Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Fault code reader experiences?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Dont_tell_him_Pike

England 

Now that's a question with some depth.

If i didn't know any better i'd say that someone wants to raise a gauntlet.

Now, i assume this question isn't raised through ignorance so therefore it needs to be responded to with scruple & diffidence.

I've have posts about this in vast detail on the ODB forums. I would attept to enlighten the suspicious minds that are lingering around but when a gauntlett has been raised i'd need a fanfare to match a challenge.

Post #43606510th Mar 2009 9:13 am
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

@ DG,

As far as the 'cheap thing' goes, I have no idea. How can I tell?
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #43606910th Mar 2009 9:24 am
Dont_tell_him_Pike

England 

By the price Wink

Post #43616410th Mar 2009 1:23 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Dont_tell_him_Pike wrote:
Now that's a question with some depth.

If i didn't know any better i'd say that someone wants to raise a gauntlet.

Now, i assume this question isn't raised through ignorance so therefore it needs to be responded to with scruple & diffidence.

I've have posts about this in vast detail on the ODB forums. I would attept to enlighten the suspicious minds that are lingering around but when a gauntlett has been raised i'd need a fanfare to match a challenge.

Rolling with laughter Do you guys come from another planet Confused I might not be a bright spark or able to write essays that tell you everything except what these things do Wink ...but I can read GTR and my quite legitimate question arises from that. Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #43618310th Mar 2009 2:09 pm
Dont_tell_him_Pike

England 

DG

You're an absolute geezer.

I'd willingly answer any question you have, but i dont think you'll have the room to absorb the answers as you're to busy extracting the urine from the posts. Your little bag must be quite full & that must be quite a weight your carry especially with the added weight of your sarcasm Mr. Green

I've always been led to believe that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

However, i couldn't help noticing that you mentioned hot air & substance in an earlier post, not to mention that you dont profess to be a bright spark, or indeeed, no ability to write essays.

But you certainly have managed an average of 12 posts a day since you become a member.

Now, would you be kind enough to explain the substance piece again? Rolling with laughter

Post #43624510th Mar 2009 4:13 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Hot air .....tick

Essays .....tick

Inability to tell the layman what this thing does ....tick

Inability to answer legitimate questions ....tick

I think I'm doing rather well so far Mr. Green Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #43627510th Mar 2009 5:47 pm
Dont_tell_him_Pike

England 

Top marks for effort.

Hot air....... Terrible if you have bad breath.

Essays....... No way, shows up your spelling.

Inability to tell the layman what this thing does...... Never educate an idiot.

Inability to answer legitimate questions....... Never compromise one's self

I think i'm doing rather well so far.... Always blow your own trumpet, no one else will blow it for you.

DG, My opinion of you has just risen ten fold! Thumbs Up

Post #43632610th Mar 2009 7:24 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

and the answer to DG's question is? Confused
 The End  
Post #43633510th Mar 2009 7:45 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Bushwanderer wrote:
An incisive question DG. Thumbs Up

Roel wrote:
What's the difference? I know that 5 bits is a shorter number than 7 bits but is it not a case that it reads the fault or not?

Sorry chaps, no answers I'm afraid.... we're just uneducated idiots apparently Wink

I won't ask anymore questions Mr Pike ....promise Thumbs Up
Post #43633610th Mar 2009 7:46 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Jeez, how many brothers does Svengali have? Rolling Eyes too much smoke and too many mirrors in this thread Thud
reading the DTC's is just the beginning, interpreting the results with appropriate secondary checks & tests makes the difference between a monkey able to push the right buttons and a diagnostic technician
7 bit DTC's pinpoint the area of the logged error or fault more closely in some circumstances but in general 5 bit DTC's will indicate the general area of the problem allowing for further investigation although 7 bit DTC's can save diagnostic time by being more specific. The one thing that needs to be taken into account is a 'global' overview of all DTC's on the vehicle to identify the root cause of cascade faults, in this respect, a one module fault code reader is useless, they generally only read the ECM and only return the DTC without any indicative text, slightly better (but not much) are 'hit & miss' DTC readers, these interrogate some, but not all modules and return a mixture of DTC's and occasionally descriptive text. Further up the scale is the sort of kit I use - not cheap but fully featured and works 'off the shelf', providing full text DTC's with reference numbers, global time reference and status of 'permanent', 'pending', 'intermittent' or 'historic' for each DTC logged - oh, and it works on all current LR's and some previous models Wink

Post #43639710th Mar 2009 9:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Isn't it that way that the D3 send the codes in 7 or 5 bits and the reader just reads it. Or does the reader tell the D3 how to send the codes?
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #43640610th Mar 2009 9:42 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

DTC's are stored in the various modules as 7 bit, it's down to the DTC readers ability as to how much of each DTC it can interpret and from which module(s)

if you want the ability to do something right first time, do it once, if you do it cheap you do it at least twice
Autologic do have ex-demo units available from time-to-time, contact Andrew Bettersley at http://www.autologic-diagnos.co.uk/contact.htm for a grown-up and proven diagnostic solution - no connection other than a very happy customer Thumbs Up

Post #43641210th Mar 2009 9:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dont_tell_him_Pike

England 

10forCash,

You're spoiling the fun.

But i couldn't be described better.

The 5 bit DTC's are usaully all the cheap generic codes readers can pull & read, & any good engineer worth his weight could possible guess the area of concern.

Working with the 7 bit systems are more accurate & after interogation coupled with a little knowledge, the problem can usaully be hit on the head, especially when you can bring in the live data.

I'm very familier with the Autologic. Great piece of kit & you can get the job done, but now it just sits in my briefcase with my IDS system, although the Autologic comes out as a second system when needed as it beats setting up the T4 which is destined for ebay.

My company used to deal with Autologic but i refuse blankly to pay for updates on the modules already purchased so my autologic isn't up to date, saying that, it does most LR up to 2005, I have more advanced stuff for the latest as i need to interogate the data stream buses at binary level to catch those one off glitches & to reprogram reman ecu's that we also produce.

I need to update a dozen systems in the next few months to 2009 with the latest canbus, & the last time i spoke to a member at autologic the modules were not complete, & if i purchased them i'd need to pay again to update to the full.

Do they still operate this way?

Post #43651011th Mar 2009 12:10 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Ah ..a legitimate answer that coincides with the GTR info at last Wink

thanks TFC Thumbs Up honest answers like that will assist site users in making their own judgements as to who to trust Thumbs Up
Post #43652111th Mar 2009 12:42 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi TFC,
Thanks for your concise & informative posts. Bow down Bow down Bow down

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #43652811th Mar 2009 1:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Jump to: