DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Major oil leak in remote area
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
russrobe

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Major oil leak in remote area

Hi all,

I've got a major oil leak coming from underneath the crank pulley, it nearly looks like it's coming from a bolt hole that's there. At first I thought ah awesome I just need a bolt but the hole isn't threaded...I'm now guessing it's the harmonic balancer/crank pulley seal. Really hard to tell where it's coming from back there. If anyone has any ideas?

My only option out of here is to flat tow it 20Km, so I've dropped the rear tail shaft at the diff, but the front one looks like a mission to drop so hoping at least the rear prevents some damage in the transmission. Is there a way I can disengage the rear from at the transfer case? So it doesn't spin..

It's a long way from home, after the 20Km I need to winch onto a barge(it's on an island) and then pull it off on the beach and tilt tray it from there.

2.7l tdv6 2010

Cheers

Post #237499412th Aug 2024 1:48 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

No, the car with auto transmission can be towed as you would any vehicle provided you do not exceed a distance of 50km and absolutely not exceeding 50kph.

Towing it with only one shaft connected will damage the transmission/transfer case, so refit the shaft and place the trans in neutral with the ign in position I or II depending on whether you need external lights.
If you use position II the battery will drain quickly over distance so perhaps pos I and the hazards on would be a wiser option depending on your situation.

The oil leak is likely to be the front crank seal especially if the oil pump has recently been replaced. (incorrect installation of or inferior quality seal)

So put the rear shaft back and tow it with strict instructions to the tow driver not to exceed 40kph and you'll be fine for a distance of 20 kilometers. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #237502112th Aug 2024 2:19 pm
russrobe

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Ok sounds good. I'll be towing it tomorrow.

Is there a fuse I can pull to stop the steering lock engaging if it times out and turns off of position I or will it stay on if moving?

I had to pull it 20km to get here and it's didn't time out then but that was with the ignition on . Just want to make sure if I put it to accessories it's not going to turn off 5 minutes in and send me into a bush...

I have the push button start accessory only mode sounds like position I

Saving battery power is important as i need to winch it onto the barge. There's 300W of solar on the roof but I'll be towing it there in the afternoon so the more saved the better.

Thanks for the reply.

Post #237505013th Aug 2024 1:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >