us know with whom you are dealing & we may be able to help.

NJSS

Joe @ Oval hasn't done 2.7 rebuilds for a few years. It's not worth it due to the value of the D3s vs the effort they go through.

They don't just simply fit engines, they check and rebuild right down to the bare components - all new bearings, new lifters, guides, all injectors sent away and tested for flow rate and spray pattern, cranks, rods, pistons, flywheel and pulley are sent away and balanced as a complete set etc. The end result is a much more finely balanced and smoother running engine than you would buy new from JLR....

...but not for the 2.7, only for the 3.0 nowadays.

Just to clarify on this Kev, It's not so much the effort we go through in doing the work (we put the 100% effort in all our work), it's more a case of the cost of the work vs the value of the car. The rebuild (and any surcharge) costs are roughly the same for 2.7 or 3.0 engines. We stopped doing the 2.7 because I find it hard to justify presenting an quote for more than the value of the car. This is now becoming the same with early 3.0 engines.

Anybody that has ever phoned us for an enquiry gets the same response; "Until we stripped down the engine and carried out all the various other inspections, assume the worst case, but hope for the best. Is your car worth the worst case?". We leave it to the customer to decide what they want to do, unlike some places that say one thing and charge something else while holding the car hostage!!!
 Joe  
Post #214235829th Apr 2020 4:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you decide to send it to a reputable engine replacement company - key phrase is reputable, then try Shiply to move your car to them. I had a car collected from Lewis in Sussex and taken to Corsham in Wiltshire for less than £250. Excellent service. Thumbs Up

https://www.shiply.com

Jag engines are common replacements from the S Type. Speak to Disco Mikey or Woody 32 for advice.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #214239929th Apr 2020 5:38 pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 

OvalAutos wrote:
knwatkins wrote:

Joe @ Oval hasn't done 2.7 rebuilds for a few years. It's not worth it due to the value of the D3s vs the effort they go through.

They don't just simply fit engines, they check and rebuild right down to the bare components - all new bearings, new lifters, guides, all injectors sent away and tested for flow rate and spray pattern, cranks, rods, pistons, flywheel and pulley are sent away and balanced as a complete set etc. The end result is a much more finely balanced and smoother running engine than you would buy new from JLR....

...but not for the 2.7, only for the 3.0 nowadays.

Just to clarify on this Kev, It's not so much the effort we go through in doing the work (we put the 100% effort in all our work), it's more a case of the cost of the work vs the value of the car. The rebuild (and any surcharge) costs are roughly the same for 2.7 or 3.0 engines. We stopped doing the 2.7 because I find it hard to justify presenting an quote for more than the value of the car. This is now becoming the same with early 3.0 engines.

Anybody that has ever phoned us for an enquiry gets the same response; "Until we stripped down the engine and carried out all the various other inspections, assume the worst case, but hope for the best. Is your car worth the worst case?". We leave it to the customer to decide what they want to do, unlike some places that say one thing and charge something else while holding the car hostage!!!

Hi Joe, yes that's what I meant, the cost associated with your effort/work Smile

I also appreciate what you are saying about the early 3.0 engines too. Mine is as early as you can get (Sept 2009) and although it was just about worth having it rebuilt by you last year, given the depreciation over the past 12 months, I think it would be a different outcome if I were to have the same issue today Big Cry
 Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey 

Post #214240529th Apr 2020 6:07 pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

Tell me about it Kev!

I don't like turning work down, but I think after this period of uncertainty we might see less L320 work because of the repair/value ratio and my reluctance to put even more debt on customers.

So the options are; sell as a non-runner, recon engine, break for spares or DIY. Whichever option, big hole in the wallet.
 Joe  
Post #214251430th Apr 2020 8:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It’s such an unfortunate circumstance that no matter how attached we are to our Disco’s - the repair bills (engine change mainly) vs the value of the vehicle makes it very hard to consider biting the bullet, no matter how attached you can be to your Discos..

This has made me understand one of the reasons Defenders hold their values so well, by staying simple and small engines/no air suspension and the lack of tech.
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #214252030th Apr 2020 8:45 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Defenders aren't that simple anymore...

And an engine swap in one of them still runs into a £5k bill very easily
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #214254430th Apr 2020 9:32 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Disco_Mikey- point taken...what about Freelander 2s; and what offers best value for money as a keeper?

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #214254730th Apr 2020 9:35 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Freelander 2 is most reliable, and less likely to bankrupt you should anything go wrong

That said, anything that does go wrong tends to be fairly expensive...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #214254830th Apr 2020 9:45 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Disco_Mikey wrote:

I guess the difference in a defender is it’s worth replacing the engine for 5k if the vehicles is still worth 15k, for example

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #214255630th Apr 2020 10:26 am
KostasA

Greece 

Disco_Mikey wrote:

well if you spend 5k and get an LS engine + drivetrain on a defender is money well spend

Post #214255730th Apr 2020 10:27 am
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Exactly- that’s another reason, you can re-coup money with the values of Defenders.

Although, this topic is slightly pointless in a way. We’re all enthusiasts, we wouldn’t be here otherwise..the versatility of the Disco’s and comfort trump a Defender.

I’m sure most of us would justify the cost of an engine, because we would know the Disco would be staying long term after the outlay.

You can pick another running Disco up for the cost of an engine swap done properly - but then you have all the unknowns your buying into and knowing you’ll end up spending on that one to get it up to standard.

It all comes down to ‘better the devil you know’ IME.
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #214255930th Apr 2020 10:33 am
KostasA

Greece 

you are right on that one. i own both and truly i could never leave my D3. one plan i have in mind, when my engine goes, is to replace with the V8. i know some will say the consumption but i can live with that given what you get back.

Post #214256630th Apr 2020 11:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >