PegLeg20th May 2008 12:56 pmPegLeg is confirmed
AndrewW22nd May 2008 10:23 amAndrewW is confirmed
gilmore22nd May 2008 9:50 pmgilmore is confirmed
tintenter23rd May 2008 10:46 amtintenter is confirmed
MW25th May 2008 10:40 amMW is confirmed
Pikey25th May 2008 11:33 pmPikey is confirmed

Donald

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just looked at the CD that came with the kit now, if anyone is unsure of what they are doing it has really simple instructions with pictures both for fitting the charger and for running cables to the rear.
 Chipped, K&N, tow pack, AT2's, Mantec, fridge in boot, invertor, Garmin, laptop/Memory Map, Optima yellow top, Traxide Kit, Phillips Extreme bulbs  
Post #31267921st Jun 2008 4:43 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Clearest instructions ever. I opened the pdf and printed it off before going out to the vehicle AND READ THEM first. Never a single RTFM moment BUT...

that b Censored earth nut is a Censored Censored to reach. 3/8" socket, long extension and universal joint required, which of course does its best to drop the nut in inaccessible places - but there is ample warning. NO chance with large hands (I don't Very Happy ) and an open ended 13mm spanner - unless my ABS pipes are in an unusual place...).

BTW
===
westfalia.net do a neat little fixed battery tester but it's a slow website :

http://www2.westfalia.net/suche/index.php?...g=37+53+37

at £4.99

indicates 11.6v (aaarghh!), 12.0v ( Sad ), 12.6v ( Very Happy ) and 13.6v (charging Mr. Green )
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #31277021st Jun 2008 9:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Anyone tried running the cable down the car yet?

Have battery now, but waiting for Bracket at southern meet Tues before I can fit mine...
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #31277321st Jun 2008 9:42 pm
Donald

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I used a magnetised 13mm ratchet spanner dwn the side of the pipes and a short 5/16 to take out the 2 bolts holding the black box marked Volvo, atthe back left of the battery box. The little amount off movement the cacle allows lets you get your hand under the nut in case! Another after thought - drop car to access high to make it easier to see/reach.
 Chipped, K&N, tow pack, AT2's, Mantec, fridge in boot, invertor, Garmin, laptop/Memory Map, Optima yellow top, Traxide Kit, Phillips Extreme bulbs  
Post #31287722nd Jun 2008 10:40 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Good idea about the magnetised ratchet spanner Donald. Might give that one a go if I can find mine! Embarassed
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #31291022nd Jun 2008 1:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Fitting of kit

Weeeellllllll! Considering neither myself or Gilmore had taken that much trim off our Disco's before, I think we did a pretty good job overall.
Both installing the SC-80 & LR-FCE.

Rob arrived yesterday around 1.30PM & we had both our motors running, charging and power to the back of the car before 7PM.

We were, I think, much slower than most as we were both checking & then double checking what we should be doing & then discussing on various routing options. It didn't help with my 4-1/2 year old who constantly wanted to 'help' or by the rain that kept sporadically appearing.

The instructions are pretty good, you just need to believe them when you're ripping big pieces of plastic out of your pride & joy!

We did have to re-route the 'big' cable more than once though as I think I routed it wrong first time around the steering after coming through the bulkhead. Will post a pic of what I mean once I've got the phone connected......
I think this is the ONLY part of the instructions that could have been clearer.

Whilst we were messing about in the engine bay, we both took the opportunity to disconnect the sounder so that if your alarm goes off, you will hear the horn instead of the pathetic sounder. Not bothered about the back up anymore as with the extra capacity of the batteries now, I would hope I won't go flat when I leave it.
We put the sounder back again though (disconnected) so we had somewhere to put the SB-50 circuit breaker onto.

We didn't get round to connecting the rear 12v sockets as it was getting time to start sorting the kids out for bed & as I hadn't been at home for a week (arriving 1.20am Sunday morning) thought SWMBO was getting a little restless & wanted some adult conversation Smile

I might have a go at the rear sockets at the weekend, otherwise we're planning & I'm sure we'll get time at Billing in a couple of weeks.

Most of the parts are designed to be easily removed & LR had even thought about the extra cabling from Starter to Aux battery, by having a small cutout of foam to lay the cable at each side Thumbs Up

As for the earth nut, I just about managed to squeeze my hand in there & had a little magnetic retriever for stopping it from falling. The spanner had just about enough movement to crack it open & then when it came to tighening it up again, I pulled a bit of the rubber trim off the corner of the engine bay/bonnet join & that gave the little extra that was needed.

Only two plasters required, one covering two small cuts from an open blade (self stupidity) and the other with a particularly painful finger knuckle scrape that most series or Mini owners would be familiar with Smile

All in all, quite a succesful afternoon.

For any others wanting to do it, start in the morning & you should have no problem Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Cheers Rob for your assistance & battery courier services Smile Thumbs Up

TallPaul, cable run down the car is pretty straight forward under the plastic trim next to the door, is a channel that twin 8BS fits in nicely. In through the grommet in teh bulkhead & under the trim in the back & out of the grommet at the tailgate (if you need to go out) There's loads of space in the jack storage area for fuses etc. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #31582130th Jun 2008 3:59 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
Re: Fitting of kit

Bodsy wrote:

TallPaul, cable run down the car is pretty straight forward under the plastic trim next to the door, is a channel that twin 8BS fits in nicely. In through the grommet in teh bulkhead & under the trim in the back & out of the grommet at the tailgate (if you need to go out) There's loads of space in the jack storage area for fuses etc. Thumbs Up

Cool. Wanted to get ours done this weekend, but other things got in the way. Its a shame that bulkhead grommit, assuming we are talking about the same one, has a hydraulic pipe in it on a manual, DOH. Have to have a good look for spare.

I can't decide if I am going to run some smaller 10-16mm^2 or so cable down the car, or some monster 25mm^2 and be done with it, and put fusebox and anderson in the rear.

Having already ordered and received 35mm^2 for split charge relay and a selection of cable I think I need to let my wallet recover before I tackle the next bit Wink
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #31586030th Jun 2008 6:02 pm
kevin-t

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
FITTING

Hi Guys,

Just got all my bits and peices,

Thanks to Bodsy for all the hard work, Thumbs Up

Thanks also to all involved in the distibution.

On the notes of fitting,on a scale of 1-10 How would the fitting rate???

Regards.

KEVIN-T.......................................

Post #3196018th Jul 2008 7:45 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

I think it's a 4. In reality it's not very difficult (others may have different opinions) For Manuals though, you need to route the cable in a different place. I've let Drivesafe know & he's going to check on the best route for it.

It does take most of the day to do it (carefully). We weren't in a rush and as long as you read the instructions beforehand and follow them, it's just time really and the balls to take panels off that you may have thought were there for good!

It requires only a few tools and a bit of common sense. and for some panels, just a little more strength than you thought!

If you get any issues when you come to do it, give me a call on my mobile Kev Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #3196858th Jul 2008 10:22 pm
gilmore

England 

Has Tintenter got his battery yet? or is it still round at Andrew A's?
regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #3197488th Jul 2008 10:55 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Not sure, I think he's on holiday for a month now, so I can only assume he's got it. He was going to fit it on one of those free sunny( Rolling Eyes ) days he'll have....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #3198189th Jul 2008 8:52 am
gilmore

England 

I checked with Andrew A. He says that tintenter's got his battery. Thumbs Up

Pegleg picked up his and MW's battery from me last week, so I think that about wraps it up.

I declare the Courier Network delivery completed. Bow down

All that remains to do is finish off the sockets in the loadbay.
regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #3201539th Jul 2008 10:41 pm
RichieP

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

not quite I Have Bornslippys battery, bracket and Traxide, I think hes a bit busy at the mo though.
 Richard......

2006 HSE Lugano Teal - with screens a DVD....PS2.... Freeview, and MANTEC plate!
2007 XS Commercial Java Black - with leather, Aux Battery and MANTEC plate 

Post #32051410th Jul 2008 6:44 pm
gilmore

England 

Whistle Whistle Whistle

Well. Nearly there.

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #32056110th Jul 2008 8:46 pm
MW

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Great kit - brilliant instructions and i never broke anything.
Wish the same could be said for the two timers i have destroyed for the FBH and still not managed to solder the leads on the back.

thanks for all your help to all those involved.

Cheers
MW
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post #32176714th Jul 2008 5:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 13 of 17 <123 ... 121314 151617>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >