DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Date included fault codes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Dougal

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Date included fault codes?

Hi there,

I'm currently having a "dsicussion" with my dealer regarding the timing of a suspension fault and whether it is / is not covered by warranty. I contacted the dealer about a fault while the car was in warranty, but due to timing on both their and my part the warranty expired before the car was checked by the garage. Their stance is that the fault was not identified (by them) within the warranty period and is therefore chargeable... Rolling Eyes

Does anyone know if the fault codes identify the date of the first fault or subsequent errors?

Cheers

Post #4642348th May 2009 9:17 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I would think if you notified the dealer of the fault before warranty expied then the vehicle faulted whilst still in warranty.
I also think LR have a grace period where the dealer can still try to claim. I don't think your dealer is being helpful and I don't fancy his chances of getting anymore of your business now. Evil or Very Mad
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4642468th May 2009 9:42 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Did they give you or can you ask for a printout of the job on their system, it might give you some evidence of the date it was booked in to be checked over which would sterngthen your hand in discussions with them and LRCC Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #4642478th May 2009 9:44 am
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I think this is Censored , if you told him within the waranty period and asuming it is not months later now they should call it under waranty.
I am not sure if all fault codes have a date annd also not if the same faultcode comes up it the date is overwritten.

Any faultmate owner might know, I might know very soon too as mine will come today I hope.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #4642528th May 2009 9:53 am
Dougal

Yeh, been through those agruments but their claim is that the fault was not verified until they had conducted their investigations / diagnosis. I can see their point but I'd love to go back with hard evidence to show that the fault was in existence during the warranty period.

Post #4642568th May 2009 9:59 am
Heyloft

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

How long ago did your warranty run out?
When did you take the car to the dealer?
 Wot's that in Old Money

Fuji White D4 HSE-LUX
rear entertainment
TV
TPMS
Park Heater
Centre Console cooler box 

Post #4642738th May 2009 10:46 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

On the IDS system, there is an A-Z of fault codes, that tells you how many days and miles ago the fault occured, since the last fault code clear Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #4642918th May 2009 11:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Are they denying that you did this: "I contacted the dealer about a fault while the car was in warranty"?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4643048th May 2009 11:53 am
SJR

Disco_Mikey wrote:
On the IDS system, there is an A-Z of fault codes, that tells you how many days and miles ago the fault occured, since the last fault code clear Thumbs Up

Mikey

If the dealer cleared the fault codes when it went in presumably that would compromise the ability to use this information as evidence as it wouldn't exist at the times required.

Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #4643078th May 2009 11:57 am
Dougal

Cool, where can I get my hands on an IDS thingy and how much will cost me? Twisted Evil

Post #4643118th May 2009 12:03 pm
Dougal

SJR wrote:

Mikey

If the dealer cleared the fault codes when it went in presumably that would compromise the ability to use this information as evidence as it wouldn't exist at the times required.

Thumbs Up

Sorry, just noticed your note SJR...I guess the chances are the faults have been cleared Evil or Very Mad

Post #4643158th May 2009 12:07 pm
SJR

Dougal wrote:
Cool, where can I get my hands on an IDS thingy and how much will cost me? Twisted Evil

Dealer software not even sure if available to general public, either way it probably costs nearly as much as your D3 Sad Sad Sad
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #4643208th May 2009 12:11 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

SJR wrote:
If the dealer cleared the fault codes when it went in presumably that would compromise the ability to use this information as evidence as it wouldn't exist at the times required Thumbs Up

The OP never said fault codes were cleared Confused

SJR wrote:
Dealer software not even sure if available to general public, either way it probably costs nearly as much as your D3 Sad Sad Sad

If you know where to look, about £1500, probably less Whistle

Anyway, back on topic!

If you are JUST out of warranty, a few weeks, possibly even a few months, you should get part, if not all of the cost of repair covered as a goodwill gesture. Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #4643248th May 2009 12:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The Stored Time value that comes along with a fault is also provided by our FAULTMATE MSV-2 system.
However most often, the stored time value calculated against the current time value to give a period of time that the fault occurred is just plain wrong. I have faults that i know 10000% have just been in a few days, i put em there, yet their stored time calculates to years ago.
if you watch the video you will see such values for yourself.
http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/download...E_DIII.wmv

It's something in the Car software though as the IDS comes up with exactly the same value and i have seen such errors on other equipment too.

When deleted, thats it, no more fault or data stored that is accessible by any equipment i know of. Thumbs Up

Post #4643298th May 2009 12:24 pm
Dougal

Thanks for the advice guys.

Managed to get the garage to back down on Friday and accept that the fault was present during the warranty period. I did mention the forum and the advice provided (including the various tools) - not sure if it was a deciding factor but they did change their minds Thumbs Up

Post #46545711th May 2009 8:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >