Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tyre dilemma - 32" (275/65-18) Mickey Thompson ATZ or M
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Tyre dilemma - 32" (275/65-18) Mickey Thompson ATZ or M

So, not many AT or MT tyres for the 18" rims as we've already established...

About to invest in something other than the OEM Wranglers...

Down to - for price reasons - either the MAXXIS MT-762 muddy, or the Mickey Thompson ATZ all-terrain.

I'm advised that the Maxxis MT is going to make a major difference to the ride in the D3 SE TDV6 (like bad difference - akin to running Simex JT-2's on the Disco2 I used to have), but it's like 100/corner cheaper than the Mickey Thompson ATZ's...

Do I really neeeeed the MT pattern = probably not....

Help!!!!!!!!

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #1278716th Feb 2007 7:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Simon,

What kind of 4WDing do you plan to do and how much will you do vs bitumen use?

It will be a compromise if it is your only set of wheels.

You need to weigh up putting up with possibly more noise and poorer fuel consumption if the MT's are really blocky in design vs the AT's.

Although I started with a second set of rims I actually regretted starting with Cooper ST's (AT's) having been bogged in very slippery mud which the the STT's could have got through. I've subsequently got STT's now and never looked back but then I can take the rims off and wack the 18" Wranglers on for a bit of quiet and better fuel consumption.

Hope that might be of some help.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1278956th Feb 2007 11:10 am
simon_arch1

I used to do a lot fairly extreme 4wding - in the D2 with Goodyear MTRs - and had some simex as backup for tough trips...

Now - it's going to be less extreme - and less often - so leaning towards the AT tyre - and yes - everthing is a compromise... if I'm only running one set.

Neutral
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #1279146th Feb 2007 12:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Hey Simon, are Nitto ATs available in Australia? I really like mine on/off road & think they run a bit cheaper than the Mickeys.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #1279196th Feb 2007 12:25 pm
simon_arch1

Thanks sideview - I looked into that - but no Sad

I really wants ome MTR's in a 31-32" for the 18" rim - but wishful thinking isn't working...

cheers
Post #1279266th Feb 2007 12:47 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Bummer. I'll wish along with you Simon, maybe that will help Wink
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #1279296th Feb 2007 1:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >