DISCO4.COM > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback

Dealer knowledge.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Dealer knowledge.

Am I expecting too much?

I've now visited 3 different LR Main Dealers on the South coast looking for a used D3.
Firstly I've noticed that most of the cars they have on Autotrader are either "off site at the moment", "sold yesterday/this morning", "The MD is using it as it's so nice" or "We've lent it to another dealer".

I've asked the salesman the same question at 2 of them - whats the Torque figure for the V6 TD?
Neither of the salesmen knew the answer.
I've already knew the answer of course, but was using the question to sort the cup holder salesmen from the ones that knew what a D3 is really for.
When are the expensive services due? was met with an equally blank face.

As for the 3rd dealer, I'd already had to ask the receptionist if I could talk to a salesman, even though it was Friday afternoon and the showroom was empty apart from me and her.
When she eventually found somebody and sent him out to talk to me he walked straight past me whilst asking me to "hang on a minute".
I waited 5 minutes and walked out the door, they obviously don't want my £25K - £28K.

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #43846815th Mar 2009 10:27 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Nasher,

you cant beleive some dealers Rolling Eyes

Try further a field. Use you local dealers to get some test drives then ring around.

Try Nick AKA "The Large One" at Yeovil (site sponsors) and if you are after pre-owned, you could give a chap call Adrian a call at MJFews North Bristol. They have ALLWAYS been excellant with me.

Hope you get one sorted soon Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #43847015th Mar 2009 10:33 am
Big Vic

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nasher,

Try visiting a Stealership wearing a scruffy pair of jeans a tee shirt and see what the sales service is like, then go back wearing an expensive suit and see the difference. If youre not smartly dressed, they don't think you can afford a Land Rover - such Censored holes
 Women are like swimming pools, very expensive for the amount of time you spend in them!  
Post #43848715th Mar 2009 11:35 am
big fella

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Nasher,

Just had similar experiences. Started looking for a vehicle at the start of February. On contacting dealers country wide I was told vehicles had JUST been sold or had been purchased with a customer already lined up. Even a couple of vehicles on the official land rover site had been sold 2 / 3 weeks earlier. There also appeared to be no structure to the pricing, GS costing more than XS etc.

A person allegedly in the know, at land rover, explained that L.R. had over produced in the light of the economic climate, as such all L.R. company vehicles had been replaced with the excess vehicles. The original company vehicles were sold of at Christmas in closed L.R. sales (dealers only). This led to excessive vehicles on the market at reduced prices explains the price structure's. As the vehicles were bought in and sold quickly this left a void in the second hand market, where people were deciding to keep their vehicles for an extra year,etc, and see where the economy went. As a result dealers remained advertising vehicles that were actually sold in an attempt to retain second hand product interest, even though they had no stock.

Don't know if the above is all true but makes sense and would explain our experience. Anyway eventually managed to source a vehicle, pick it up tomorrow. So just keep looking!

Big Fella
 If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, it's because you're a bad gardener.

learn from the mistakes of others, you may not live long enough to make them all yourself. 

Post #43849515th Mar 2009 11:52 am
Zermatt Vulgaris

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

They seem to come through in batches there were lots of SEs around about 6-8 weeks ago on 57 plates when i bought now very few there seem to be more XS and HSEs about. I would spread your net to the whole country as has already been suggested. the last two Landies I've bought have come from Lakeland and Farnell's and we live in aberdeenshire. Basically phoned the entire country up. I'd give both these guy's a call and have a chat. if you want names of the salemen i've used send me a PM.

what i got told at the time was the batch that came through in end of Jan would be the last at that kind of money...thought it was the usual patter....but looks like it was good advice.looks like prices are rising our local dealership want 27k for a 57 SE with 8 K on the clock which was la la land two months ago....probably still is.

for the money you are talking about you should get a nice HSE easily.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2011MY Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport HSE 3.0 TDV6

Post #43850415th Mar 2009 12:48 pm
blue_manc

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I agree with the sentiment of shifting the goalposts - just started looking and no real sense around where the market is, is going or what prices make sense at the minute - I am a very confused convert to the search for a decent Disco.

Post #43884116th Mar 2009 1:04 am
Lookers Park Royal

United Kingdom 

Nasher,

It's fair to say that there is very little stock at the moment (especially D3), for a number of different reasons which have all come about that the same time. I have 4 due from Land Rover within the next 30 days, and a couple of 09my HSE's that are on site at the moment. The HSE's are a little over the budget you mention.

If you would like to PM me with your requirements then I will certainly let you know as soon as something becomes available.

James Thumbs Up

Post #43912316th Mar 2009 4:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks James

Are all the cars you have advertised actually on site at your premises?

Nasher
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #43919116th Mar 2009 6:13 pm
Lookers Park Royal

United Kingdom 

Nasher,

Sadly not, as I'm waiting for 3 HSE's and an SE from Land Rover. We do have a black 58 plate 09my HSE and a silver 09 plate 08.5my on site, however the 08.5 is not advertised yet.

I appreciate that we don't have anything suitable at the moment, but we're buying 10 used cars a week at the moment so may hopefully get something that fits the bill. If you PM me your wish-list then I can let you know as soon as we agree to purchase something.

Could be as long as a piece of string, however we may get offered something tomorrow.... difficult to say.

Happy to help, and understand that it is fustrating trying to track down the right car at the moment.

James Thumbs Up

PS We are finding it so hard to replace our stock that I have an advert in the Telegraph weekend motoring supliment to help!

Post #43919716th Mar 2009 6:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >