Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Turning FBH on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 17 <123 ... 151617>
Gerald in Sweden

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It was +3C here this morning. The D3(2006) started fine without any help! After 6-8 minutes run time the FBH had not started. As soon as I turned on the cabin heating The FBH started. So, the FBH does not start automatically to help the engine warm up. Why not?
It is not a problem as I use a remote control to start the FBH as a park heater. Used as such, the car stated in -15C before Xmas (the glow plugs don't work, after 300,000 kms!)
I don't understand why the Fbh is there to help warm up the engine, but it doesn't come on automatically.

Post #232298316th Jan 2023 7:06 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Because it's controlled by the climate control module, if it's 'off' as in, you pressed the 'off' button, it will not activate the FBH. A quirk of the software? possibly, but that's the way it is. It has the same effect upon the front seat heaters.

Post #232298416th Jan 2023 7:10 pm
Gerald in Sweden

I wish I had front seat heaters!

Post #232298516th Jan 2023 7:12 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Pete K wrote:
Motolab wrote:
The AUXILLARY function is always the dominant function.. so if used as a PARKINGHEATER with a clock or remote, it will shutdown when the engine is started and will come up again when needed as a AUXILLARY heater…

Some people say if the heater is in parking heater mode, and you start the engine below 5C the heater will not come up in auxillary mode and logs a fault code. I think I may have seen it once.

Any comments on this ?

Mine (parkingheater) shuts down when i open a door. (car wakes up) if i have activated the parkingheater function with my Altox app earlyer as soon as i start the engine the auxillary heater starts up again (when below 6 deg, celcius(can be 5 Cool ) So i never experienced this phenomenon myself..

As with all other webasto TT is used and installed (quite a few Laughing ) BUT there is/are always the JLR specific software/parameters…. Who can influence behaviour, but if so i can not understand why some do “this” and other’s do “that” ….
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #232302816th Jan 2023 11:48 pm
Motolab

Flatlander wrote:
Because it's controlled by the climate control module, if it's 'off' as in, you pressed the 'off' button, it will not activate the FBH. A quirk of the software? possibly, but that's the way it is. It has the same effect upon the front seat heaters.

That was my first thought also…. If the motor has climate control, it barely happens that it is in the off position, but i see that our swedisch friend, has a “base” model, perhaps without climate control?

Does the cabin heating need to switch on manually everytime? If not Why not keep that activated by default? (I do not know how the non climate control version is configured, sorry)
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #232303016th Jan 2023 11:55 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

They all have the same basic control system, the fascia is different but the underlying control messages on LIN & CAN are the same.
There is only the automatic temperature control system, features such as heated seats, rear ATC etc. are added to it, but there is no 'base' manual control system as such.

Post #232303317th Jan 2023 12:07 am
Motolab

Then do not turn it off…..
 Best regards
Harold

Post #232303417th Jan 2023 12:22 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

No off button on single zone system. (Non climate /ATC)
Fan off could equal that result.

All connectors on rear

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255900230481?mk...media=COPY

Post #232303617th Jan 2023 12:32 am
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

I don't think I've ever seen one that basic! plenty of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142853728721

I would imagine turning the fan off would do the same, on the higher line ones, turning off the fan puts the module into an 'off' state and will shut down the FBH if it's running. (as does pressing the 'off' button)

Post #232304217th Jan 2023 8:35 am
Gerald in Sweden

My facia is the same as Flatlander's. The heating system has to be turned on manually, unless left on from the day before.
If the heating is on but I turn the fan speed to "0" the FBH stays on. If I press the off button the FBH goes off.
The FBH setup is a bit strange to my mind, but I live with it. Getting the remote control to put the FBH in park heater mode is a godsend. I usually run it for 10-20 minutes, depending on outside temp., and switch it off 2-3 minutes before starting the car. I am worried about causing a system upset when I put the cabin heating after starting. Maybe I am just paranoid!!

Post #232309617th Jan 2023 5:23 pm
Realist

Wales 

All this talk about the FBH and emails received reminded me does anyone know anything about the below and how to get around it?

Realist wrote:
Update…..

Received a response from the eBay seller and I asked him why mine don’t work and what the password is.

He replied with……

“My friend... the password is at the Webasto Factory. Only with their help can we make your heater functionaly. The procedure is as follows: The current software is extracted with the help of a Webasto diagnostic device (see in my ads on ebay) and sent to Webasto. After we pay 100£, he will send us an unlocked and functional software that we must insert into the electronic unit of the heater”.

So why do I have to change the firmware and payout extra where others have just installed his device and works first time?

Why wait, just go for it and enjoy life.

Previous….
Discovery 300TDI
Range Rover Vogue
2010 Discovery 4 GS Santorini Metallic Black 

Post #232309917th Jan 2023 5:48 pm
Pete K

I think I used to leave the climate panel on the previous day, if I was expecting a cold start.
So it can do it's automatic fan speed stuff (when coolant warm). And re-start the FBH apparently

Post #232311217th Jan 2023 6:39 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Gerald in Sweden wrote:
My facia is the same as Flatlander's. The heating system has to be turned on manually, unless left on from the day before.
If the heating is on but I turn the fan speed to "0" the FBH stays on. If I press the off button the FBH goes off.
The FBH setup is a bit strange to my mind, but I live with it. Getting the remote control to put the FBH in park heater mode is a godsend. I usually run it for 10-20 minutes, depending on outside temp., and switch it off 2-3 minutes before starting the car. I am worried about causing a system upset when I put the cabin heating after starting. Maybe I am just paranoid!!

Don't worry about it - essentially what happens if you've run it as a park heater is that the ATCU wakes up, sees the FBH running (when it thinks it shouldn't be) and issues a shutdown command to the FBH. The FBH does a graceful shutdown and everything is fine. Unless - you start the engine whilst the FBH is in it's shutdown, it ignores the start command from the ATCU and you have no boost heat from the FBH. Two ways around it...
1. As you mention, shut down the FBH 2-3 mins before you unlock the car (that's the point the ATCU wakes up).
2. a couple of minutes after starting the car, press the 'off' button, wait 2-3 seconds, then turn on the ATCU again, either by another press of the 'off' button to restore to whatever non-auto settings you were using, or just pressing 'auto'. That will get the ATCU to reissue the FBH start command and everything will work as intended.

I used either of those processes as required on my D3 for 10+ years, never caused a problem with the FBH or ATCU.

Post #232311617th Jan 2023 7:17 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

This morning -2deg. Start car but no FBH.

What should I expect on the plug?
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #232314417th Jan 2023 11:29 pm
Pete K

If you are expecting an engine start to have fired it up, check climate control panel on.
Do you have remote fbh start, which is what this thread is aimed at

Post #232354121st Jan 2023 9:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 16 of 17 <123 ... 151617>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >