Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Tyre Balancing Beads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Tyre Balancing Beads

Found a local outfit who use ceramic tyre balancing beads.I gave them 4 X 17 's fitted with 265/70 MT's.I'll let you know how I get on.I'll hopefully fit them tomorrow night and give them a road run on Friday & Saturday , Muck & Shyte on Sunday and then see how they perform.

Just want to see if theres an alternative to having to get tyres balanced after every time they look at mud.

Cost for the 4 was €15 per corner.

Post #37928126th Nov 2008 2:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Is this these bags of white beads I saw in the back of LRO, its giving them a great write up saying that you never need to re-balance Shocked That would be very handy, along with the lead weights being removed to keep the Alloys from corroding.
Please publish your findings cos am keen to try too Thumbs Up

Post #37946226th Nov 2008 8:04 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

check this

http://www.counteractbalancing.com/?gclid=...HgodCTur-A
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #37946726th Nov 2008 8:09 pm
Wex

MacLeod 313 wrote:
Is this these bags of white beads I saw in the back of LRO

I believe it to be similar.As far as I know both Devon & Scorpion sell them.To date I hadn't come across anyone selling them in Ireland.I heard that this outfit , Nolan Tyres , Ballon , Co Carlow were very good.I had my 19's balanced there last week and they were the only company out of 4 I tried that balanced them perfectly , rotating the tyre to the low/high spot etc.
They do alot of Artic , 6 wheeler , 8 wheeler work so I asked them about balancing powder & beads as I believe it is common enough to use this method in preference to lead weights.I have read that the powder tends to clump but the ceramic or teflon coated steel bead does not.
One of my sets of 17's needed balancing so I decided to drop them in to them this morning.They haven't used them on a 4X4 yet so they are as interested to see the results as I am.
They did say to give them a good few hundred miles for them to find their balance point before making my mind up.
I'll post once I've done so.

Ron Thanks for that.Particularly about the bit where it talks about rotating the tyres.It says its a good idea to whack the thread of the tyre dislodging the beads thus allowing them to rebablance in their new position. Thumbs Up

Post #37950326th Nov 2008 9:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
irishrover

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

DW Could you post a picture if possible to see what these beads look like at some stage! Like macleod said, interested to see how you rate these! seem like a steal at 60 beans.. always the innovator Laughing
 07 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial (Java Black) with:

Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #37952426th Nov 2008 10:23 pm
Wex

I can't remember the brand they used so I'm afraid I haven't got a picture TBH Rover.They're tiny things about 1.5 mm - 2 mm max in diameter.Come in 12 Oz bags ISTR.
They didnt have a table figure for a 265/70/17 but did have for a 235/65/17 , so by some rough maths we decided on 6 Oz per wheel.

Compared to what some 4x4 websites are charging for them , close on 8 quid before postage ISTR then yep 15 euro is a good deal for supplied & fitted and that included FAT.I'll drop by and get a bag tomorrrow on the way up.They're only slightly off your beaten track aswell Wink

Post #37954526th Nov 2008 10:42 pm
Wex

I fitted the tyres about a day or two prior to bringing them offroad.So that was about 300-400 klms.About 100 klms to the meet.Offroad for a good few hours ( mostly stationary Laughing ) then anorther 100 klms back home.

No difference Shocked Pedrhaps I didnt give them long enough to settle out.

Sorry not much of a report but I'll try them again. Rolling Eyes

Post #3856459th Dec 2008 10:21 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I used something similar in the front tyres off my camel with 235-85-16 BFG MT KA. I drove 40.000 km with it and I love it. No vibrations in the steering wheel at all only if there was a lot of mud inside the rim.
I have to say that I had tubes in the tyres and didn't have any problems.
I have not used it yet without tubes and am not sure what to do yet with my 19" MTR's as I had 3 flat front tyres on one day by sand getting between the tyre and the rim. I have to sort that problem first before I change from lead to powder. But I am definitely thinking to go to powder in my offroad set of tyres. And if my Wrangler HP needs balancing I'm going to powder too.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #38584510th Dec 2008 10:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >