Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Drivers Door showing open when closed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Peter Leech

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Orkney GreyDiscovery 3
Drivers Door showing open when closed

Intermittently my D3 shows a warning that drivers door is open when it is firmly closed, this causes interior lights to be on, auto locking to not happen etc. opening and slamming the door makes no difference and then the fault just goes away by itself to come back in a day or two. If it happens when parked then the car cannot be locked or occasionally it happens when locked and then the alarms go off.
Obviously something to do with door switch but of course there isn't one of those little plunger switches like in the good old days, how do the door closure switches work and how do I fix this issue. Thanks for your help.

Post #118655712th Nov 2013 4:56 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Had this - open the door and give the rubber boot between the door & pillar a 'jiggle'.

If that cures it then suspect a dodgy wire / connection. Taking the door card etc off isn't that big a deal if you need to investigate further.
 I see no ships........  
Post #118659812th Nov 2013 6:14 pm
Peter Leech

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Orkney GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for the response, any idea where the door closure switch is located and how it works ??

Post #118663312th Nov 2013 6:59 pm
Mike Wwhiskey

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I had this on a rear door, with a recently fitted latch, so rather than immediately swap it out, I decided to investigate further.
I'm assuming all the latches work in a similar fashion so this should be applicable to a front door, but if not I sure someone will say so.

The door open/closed indicator comes from a microswitch within the latch mechanism. This in turn is operated by a lever which rides on the rotating part of the catch that engages with the post on the door. With the door open the lever is lifted, and when the latch rotates to the closed position the lever can drop under the influence of a spring.

The fault I had was that the lever was sticking on the shaft and would not drop without a sharp tap on the mechanism.

A spray of silicone lube and it now seems to be fixed.

You shouldn't have to disassemble the entire mechanism, the lever is visible with the latch out of the door.

It might be possible to spray with the latch I the door, but just removed from the frame, which would at least avoid having to reattach the bustard little cable for the outer handle. This is certainly what I will try if (when!) It happens again.

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a way of telling the car to ignore this signal, since you can't operate the suspension when the car thinks the door is open, meaning I was grounded for a week until I had te time to look at it.

Hope that helps someone.

MW

Post #22608768th Nov 2021 1:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >