Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Land Rover - A pile of $**te
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

WD might not like paying up but they do. Always received more back than paid out in premiums. Just surprised they still cover these veeeeeeehickles. Whistle

Re the bears, well that's a suprise!! Shocked Shocked Laughing

Post #11283128th Jul 2013 10:46 am
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Wow, VERY quick respinse from Warranty Direct, they don't mess about Thumbs Up

So, when you get an email from your main dealer telling you that your suspension needs replaced (not maybe or we advise) and you rely on your super dooper warranty that you took out because you thought you were a smart @rse having seen horror stories on here, well just chill out as they will get a letter to you very quickly, here's mine, not read it yet in the excitement of posting it on here but looking forward to now being safe with my new suspension replacing the parts that I was informed 'NEED' replaced Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Post #11283138th Jul 2013 10:49 am
Discotres

crews control wrote:
So we've learnt that a 5 year old, 2.7 ton vehicle does suffer wear, can go a bit rusty, and Warranty Direct don't like to pay up…. next week we'll be investigating if bears crap in the woods!
Laughing

Rolling with laughter

Well I have just replaced ALL of the suspension on the 110 including anti roll bars (yes bars as well as they had some rust on Wink ) so getting to know vehicles, I thought using genuine LR parts was the best way to go but utterly regretting that, in fact utterly regretting buying the Censored ing 110, it has soaked up my life over the last few weeks and brought me VERY close to a divorce Shocked I have got a wheel stretcher thing mechanics use to slide under a vehicle, I have been replacing every nut bolt and screw with Stainless (subject to load rating), I had a problem with a seat base bolt and nut so asked my wife to slide under and hold a nut while I ratcheted from inside the vehicle, I put her on the bed thing, slid her under with a torch (it was 11pm) and told her what to hold while I wiggled above to identify it, tightened it up and job done Thumbs Up I then realised thee was a fiddly bit to get waxoyl on so asked if she could just spray some in that area, she agreed, oil was nice and warm so passed her the lance, next thing she is screaming as hot (well quite warm) oil had dribbled all over her and in her eyes Shocked Didn't know what to do except pull her out, but the more I pulled the harder she screamed, her hair was trapped in the wheels of the stretcher thing Shocked I couldn't see and was groping around, felt trapped hair but she was right in the middle, only option apart from the fire brigade to lift off the vehicle was to get scissors, anyway a minute or so later she was free and I had handfuls of hair, she was distraught and looked a right mess, oil and hair everywhere, had to get gunk to clean the driveway Shocked we are still not speaking even though I made a barbers appointment for her to get her hair sorted. Things are a little tense especially with what is going on and another £1,500 bill just in this morning for the 110 Rolling Eyes

I put her mind at rest and told her it will grow Thumbs Up But she refuses to help on the 110 now so I have ended up screwing myself every night Big Cry

Post #11283168th Jul 2013 11:05 am
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #11283208th Jul 2013 11:16 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Dave, did you have to do that!! I now need to read the post above yours. Big Cry Big Cry

Post #11283238th Jul 2013 11:25 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If you're replacing an anti roll bar for surface rust you must have more money than sense so I can't see why you're complaining about a broken wire in the PDC loom Rolling Eyes
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #11283288th Jul 2013 11:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discotres

The PDC loom is on the Disco and covered under an extensive warranty, the fact that corrosion is involved invalidates that warranty hence my point 'unfit for purpose'. These vehicles are renowned and advertised as 'go anywhere' but they are misleading people into thinking they are buying a premium brand, NO loom should fail after 5 years, it is in a vulnerable place and should be built to withstand those conditions, it is outrageous!

As for the 100, well that is all YOUR fault, you made me feel guilty even thinking about taking it off road, it was at the point of run into the ground as a 1 owner low mileage vehicle or save to museum spec, after listening to people on here I have gone for museum spec, the vehicle has and is still undergoing the most comprehensive refurb, this includes for example the rubbers for the fixed glass in the 110 side windows at £40 each, the felt insert on the other sliding window and £30 plus each, all doors replaced at £560 each plus painting with all new fixings for the door cards, complete roof removal and re sealing whilst replacing windscreen rubbers and roof bolts to stainless, new suspension all round, ALL bushes replaced under the vehicle, all new lights, tow bar, special colour co-ordinated new wheels and tyres, door seals / rubbers all original parts. There will be NO SIGN of any rust on the vehicle, if it has a spot of rust on it has been replaced such as the rear step shown below Thumbs Up This has been an open cheque book restore purely because of my love of the vehicle, but that love is being strained by Censored LR parts Evil or Very Mad All the LR parts I have bought for the 110 have had a huge premium on them compared to replacement, so I hope they perform as they should. I am keeping the vehicle and want to do my bit for motor history, it is a rare vehicle being the original V8 with only 17 shown left in the country at http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/land_...unty_sw_v8 Wink

Then:

Click image to enlarge

Now:
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Old Worklight:
Click image to enlarge

New:
Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Discotres on 8th Jul 2013 12:29 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #11283508th Jul 2013 12:19 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Martin wrote:
If you're replacing an anti roll bar for surface rust you must have more money than sense so I can't see why you're complaining about a broken wire in the PDC loom Rolling Eyes

He's retired, nothing better to do. Whistle Whistle

Ducking for cover. Laughing

Post #11283518th Jul 2013 12:19 pm
Discotres

Just keeping myself busy otherwise I could just rot and die like a Land Rover Laughing

Anyway, I want to make it clear I am not having a go at Warranty Direct as they can only go on what they are told, they have a business to run, although if I was them and saw that a customer had an extended warranty with them for a few years I may get the work done now as it could cause further issues later on, but that is their decision, as soon as it fails they will replace it, but may need to examine the failed part 'on site' at the scene of the accident Whistle

As for the main dealer, I trust them and they have always been very fair and efficient hence my loyalty to them for servicing and MOT's, I am even booked in already for my service this December, they have given us a brand new Freelander 2 courtesy car with only a few miles on the clock so one couldn't ask for more, just need to get these issues sorted out that stem from quality control at Land Rover Evil or Very Mad

Post #11284618th Jul 2013 3:36 pm
johnnychainsaw

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think you've made yourself loud and clear. Thumbs Up

Post #11284658th Jul 2013 3:41 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

DT if you're that paranoid about rust you've bought the wrong cars in the wrong part of the world. They (well Deafners anyway) are designed to rust straight from the factory, helps hold it together. You'll go bankrupt trying to keep it at bay. Whistle

Post #11284708th Jul 2013 3:49 pm
Discotres

Not paranoid, but with a young family want to be safe. Anyway Warranty Direct have refused the suspension claim as they feel it hasn't yet failed, when I asked them how would I know when it had totally failed they told me to listen to the suspension noises and as it gets worse make a judgement when enough is enough, so I have to drive around in a car with 'dodgy' suspension on motorways waiting for it to totally fail, UTTER Censored ING MADNESS!!!!!

SO if you are buying a warranty with Warranty Direct it seems you have to do 'self assessment of your mechanical problem on top of a professional one and wait for TOTAL FAILURE before they will act, not very good in my eyes as my warranty includes wear and tear. A formal complaint has been lodged to have the issue re examined, I can't be driving around in a vehicle that a Land Rover technician has told me to replace parts of the suspension on, what if the TOTAL FAILURE happened abroad and ruined your holidays, never mind the stress of always waiting for it, SO BE WARNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be requesting a copy of the recording of my conversation with Warranty Direct when being told to drive in the dodgy condition it is and listen for total failure, that is going to be classic on YouTube!

I'm sure my experience will bring in loads of new business for them like the recordings I had to listen to while waiting for an operator when I called Warranty Direct of happy customers talking about the stress of huge bills being taken away when they signed up, maybe they could play my recording Wink

I have left it with Land Rover the Main Dealer and Warranty Direct to sort it out and report back to me with an outcome, if anyone wants updated on this I will do so otherwise I have nothing more to add.

Post #11285488th Jul 2013 5:59 pm
welshsurferdude

United Kingdom 

Mines a 05 hse done 160k and been absolutely fine touch wood! Perhaps they need regular use

Post #11286588th Jul 2013 9:44 pm
Discotres

I don't see what regular use has to do with the wiring loom corrosion and as for the suspension you would think low mileage would mean less wear. I do know that with any vehicle it is best to use them, leaving them lying causes all sorts of problems with seals and other such stuff. We use it every weekend to go 80 miles to our boat and 80 miles back, so does get some use, plus a bit of pottering about.

Post #11286778th Jul 2013 10:11 pm
johnnychainsaw

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I thought you said you had nothing more to add Yawn

Post #11286868th Jul 2013 10:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >