Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Views on D5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

He’s instigated a major security check as obviously “our” log-ins have been compromised! Laughing Laughing

Post #220130812th Jan 2021 9:26 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

LT wrote:
After all is said and done, if you like the D5 and it does what you want it to do, then have one. If it doesn’t, don’t.

Being a D3/4 forum, comparisons are inevitable, but that’s a mistake IMO. There simply isn’t a direct replacement for the D4, you’re going to have to compromise on something.

Thumbs Up

The Christmas edition of Autocar, when commenting on last years sales figures for LR, said-“The rise in market share has come from the new Defender. Time will tell whether the Defender 110 will eventually replace the unloved platform-sharing Discovery”.

Time will tell and we could discuss the pros and the cons of the D5 forever (we probably will 😆). As I said above, if you like it and it does what you want, get one. The opinions of others really aren’t relevant. Thumbs Up

Edited to add: If you do like the D5, I highly recommend the SD6 engine, it goes like stink. A huge improvement over the previous 3.0 diesel.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #220131512th Jan 2021 9:43 am
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I tried the ‘build your own’ tool on the LR website last night, for a new Defender.

My chariot for the last year has been a FF 5.0 Supercharged, apart from its liking for fuel its an engine I’ve become increasingly fond of Smile So with that in mind I did go for the high powered petrol variant and it was also top of the range and I also threw in a couple of indulgent extras but still left quite a few boxes unticked.

I wasn’t expecting cheap but nearly fell off my chair when the total price came to £94k Shocked Shocked

Needless to say that won’t be happening any time soon. Despite the old Defenders ability to hold value very well I’d love to see what a gas guzzling £94k defender will be worth in 3 years Confused
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #220135812th Jan 2021 12:15 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I’d love to see what a gas guzzling £94k defender will be worth in 3 years

I'm looking forward to that very thing too. It might be a nice second hand buy.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #220136512th Jan 2021 12:50 pm
J77

Scotland 

Especially around the 31st December 2029 Laughing
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #220144112th Jan 2021 4:50 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

probably more when people avoid electric cars
 Mike  
Post #220160213th Jan 2021 8:34 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

following this and all the talk over overlapping and models being aspirational stepping stones, etc.

It's all pretty much spot on and in the trade its all about filling 'white space'

Historically manufacturers had clear model derivatives pretty much based on physical size and engine capacity alone and the only overlap was the top spec/priced one in a lower model was similar to the bottom spec/priced one from the next model up. This is the white space that can be filled with a 'niche' model.

It is technically to provide the car/model that people didn't really know they wanted until sales & marketing groups told them they did.

In JLR the first of those white space cars was the Evoque - luxury small Range Rover. In terms of size/equipment/type the Freelander (and later DS) offered what people needed but they sold a brand/image that did pretty much the same (or less in some cases such as off-road ability, load-lugging, space, etc).

Velar does fill a white space between Evoque and RRS, in size if nothing else. Price is less relevant really, just an opportunity to leverage some more spend out of a purchaser!

Problem is Evoque, Velar and RRS are all off different platforms and architecture and thus expensive for the manufacturer. That is why the advent of chassis' that can be lengthened/widened easily (the MLA) is so common in car manufacturing now (started by Aston Martin to some extent with its VH chassis - Vertical/Horizontal - that was adjusted in length/width by use of different sized aluminium 'planks'.

The ultimate exponents of niche/white space are BMW with their 'infill' models sitting between models but has now been stretched so far a 2 door and a 4 door variant of something has it's own model designation! Add in all these slopey-back softroaders and I think even they are stretching it now with some designated models having completely different platforms (front/rear drive, etc.) despite supposedly being the 'same' range model (2 series for example)

I did my MBA thesis on chassis and powertrain 'sharing' in 2000 and at that time VW were the exponents of the art with something like 45 VW, Seat and Audi models off about four basic platforms yet Rover had a unique platform for every model and much lower volumes when trying to compete.

Oh, and I'd take the 'same but in a different frock' Jaguar F-Pace now over a Velar (as indeed I have, ordered SWMBO the former as her next car Thumbs Up )

Post #220160513th Jan 2021 8:45 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Thanks astonbuilder - a nice "view from the inside". Thumbs Up

The bit about VW and Rover was notable and could probably be an entire thread discussion on its own regarding the loss of so many of the British makes.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #220162413th Jan 2021 9:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >