Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Vibration over 55mph , fingers crossed now resolved
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 16 <123 ... 141516>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

May i quickly pick ur brains plse

If I put a pressure gauge on the fuel test point near the back of the engine would that rule out 100% that the filter pipes are fitted correctly plse , alas just keeps bugging me

Or would I need to get underneath, remove the cover and check it that way please

Million thks as always

This was the last picture I took

Post #230767915th Sep 2022 2:09 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I think you would need to check the fuel filter to be sure. You did have a fuel code to start with. Not sure if you found the reason for it

I don't think a more expensive obd reader will help

My actuator stops at 75% with the engine off.

You would expect the actuator travel to be 0-99%. Mine moves way too quickly to fully read the numbers on the screen. If yours numbers are slower then maybe it still is a sticky actuator arm

A thought, to rule out more than anything, regarding the problem being at 50mph and the vibration. I wondered if it was gearbox related and the torque convertor switching state.
When road worthy you could drive it in manual mode up past 50mph and see if the problem occurs at a higher speed

Post #230770615th Sep 2022 12:21 pm
gstuart

Hi Pete

Many thks and indeed will double check that filter to rule it out

Funny enough I wondered that ref the % range of the turbo actuator arm , know the VGT vanes have a maximum of 60% movement

Thank u so much for taking the time to see what the rest % angle is with the engine off , this week I did put 125 ML of the VGT cleaner , maybe that will help over time

It’s details are

Description

JLM Turbo Cleaner for Diesel Engines.

JLM Turbo Cleaner is one of the best Turbo Cleaners available on the market right now. It is an inexpensive product, easy to use and removes dirt and soot extremely effectively.

BENEFITS

Reduce soot emissions
Restore engine power
Cleans variable geometry turbo’s (VGT’s)

That’s another great idea pete , with regards to using manual mode, I’ll certainly do that , thk u , as a side note never seen the rev counter fluctuate , plus really need to find someone who could change my ATF fluid for me

Ok I won’t worry about a a more expensive reader , however I’m tempted to use my Autel AP200 as a comparison, alas don’t know if it shows details regarding the turbo

will also be interesting if there’s any difference after getting all the brakes freed up, alas don’t know if it’s just the caliM
per slider pins or the caliper pistons themselves , plus if it’s worth replacing all 4 x calipers

Plus out of curiosity I found out what the cost would be to supply and fit a new turbo, quotes averaging out around 2.5k Big Cry

Don’t mind admitting since I replaced all the intercooler hoses, clamps etc and cured the EGR pipe leaks, it really did drive very well , acceleration is like night and day with how it now picks up

Hopefully in the mean time will try my best to remove the fuel filter cover and check the connections

Thks so much and honestly mate am so grateful to u

Post #230775715th Sep 2022 8:12 pm
Pete K

Until you fix the problem or are going to actually use the car it’s not really worth spending lots of money on it.

Post #230775915th Sep 2022 8:37 pm
gstuart

Indeed very true Thumbs Up

Must admit feel like a lot progress has been made after fitting all new silicone intercooler hoses / clamps and air leaks sorted out , along with a lot of wiring / connectors individually tested

Plus a huge thanks as now have a new path to follow , first checking the fuel filter followed by the Mot around Oct/ Nov , then go from there

Post #230776615th Sep 2022 11:27 pm
gstuart

Hi everyone

Hope ur all keeping safe and well

Update on the disco , spoke to my mechanic who does all my servicing regarding the limp mode and vibration, he picked the disco up on 28th sep for its MOT to which it passed Thumbs Up

So had some advisories from last time regarding the rear lower wishbones and this time the near side front and rear brakes sticking

Spoke to him and he said if i get all the parts will do everything in the spring ,

He took it for an extensive drive down a motorway and dual carriageway , nothing , no vibration, no limp mode , so I’m wondering if after all the work I’ve done, including greasing up the turbo actuator arm and pouring some of the turbo actuator cleaner in the tank has started to work

He advised me to take it out on some A and B roads and dual carriaway etc and let him know if there’s any issues

Plugged his scanner in, zero faults

Am over the moon but holding my breath just in case it comes back, will monitor the actuator but hopefully me using grease this time instead of an anti seize spray will keep the actuator free

Lastly , I can’t even begin to say how grateful I am for the awesome help , a million thanks as I know I wouldn’t have got anywhere near resolving this without the fantastic expertise, thanks again Bow down Bow down

Post #23094031st Oct 2022 11:56 pm
gstuart

Plus out of curiosity I’ve generally been looking around at brake kits , alas as I don’t tow wondering if there’s any point going for the larger v8 discs

what do u think of the following kit please , are just plain vented discs , not the drilled / grooved ones

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275341482881

Many thks as always

Brand ALLMAKES 4X4 / UNIBRAKES

LANDROVER DISCOVERY 3 COMPLETE BRAKE OVERHAUL KIT ..........
INCLUDES...
FRONT BRAKE DISCS X2
FRONT PADS SET.
FRONT WEAR SENSOR
FRONT BRAKE CALIPERS BOTH FRONT
REAR BRAKE DISCS X2
REAR BRAKE PADS SET
REAR WEAR SENSOR
REAR BRAKE CALIPERS X2
FULL SET OF 4 HANDBRAKE SHOES AND FULL FITTING KIT.

Post #23094041st Oct 2022 11:59 pm
Pete K

The v8 brake upgrade is good value from AF. But if you have never had a problem with fade, then I guess you don't need them.

That ebay link looks good. Everything you need front and rear for £350!

Post #23094412nd Oct 2022 12:21 pm
classic kev

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

That's good news Gary, I know you've been chasing this one down for a long time, glad your patience has been rewarded.

V8 brakes......mmmmmmmmmmmm. I suppose it depends on how you drive and also if you tow or if you carry a lot of heavy stuff in your car. I will admit to having a heavy right foot but I've not really found D3 brakes are particularly wanting for bite. Admittedly anything the size and weight of a D3 is not going to stop as quickly as a hot hatch or sports car but in the scheme of things, if you've got to do a service replacement of the discs and pads then perhaps the extra over cost to do the upgrade at the same time may well make sense. For me, I would also have to replace the 18" wheels so it would start getting a bit more expensive where the cost/benefit balance is less clear and less value for money. HTH.

Post #23094542nd Oct 2022 4:52 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you do the brakes go for ceramic pads, you get very little brake dust. I just replaced my ceramic pads with mormal ones and i am instantly regretting it.
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #23094562nd Oct 2022 4:57 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

classic kev wrote:
That's good news Gary, I know you've been chasing this one down for a long time, glad your patience has been rewarded.

V8 brakes......mmmmmmmmmmmm. I suppose it depends on how you drive and also if you tow or if you carry a lot of heavy stuff in your car. I will admit to having a heavy right foot but I've not really found D3 brakes are particularly wanting for bite. Admittedly anything the size and weight of a D3 is not going to stop as quickly as a hot hatch or sports car but in the scheme of things, if you've got to do a service replacement of the discs and pads then perhaps the extra over cost to do the upgrade at the same time may well make sense. For me, I would also have to replace the 18" wheels so it would start getting a bit more expensive where the cost/benefit balance is less clear and less value for money. HTH.

I run the V8 upgrade on the front brakes (have them for the back and will do when I change the discs - very soon) and have 18 inch wheels so no need to change. It does make a BIG difference to the way the car stops and even better if you tow a trailer as I do on a regular basis. Not reason not to go for it Gary as those 19s you bought off me would be perfect for it Very Happy Maltings do some good kits and you can mix and match, the V8 caliper carriers are only another £20 each I think so why not? Laughing
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #23094572nd Oct 2022 5:15 pm
gstuart

Many thks as always , very grateful and appreciate the heads up regarding ceramic pads , may I ask what make were they plse

Indeed have the 19” wheels I got from nige , so that’s very handy regarding the upgrade plus suppose with the bigger wheels would be beneficial to get the V8 upgrade for not much more money

Oh wow didn’t realise there were so many pads to choose from

https://maltings4x4store.co.uk/categories/...-pads.html

Funny enough when I emailed malting’s they said to give them a call so I can make up a brake kit

Will more than likely get the new tyres and wheels fitted first , am going to try the wild peaks , will then see if anyone wants the 17’s as I won’t have any use for them anymore

Am so grateful and can’t thk everyone enough for the awesome help

Post #23094852nd Oct 2022 9:45 pm
gstuart

Just found these

https://maltings4x4store.co.uk/discovery-3...-l322-rrs/

Plus think I’ll stay with the normal vented discs over the drilled and grooved ones

Post #23094912nd Oct 2022 10:05 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes thats the ones i had originally when i did the upgrade, i had no brake dust on my wheels at all. With normal pads my wheels are black with dust within a few hundred miles.
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #23095043rd Oct 2022 6:14 am
gstuart

That’s Brilliant , many thks for letting me know

So just got to work out how to get all the bits without anything being surplice to requirements , ie if it’s worth buying the V8 kit then adding the ceramic pads

Will write out everything I need and then see what the costs are together and individually, ie

Front 337mm Meyle vented discs + carrier , pad clips,
Rear 350mm Meyle vented discs + carrier , pad clips

2 x front callipers + sliding pins + fixing bolts
2 x rear callipers + sliding pins + fixing bolts

Front and rear pad wear sensor leads

Front and rear ceramic brake pads

Rear EPB shoes plus fixing kit

2 x front brake disc back plates

Post #23095073rd Oct 2022 6:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 15 of 16 <123 ... 141516>
Jump to: