Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

IBS Dual Battery System
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
IBS Dual Battery System

Has anyone fitted one of these to their Disco, and if so does it work ok with the reported higher charging voltages in a Disco over the normal 14.4v you would expect in a car?

(EDIT: Just to clarify, its simply a charge controller/isolator unit, I am aware of the drivesafe/traxide product, and also the option to use a simple relay, I am just after info on this specific unit. Search function says no one has one?)
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #30139221st May 2008 11:21 am
britindus

New Zealand 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Re: IBS Dual Battery System

Unnecessary quote removed

would also be interested - in the same market!!

Post #30142921st May 2008 12:40 pm
GDL

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have had one fitted for about a year no problems ,got it for camping as i had LR assist out for flat battery (very efficient service but embarrassing as i was keeping the wine and beer cool while doing the barbie)and we were going to a site with no electric hook-up . i have had to use the manual link button twice due to flattening the main battery , one been last saturday listening to the radio whilst swapping wheels ,got carried away and had the radio on quite loud for about 3 hours Embarassed any questions please ask

Post #30156821st May 2008 6:17 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

GDL, thanks for the reply, thats good news!

My motives are the same as yours, only without the radio or camping incident, but this may be just because we only had the Disco for 3 weeks Wink and not been camping yet Whistle

Flexibility of the link option, and the fact its a dumb relay with a smart controller is one of the thing that attracted me, although not the price Sad

Questions:
1. Where did you fit the relay - next to aux bat?
2. Where did you fit the display/control unit?
3. Where did you bring the wires through the bulkhead?
4. On the charging scale bottom left of panel, does it show 14.5v RED all the time with higher D3 charge voltage?
5. Where did you buy yours from?

Thanks for any answers Very Happy
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #30160421st May 2008 8:11 pm
GDL

Hi whatgoeshere , I have taken some quick pictures ,they will be in my gallery shortly
1.yes in the aux battery box
2.left of the steering column
3.there is a grommet in the aux battery box to the right of the servo, tried to photo it mine also has the webasto wires through there
4.This turned out to be really useful it can show red initially on start up but if the battery is well charged will drop to the lowest LED . In winter after a week of short journeys this showed me that even with a 25mile motorway cruise how little the battery would recover if you use heated seats, lights, loud stereo etc ,etc .
5.TBRUK they had an offer on, can't find the receipt but £120 seems familiar

This was fitted 6 hours before we were leaving for a campsite with no electric on the Isle of Mull,I chose this because a freind had the unit and i fitted it then replaced his .I did speak with TBRUK before fitting and they said D3's have been fitted with the system,and no problem

Post #30162121st May 2008 8:54 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

GDL, Really appreciate the answers Thumbs Up

Even more appreciate the pics if you took some Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

TBRUK have them for £135 at the moment, so close to your memory of the price. Its seems to be just them and Venture Overland that do them in the UK. IBS seem to have a new model out now, seems almost the same but will sense charge on the Aux side, say for example you hook up a solar panel while camping, and once aux is full will "link" to charge primary battery as well. Original model only linked when charge was available on primary battery side.

I contacted both TBRUK and Venture Overland and neither have the new one in stock, venture overland are excellent by the way got an email back very quickly, TBRUK did not reply, had to call them earlier to ask. VO are more expensive though, so I guess you pay for service! (the guy there has been really helpful so will probably buy from them in the end).

I like the point you made on question 4 about knowing how hard the alternator is working, that does sound useful.

Think I am sold on the system, just need to find out if I can get the newer model ideally, or a good price on the now "old" model, not that it has much functional difference it seems.

Paul
Post #30164721st May 2008 9:52 pm
GDL

Pics in my gallery Thumbs Up

Post #30197022nd May 2008 2:40 pm
AXL022

Belgium 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Fitted on my car since 2 months.

No problem in non intensive mode. But when you're on holliday and you drive a lot everyday, the D3 doesn't produce 14V, at sometimes it's only 12,5 or 12 (i see it by using the main computer with the code 753).
And when poor voltage is produce the ibs is disturbing, so you have to connect manually BUT the connection doesn't go ??? or otherwise the ibs refuse the connecting. In fact during 15 days of my trip (30 days) each day another kind of failure. Very strange.
But now i'm back and i don't drive all day long, everything is going back to normal.
For me the IBS is ok but the LR management of the electricity is very strange.

PS : the fridge between the front seat doesn't like poor voltage either. Some day NO fridge because the engine produce only 12V, and i feld i've lost 10% horsepower.

Post #30212022nd May 2008 8:34 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Good to see you back Axl, Are you going to do a write up of your expedition? Hope it was a good trip Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #30213522nd May 2008 9:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

GDL wrote:
Pics in my gallery Thumbs Up

Great thanks, I took a look last night, that grommit seems to be in convenient place Thumbs Up
Post #30218922nd May 2008 10:50 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Hey GDL, hit a small (big) snag!

This grommet in the bulkhead to the right of the servo:

Has some sort of hose from the hydraulic reservoir through it on my MY07 HSE Shocked

Looks like I will have to find a new route... can't see any other spare grommets either, doh.
Post #30422129th May 2008 5:52 pm
GDL

Its a bit dark so Just had aquick feel around mine and on the left of the servo unit found a servo pipe going through the bulkhead but on the other side about 5'' above were the steering column comes through the bulkhead is the grommet .Has yours got 2 pipes or has my pic been a bit misleading?

Post #30431129th May 2008 9:32 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

GDL wrote:
Its a bit dark so Just had aquick feel around mine and on the left of the servo unit found a servo pipe going through the bulkhead but on the other side about 5'' above were the steering column comes through the bulkhead is the grommet .Has yours got 2 pipes or has my pic been a bit misleading?

Ah.

Is your pic rotated at all?

To the right above the steering column I have the pipe form hydraulic reservoir.

To the left there is a grommet in about the same place... but it has wiring loom already in it. I will take a pic tomorrow of what I mean, lets hope I mis-understood your pic Wink
Post #30432429th May 2008 10:07 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

GDL and AXL022 thanks for you recommendation my IBS BM3 arrived today. The IBS site has a new microprocessor controlled version on it, but its not available yet, apparently its still in testing, so I gave that a miss.

Small box for big money! Still small space to mount controller.

GDL thanks for your pointers, weather and wife taking the car out has prevented me having a look but I will get my head under the bonnet again soon to look for that grommit in case I missed it.

Battery still in the D3 courier network so no fitting just yet!

Paul
Post #30857510th Jun 2008 1:56 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

TallPaul wrote:
Has some sort of hose from the hydraulic reservoir through it on my MY07 HSE
Low pressure side for the clutch, all manuals have it The End  
Post #30862910th Jun 2008 5:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >